22 LR Average Group from your gun

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, No i deer said:

What set up..??

Gun,ammo,scope,rests etc

Sako Quad Heavy Barrel, which is just the Varmit in a plastic stock, not nearly as classy but lighter. Purchased it blind 2nd hand, worked out well. No tuner. Sling swivels removed as these get in the way. Turned out much better than I could of ever hoped for, intend to use it for Sporter class bench rest as and when that happens again (It will never be able to compete against the custom made or the very nice Swiss guns though).

Delta Titanium 6-24x42 AO Non-IR Mil Dot 1/8 MOA. Set at x24 which I always use when ammo testing, helps eliminate some error. Has a fairly fine centre of cross hair which helps.

Eley Tenex though RWS R50 produces very similar results. Why oh why does it have to prefer the more expensive fodder. Since settling on Tenex I do not pout anything else does the tube. Whilst this is great for targets I don't know of the practicality, especially cost wise, for non-range work. Tried numerous different bullets to arrive at this conclusion, half the fun/frustration.

Not yet worked out the barrel cleaning regime.

Batch numbers of the same brand will produce differing results making continuity yet more difficult, aargh.

Higher priced bullets tend to provide greater continuity. From everything I've read sorting these is pointless whilst sorting cheaper bullets can pay dividends.

Shooters much better than I will take their rifles to Eley's test centre and batch test, when they find a suitable batch they purchase tons of it. The test centre eliminates almost every factor that usually thwarts our best laid plans i.e barrel/action minus the stock clamped to the test bed.

Front rest, Cicognani Ergal Adv. Not ideal due to rounded underside of fore end sitting on a flat bag, the rifle has a tendency to cant. A traditional bag top would accommodate the front end better. Lenzi Rear bag.

Wind reading is a dark art that I am a long long way from mastering, certainly a lot easier on a range than in the field.

Whilst the user is a big factor on the performance managing/mitigating the sum of the parts goes a long way. This is much easier to accomplish in a range setting than in the field.

Not forgetting that despite however much you plan and prepare there are many factors that fight to spoil your plans, as so often happens.

Groups were benchrested then.. I got some replacement SEB bags that slope down too the middle which may suit your forend better..

I got them because I've 2 diff stocks. Ones flat bottomed and my other front bag rider has rails/so ski's so both styles didn't suit a flat top because the rails grove it making the flat bottom stock rock on firing because it's not flat. 

37 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Groups were benchrested then.. I got some replacement SEB bags that slope down too the middle which may suit your forend better..

I got them because I've 2 diff stocks. Ones flat bottomed and my other front bag rider has rails/so ski's so both styles didn't suit a flat top because the rails grove it making the flat bottom stock rock on firing because it's not flat. 

If I could achieve those groups standing, kneeling or sitting I’d be an Olympic shooter, sadly far far from it. Possible prone off a bipod and rear bag, but I’m to old and crook to go laying about on cold floors. For which Seb rest is the bag you mention?

Benching helps eliminate a considerable amount of user error thereby giving a better idea of the rifles capability. Still need to master the old wind reading, probably crack it in time to retire.

My LV/HV both have flat 3” fore ends, standard for the sport so the flat bag suits. For UKBR sporter the forend must be convex, max 2.25”, on a rifle designed to be fired from the shoulder, no such issues with international sporter though.

TwoDogs,

could I ask a favour? Can you chamber one of your rounds that work in your rifle by hand, as in light finger pressure.

Does it seat home with no resistance or a slight pressure for the last 20-30 thou i.e. is there a small amount of bullet going into the taper or rifling?

Thanks. Terry 

I could benchrest my 22 as I've a SEB neo and a nice rear bag but I have the same issue with the scope magnification max being 9.

The hold would definately be better..

I may try that next time if the conditions are perfect.

I had 1 go today. The 4th shot strayed..

Probaly shooter error...

I could see the hole in the white but had no i deer the other 4 went in that small group..

Very pleased with the 4 shots.. used eley match 

20210306_172758.jpg

50yds.

Cracking little group. One of my best.. shame about the 4th shot grrrrr.

The thing I like most the poi is the same group after group week after week. That's quality ammo and worth every penny in my book.

Next to no wind so that helped

Then being inspired by Lapua and his 150 m shooting I thought I would try the same with the R50 and the R100 ( but went an extra 1 m just to be a smart arse  😂)   4” steel gong  10/10 shots on both .

not the best video as it was on my iPhone . 

please excuse my mistake calling the R50 .... R100 instead 

in case any was wondering the R50 are standard velocity and the R100 are high velocity 

the R50 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e90vszjl7dkhtxo/Video 07-03-2021%2C 14 40 48.mov?dl=0

the R100 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf6wgb6ufw6jybp/Video 07-03-2021%2C 14 47 29.mov?dl=0

56 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

Right then , 

todays efforts @ 50m  and all 10 shot groups 

good selection of ammo 

33D0408D-E124-490B-B63D-78BB3C7F24E3.jpeg.84c73a644a34f586b75da4d29d92c793.jpeg

the RWS R50 a very clear winner closely followed by Tenex and R100 draw 

Just to add the R100 would probably have been second place but got a bit excited.

Nice job! That r50 looks lovely!

Could ask how the report was on the eley subs? That group is pretty nice for hp subs.

great shooting.