22 LR Average Group from your gun

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, No i deer said:

A mate who's following this thread who isn't a member on here said he's getting the eley match going supersonic...!!

Interesting to hear! I’m intrigued  by the idea of the ignition, but I’m leaning towards a tight chamber being a key Component to pushing the velocities up. I read that after around 16” rf starts to slow, so combined with test barrels being at 26” and a little extra pressure from a tight chamber and potentially a faster ignition perhaps that’s what’s pushing the speed up.

To my knowledge, they all run the standard Anschutz match chamber except for the 54.30

The Anschutz chamber is just .0001" off from front to back (they are tapered)

Won’t chamber CCI stingers , mini mags , winni subs only just and a few others that are really hard to close blot on , RWS , SK , Lapua , some Eley just drop in . 

41 minutes ago, No i deer said:

SK standard plus group then the eley match on the rectagonal target..

Left eley target was single fed.. intresting that 3 were just about touching.. very fiddly single loading though

20210301_075230.jpg

20210301_075209.jpg

To my eye, the single fed and mag fed groups are the same size?

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

To my eye, the single fed and mag fed groups are the same size?

Agreed..

Until i try a high mag scope I can't see me bettering 0.711 group I shot with Eley match unless I get lucky

Following with interest.

My personal experiences with ammo, for what they are worth.

When initially starting with .22 I tried numerous brands in each rifle. SK seems to get mentioned a lot, they were frankly not very good and I don’t use them. The following rifles have their own preferences.

Factory standard Sako Quad heavy barrel - Eley Tenex or RWS R50, pretty much even stevens, both capable of .22 size groups @50m when the planets are aligned. Average grouping, one ragged hole, example targets posted at top of page 6 of this thread.

Annie 1903, entry level target rifle. Lapua ammo totally gums up the bolt, after fewer than 20 rounds, causing it to seize though when I can get them working the Centre X and Midas plus are fantastic. I have settled for the next best R50.

1963 BSA International Mk 3 fantastic with R100 whereas the 1968 Mk 3 works best with R50.

R50 quoted at 330m/s whereas R100 at 345m/s. Never chronographed so cannot confirm or otherwise. I understand that the R50 designed for 50m and the R100 for 100m shooting.

The R100’s leave the barrel at a tadge over the speed of sound (a variable depending on many factors), at what point they go transonic i’ve no idea, you can certainly tell from the muzzle report that they are supersonic. I make the assumption that at 100m the R100’s have dropped out of the transonic zone and stabilised.

No i deer, if you can get a higher mag scope it will make a difference to your groupings. Certainly good for ammo testing whether any good fro real time use is a different matter. As well as high mag a fine cross hair and a centre dot will help, all about having exactly the same POA each time. 

Match chambers heave been mentioned, if you follow any of the American sites, you will find a whole can or worms. It seems that if you were to get a custom built .22 you would probably get the chamber cut to a specific brand and model of ammo.  Gruenig and Elmiger, used by many Olympic shooters don’t specify their chamber dimensions but seem to prefer Tenex and R50.

15 minutes ago, Twodogs said:

you can get a higher mag scope it will make a difference to your groupings.

@No i deeri think that’s critical, what mag are you shooting in fclass? 
I was zeroing a older 222 at the weekend with a 6x s&b at 100yrds beautiful  glass and fine for vermin but I couldn’t see the dot at all, the cross hairs completely enveloped the 1.5” dot and on the 1” ones, I had to come on to it from the top right as was impossible to define the centre in the x hairs once over it. Without being able to ensure the hairs are in the centre it’s difficult to define the accuracy.

im going to pop a high mag scope on it as I want to fully check its accuracy, it shot sub 1”, but no way fo checking if it could be better without the mag...

50 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

None of my C/F have ever shot factory ammo , in fact I couldn’t tell you the last time I bought any 🤔 I started reloading 25 years ago and have never looked back . It’s half the fun for me 😂 

don't let BD see that! 😂

2 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Grabbed these this morning 

D4E17067-4F1C-404B-B0EE-7BD9CDAE09BB.jpeg

Great selection. Enjoy.

In theory you get better consistency the more you pay.

The next question, grenade into bunker and stand back, to clean the barrel between makes or not?

Don't clean mine..

Use a bore snake occasionly..

To the f class question.

I use 40 mag most of the time. Turn it down in mirage..

I gauged the dot in on the black diamond in the middle of the orange targets and I can get about 7 of my reticle dots inside the diamond at 100yds. Ultra precise small dot