22 LR Average Group from your gun

Thought it may be nice to see what users of 22LR achieved from their outfit at 50 and 100 yds 

Pic of groups at 50/100 and information on ;

Rifle, Scope, Ammunition , any modifications carried out

May be interesting to see what brand is dependable accuracy 

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was holding minute of baby bunny at 160m yesterday. Puts 10 into a thumbnail at 50m with geco semi auto hv. Bergara b14, factory trigger, mil/zerostop nxs 3.5-15x50, CI armour moderator. 160m was 46 clicks elevation, and 15 for wind!

19019413-4302-41BD-B080-36118FA6859F.jpeg

4CBCB77E-BA96-4D3F-A2C4-AC7DE6E13764.jpeg

I know these targets have been seen on here before and were shot some while ago but thought it might be some sort of starting point - also illustrates the point that a single selected group doesn't begin to tell the story.

These were shot with my 40 year old Voere semi-auto using the old Eley sub 40gn HP's (Green box) at 68 yards - groups measured C to C.

E85FTe1l.png?1

7 hours ago, 1066 said:

I know these targets have been seen on here before and were shot some while ago but thought it might be some sort of starting point - also illustrates the point that a single selected group doesn't begin to tell the story.

These were shot with my 40 year old Voere semi-auto using the old Eley sub 40gn HP's (Green box) at 68 yards - groups measured C to C.

E85FTe1l.png?1

This "A single selected group doesn't tell the story"

Let's see 3 consecutive five shot groups on the same piece of paper.

Some very nice shooting there

The MTR seems to perform well as does the Annie 

Good call

Three consecutive targets of five rounds each at 50 and 100 ?

1 minute ago, Ronin said:

Some very nice shooting there

The MTR seems to perform well as does the Annie 

I was surprised that with above average ammo the results were what they were, certainly not complaining and I'm not into competition shooting as that'll get silly expensive, especially with the cost of ammo.  The SK I pay between £120 to £140 for a thousand, and the odd flyer doesn't bother me too much. 

7 hours ago, lapua said:

This was holding minute of baby bunny at 160m yesterday. Puts 10 into a thumbnail at 50m with geco semi auto hv. Bergara b14, factory trigger, mil/zerostop nxs 3.5-15x50, CI armour moderator. 160m was 46 clicks elevation, and 15 for wind!

19019413-4302-41BD-B080-36118FA6859F.jpeg

4CBCB77E-BA96-4D3F-A2C4-AC7DE6E13764.jpeg

Pardon my French, but that's fuqun disgraceful. 

Show the animals some basic human respect and decency; put some targets up if you want to plink with a 22lr at 160m.

2 hours ago, brown dog said:

Pardon my French, but that's fuqun disgraceful. 

Show the animals some basic human respect and decency; put some targets up if you want to plink with a 22lr at 160m.

what he says, get a grip.

Nothing special here. Just batch testing SKC match ammo in a rifle with known accuracy at 50 Metres. Rifle is Anschutz 1712 resting in an MDT LSS stock. It is usually used as a Silhouette rifle in a  bedded McMillan Stock. Top bull was to get zero. Next two down were using a soft rear bag. Bottom two bulls were using a SEB hard rear bag. In general, across 3 different rifles, I have not found any ammo to be better than SKC Rifle match and that includes all the usual high end brands. The target is the standard ISU 50 Metre Match rifle target. modified for use with scopes, hence the white centre

20200831_201554.jpg

My sako quad varmint synthetic with the old green box eley subs at 50 yards . 

5 shot groups. 

Scope is a clearidge xp5 4.5-22x50 

The other target is a 10 shot group I shot with my mates anschutz 1710 varmint with lapua centre x  at 50 yards. 

I don't have any 100 yard groups but I will try and shoot some when I get a chance. 

20200831_205905.jpg

20200831_210003.jpg

9 hours ago, palo said:

My sako quad varmint synthetic with the old green box eley subs at 50 yards . 

5 shot groups. 

Scope is a clearidge xp5 4.5-22x50 

The other target is a 10 shot group I shot with my mates anschutz 1710 varmint with lapua centre x  at 50 yards. 

I don't have any 100 yard groups but I will try and shoot some when I get a chance. 

20200831_205905.jpg

20200831_210003.jpg

The old 40gr eley subs were brilliant. The new 38gr eley subs are poo..!!

Far more representative to see consecutive targets - and to include every shot in a group.

I think, for 22lr, with wind such a massive factor, an indication of indoor/outdoor would be an interesting bit of extra data.

Hard to judge group sizes.  

Fortyvoats; averaging 0.6 - 0.7in ?

Palo; the red tgt, avg 0.5?  Interesting to note how the groups move around the POA, if they were overlaid into one group, 1.5 - 2" ?  wind?

2 hours ago, brown dog said:

Far more representative to see consecutive targets - and to include every shot in a group.

I think, for 22lr, with wind such a massive factor, an indication of indoor/outdoor would be an interesting bit of extra data.

Hard to judge group sizes.  

Fortyvoats; averaging 0.6 - 0.7in ?

Top 2 groups 0.5, bottom two groups o.4 inch. The black bull is 10mm diameter.

3 hours ago, palo said:

I did contact eley about them and they said the only thing they changed was the packaging. 

I'd be very surprised if they hadn't changed anything bar the packaging..

They were the best ammo in my gun originally and now there the worst..!!

I used to shoot prone smallbore to a reasonable level and went batch testing at Eley. Back then you could only test Tenex. It was done in a 50m tunnel with the action clamped in a dummy stock in a vice to minimise any errors.

The difference from batch to batch was staggering. I never did find a really good batch and generally use RWS R50 which consistently suited my Anschutz 2013.

The point being what works one day might not the next depending on when the ammo was made.

Alan

Up until fairly recently you could check the actual figures for the Eley lot numbers and how they performed through the test barrels. Typing in the lot number, found on the box of Tenex and Match ammunition would give the number of rounds produced in that particular lot, the velocity ES and Ave. and the 10 shot group sizes shot through each individual barrel, also the 200 round group size shot through all barrels.

Unfortunately the site has been down for some reason for around 6 months.

https://eley.co.uk/find-the-perfect-batch-with-eleys-lot-analyser/

As 20series say  - I find it quite amazing at the difference in various lot numbers and also I'm quite surprised at the small size of the lots - just 20 -30,000 at times.

What I would like to see is a fairly run of the mill batch of Tenex with a 200 group ES of 18mm (These groups are all shot in fixed rests in a tunnel at 50 yards and groups are measured outside edge to outside.)Then the same batch fired through a hand lapped custom barrel with a well adjusted tuner under the same conditions and see how it performs

I think we have a lot to learn about tuners and .22 accuracy.