reload costs

banus02

just finished some reloading and the good lady was doing the books,put my head in the door to say i was off out when she says ,ah good come and sit down!  anyway the out come was that my reloading cost per bullet in march 2017 were 49pence per loaded round,the new price is 72 pence per round for december 2017 .the increase in powder,primers and bullets is 23 pence each .may not sound a lot but in the 9 months  i have fired 436 .243 rounds .294 6.5x55 rounds and 267 308 rounds,plus .22 and 223 but dont log these as they are vermin use and leisure time.so as i am informed my bullets have cost an extra £100.28 for .243.£67.62 for 6.5x55 and £61.41 for 308. so an increase of £229.31 to reload.i chose not to ask the total cost and made my way out.i dont price cases or my time reloading but its scarry how the price of every thing has gone up. my wife is my accountant and makes sure i dont over pay the tax man.

I use to reload in the house till my wife found out what cost what she kicked me into the garage ! And now she’s got the kitchen back.

I keep a spreadsheet of my reloading. Primarily it’s how I keep track of the number of rounds fired in each rifle and how I control and evaluate my load development.

I also have a little formula for each calibre that automatically calculates the cost of each round and the total ongoing cost. The latter cell is well out of screen view because it is frightening. 

If my good wife ever saw that cell she would have a fit.

One thing is certain, with costs rising like they have, plinking is no more.

7 hours ago, alpha1 said:

Luckily my Wife has no interest whatsoever in shooting. She has no idea what stuff costs and I would like to keep it that way.:P

Being the correct way to go about it.

I still think shooting is a pretty reasonable hobby personally. You could compare it with a saturday afternoon ticket to a premier league match. I'm not a footballer, but I do know the top clubs charge a fortune for 90 minutes. Anyone got any figures, just out of interest ?

I also know a round of golf on a decent course is silly money.

GB is an expensive country to live in, no matter how you roll really.

On ‎26‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, Saracen said:

My old dragon really hasn't got a clue how much things  cost, nor much idea of what I get up to, and where I've been.  That's a great thing, and shall remain that way.  ?

This....

2 hours ago, JB1 said:

If I needed to keep track of the cost per bang I'm afraid i would pack up shooting and take up dominoes. 

And this....

Premier League season tickets for Man U start at just under £800 but then again I have no interest in watching 22 over paid millionaires chase a bag of wind around a field....and don't get me started on golf.

Shooting is as expensive as you wish to make it really, shoot a lot pay a lot. 

Shooting or any other hobby,sport is only as expensive as you make it ,compete at anything and it costs a stupid amount .try motor sport if you think shooting costs?

If you want to enjoy yourself, you have to spend some money how much and on what is up to the individual. It's only money just have to earn some more. i done a 380 mile round trip the other day to go and see Spud, spent nearly 1k but i enjoy what i'm doing and that's what it's all about.

P.S. Spud is a decent fellow, and it was worth the visit, even recommended a decent cafe for breakfast.

However you want to argue it, reloading, if you shoot past a few hundred rounds a year, has to be cheaper than buying factory with the exception of something like shooting 223 plinking rounds available at a fraction of what you can reload for! (£18/50 rounds from Hornady for example for fmj).

Comparing shooting to other sports is meaningless.  Shooting is shooting and we don't do it because we can't afford premier season tickets or don't want to pound the local golf course.  Most of us do it because we can put food on the table, compete in challenging and (for the most part) friendly competition, and because we have a healthy interest in it.  It costs what it costs and if the costs rise to become less affordable, I'll just shoot a bit less.  My rifles will probably out last me, ditto my shotguns.

If we're comparing the cost of shooting with knitting or golf, then it can be interesting to see what some of my friends end up paying for their hobbies.  One mate pays for local golf club membership at £750 annually plus £30 green fees per game. If he plays 3 games a month that's £90/month or £1080 annually plus membership so £1830 a year. Added to that he plays away for several weekends a year with mates and pays his son's membership. Total annual bill is over £4K.  His golf sticks aren't cheap either at around grand for the set plus another few hundred for the trolley and then the same on the bag and consumables.  His annual budget is way more than I spend on shooting or am ever likely to but he loves it for the challenge, the enjoyment and the social craic  and why not if it is affordable to you?   I guess Golf can be done way cheaper with flexible memberships and cheaper kit but to golf regularly is still going to land you with a bill which comes to probably more than most people here spend on ammo every year.

I have another mate who loves to disappear on his motorbike for European jaunts.  he spends more on ferry tickets and hotels annually than I do on ammo costs.  The list goes on.

Shooting is as expensive as you want to make it but can still be enjoyed regularly at affordable prices.

Costs are rising though mostly due to the geared effects of the pound to the dollar catching up with us but it's not drastic compared with say fuel cost rises in the past 5 years!

50 minutes ago, Kevgun said:

If you want to enjoy yourself, you have to spend some money how much and on what is up to the individual. It's only money just have to earn some more. i done a 380 mile round trip the other day to go and see Spud, spent nearly 1k but i enjoy what i'm doing and that's what it's all about.

P.S. Spud is a decent fellow, and it was worth the visit, even recommended a decent cafe for breakfast.

it was good to meet you , and thanks for thje kind words , the cafe aint bad is it ? we have big plans for the new year some of which include lots more you tube stuff, me doing this full time from march onwards, more products more stock more bargains 

My 6BR reloads cost 55.4p each, half day weekday lane hire with a marker (shared with 4 mates) is £16 low season, £20 high season.

Diesel for return trip to Bisley (100mls) is £12. So if I shoot 50 rounds, £27, the total cost for a morning's fun averages out to £57.

We shoot between 25 and 30 half days a year at Bisley, so total cost is approx £1500 a year. That's each (for two of us).

Around what we used to pay 30 years ago for two scuba diving and skiing trips abroad each year..............

Re-Pete

Whether it is viable cost wise  to reload depends on what you are reloading and why.

.308 ammo is cheap compared to the cost of the components. 55p ish to reload or 79p to buy

6BR ammo 53p to reload or £1.90 to buy

Ok if i bought ammo then I would be left with a good once fired  case. My reload costs include the cost of the case spread over 10 firings.

I dont buy new .308 brass, but keep all the cases when I do buy ammo.

I reload for a few reasons, I want Acuracy, I want cheap, I want lots.

I didnt go the cheapest route equipment wise and have sunk about 1K into my setup. But over the life of my 6br barrel I would reload 4k rounds saving £1per round (conservative, assuming that I could sell once fired cases for 45p each ). That pays for the equipment AND my next barrel and I still have a few bob left to re invest in reloading and shooting some more.

Do I save money over all....... NO, but I shoot alot more and have better Ammo. I also spend alot less time sat infront of the television, facebook and arguing with the other half.

Why do people put a value on their spare time????????? Reloading in my spare time has no monetary value to me. I dont put a value on the time I would have spent watching TV. Who says that thy have just watched the news for 30 mins at a cost of £12? Im not losing money because im not at my job. Im doing it in my free time. Only put a value on your time if reloading is preventing you from going out to work and earning hard cash.

Don’t drink too much, do not smoke or do drugs, chasing women would only leave me catching my breath ? so shooting is my only real vice, I’m lucky enough to be able to afford it, but is comes in not even a close second to supporting my family and home.

I reload because it will get the best out of my rifles and in some cases the only way to shoot some cartridges, and, beleive it or not, I quite enjoy doing it!

As Mark said , why bother comparing shooting to say watching football- you are partaking in shooting, football you are only titular to the event?

I find the two extremes above of either your wife knows to the penny what you spend or she does not know anything as strange, but each to their own 

Do what you are happy with and fulfills your needs, it does not matter what others think - it’s down to you, just go and enjoy your sport 

T

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/12/2017 at 12:21 PM, Brillo said:

I keep a spreadsheet of my reloading. Primarily it’s how I keep track of the number of rounds fired in each rifle and how I control and evaluate my load development.

I also have a little formula for each calibre that automatically calculates the cost of each round and the total ongoing cost. The latter cell is well out of screen view because it is frightening. 

If my good wife ever saw that cell she would have a fit.

One thing is certain, with costs rising like they have, plinking is no more.

Care to share a copy with us excel inepts?

Archived