22 LR Average Group from your gun

10 hours ago, No i deer said:

🤔

Target ammo is new to me as you know..

They were doing so well..

Hopefully I don't get too many as I like the accuracy..

It's gave me great confidence again In the calibre I like most.

I can live with the odd cracker but not firing is a pain. Incidentally the very first shot yesterday was a cracker..

it surprised me..!!

I will try a few more top branded ammo yet before I settle 100 percent on one.

If I can better the eley match that would be quite something.

The R ammo certainly works well in your Annie 🤩

Glad it’s not only me with the eley going supersonic. I chrono’d the match and subs, and found the subs to be faster than the match!!! 

I tried the remaining eley subs I had on the last set above, they were dreadful and only 1 round was sub sonic! Hence trying to get the best out of the rws subs.

I actually spoke with eley about it...  

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Neil , 

this is the exact reason I stoped using them last year.

I bought 3 bricks worth after a very successful couple of weeks playing them to the point I could almost shut my eyes at 50m and score a bench rested 100 any day of the week in my  anni MSR rifle , then the last brick accuracy dropped of a cliff without any logical explanation, I would point out that all three bricks where same batch numbers too. 
that was the point I restarted my old love affair with RWS.
As to why I can offer no rationale explanation , I just know that I have lost confidence in Eley as a whole , even the tenex I have shot has been hit and miss . 
back in the day I was an Eley sponsored shooter when they where hands down the best of the best . A title I feel they have given away over the past 10 years .

shame 😢

Really interesting, how long were you sponsored by eley? As mentioned above I actually spoke with eley directly about my rounds going supersonic on a few occasions and shared data and recordings with them... nothing helpful came from it! Not even a suggestion as to why it might be happening. I’m going to to the r50 and see if they like the barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a BRNO model 2 in the mid sixties and fitted it with a Nikko Sterling scope 4x32 with a simple cross reticule which is thick by current standards.Scope was the only option to buy locally at that time.The rifle was very accurate from the start but a hankering for a centrefire in 1970 saw this sold to a cousin.About 4 years ago I managed to get it back and has been in my cabinet for a couple of years minus a magazine.Bought a plastic one and tried it out today.Now the rifle has not been zeroed since I sold it.I used American Eagle long rifle in it today(came with gun when I got it back)and this is the ten shot group at 50 yards.The rifle was zeroed all those years ago at 100 yards but the pics today were shot at 50.Whilst not amazing by some standards I was very pleased with the result given that the settings were put in place over 50 plus years ago.Says some thing about the quality of both rifle and scope!Second picture is another 10 shot group entered.

B07BA2E8-502C-4F12-8C3D-FA6F29565F6E.jpeg

9F5958FF-83C6-4F77-AECA-30D2876B7D8C.jpeg

2 hours ago, richard griffith said:

I bought a BRNO model 2 in the mid sixties and fitted it with a Nikko Sterling scope 4x32 with a simple cross reticule which is thick by current standards.Scope was the only option to buy locally at that time.The rifle was very accurate from the start but a hankering for a centrefire in 1970 saw this sold to a cousin.About 4 years ago I managed to get it back and has been in my cabinet for a couple of years minus a magazine.Bought a plastic one and tried it out today.Now the rifle has not been zeroed since I sold it.I used American Eagle long rifle in it today(came with gun when I got it back)and this is the ten shot group at 50 yards.The rifle was zeroed all those years ago at 100 yards but the pics today were shot at 50.Whilst not amazing by some standards I was very pleased with the result given that the settings were put in place over 50 plus years ago.Says some thing about the quality of both rifle and scope!Second picture is another 10 shot group entered.

B07BA2E8-502C-4F12-8C3D-FA6F29565F6E.jpeg

9F5958FF-83C6-4F77-AECA-30D2876B7D8C.jpeg

That's amazing!!

I recently purchased a 2nd hand 22LR monstrosity from an Estate sale. It is a short, heavy custom barreled Winchester Model 52 in a target stock, topped with a Unertl 14X. My old eyes are struggling to get the Unertly set but so far, at 50M, The grouping has been superb. R-50 is probably the best but SK Biathlon will best it 50% of the time. The last groups I fired with the SK had 10 shots in about a 3/8" hole. Eye relief and head position is very critical with this old scope so i was very happy with that. Even when I screwed up, the bullet hole ended up behind where the reticle came to rest. It is funny how a good rifle and quality ammo will spoil you. I was bemoaning a group i fired that had a round half a bullet's with out of a group that as essentialy a single hole. This round cut an elipse on the hole that comprised the other four and was, In reality, under a quarter inch CTC at 50 yards. Not exactly a "bad" group.~Andrew

Andrew,

Bit of a classic setup you have there. The Win 52 (which model BTW?) is a great rifle I was taught to shoot prone by a guy who used a 52E in a Freeland tunable stock and had a D as a spare. Think they have one of the tightest (read 'shortest) chambers of any 22rf.

Unertl external adjustment scope - very nice. Which flavour of Unertl ?

Any chance of a photo?

T

Model 52B in a Freeland stock. I don't know the model of the scope: Just a 3/4" tube that protrudes an inch past the muzzle. Parallax is at the front, topping out at 200 yards. I used the exact same scope many decades back for 100M metallic silhouette comps, mounted on a 52B. I called Unertl back then and got a reduction eye piece that brought the magnification from 14X to 6X for off hand shooting.~Andrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bungee costing me a small fortune in ammo so far. All the 'Target' ammo didn't shoot at all great IMO grouping 25mm/35mm with flyers. I've still to try Eley ammo, when I can find some.

But a better day shooting my CZ 457 LRP today. Just a little wind this morning and shot the best groups so far at 50m. Using SK Standard Plus, in the yellow box. I'll say the groups are a tad smaller than I've writen down, small red circle is 1/2". First group, top right, is with a cold clean barrel. Then shot right to left , then down.

A beauty or what. Elements Helix 6-24x50mm SFP, with the MRad reticle

FB_IMG_1615035434890.jpg

FB_IMG_1621094550427.jpg

I was thinking of one of these 22's from reviews I'd seen until I tried eley match in my CZ452. It's shoots the best it ever has in 20 years of owning it.. I had 10 rabbits the other evening using them.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:47 PM, clivej said:

bungee costing me a small fortune in ammo so far. All the 'Target' ammo didn't shoot at all great IMO grouping 25mm/35mm with flyers. I've still to try Eley ammo, when I can find some.

But a better day shooting my CZ 457 LRP today. Just a little wind this morning and shot the best groups so far at 50m. Using SK Standard Plus, in the yellow box. I'll say the groups are a tad smaller than I've writen down, small red circle is 1/2". First group, top right, is with a cold clean barrel. Then shot right to left , then down.

A beauty or what. Elements Helix 6-24x50mm SFP, with the MRad reticle

FB_IMG_1615035434890.jpg

FB_IMG_1621094550427.jpg

Good groups with that scope choice. The centre dot is too big for best accuracy, worth trying a scope with a finer reticle. Or first just use one of the hash marks as they are finer than the dot just to see if what i have discovered makes any sense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My RPRR used to love Edge, but I’ve had horrible problems with TEAM since the switch, I’d say about 1:5 fliers and supersonics as well as probably at least 1:10 not firing at all (some only on the 3rd try) , as people have said before.

so I switched to SK Long Range Match after testing a load of ammo at 50 and 100 and I’ve gone proper “Norbert” on it with a G3 rim to “ogive” gauge. Mostlybecause I like data and I spend the time with my full bore reloading so why not with this.

This was my test rig and results from Sat at 50y, I did have 0-5mph winds but it was good as I was going to get. 

Anyone who says these aren’t accurate….. I’ve spent an hour or so getting mine right, put a JARD trigger in as the action fell off a bench and snapped the factory one (which was a dog anyway, compared to other RPRs I’ve shot), I’ve aluminium foil bedded it and torqued the action screws, nothing else. It still shoots about 10MOA left (with whatever scope / rings) but nothing some Burris Signature rings hasn’t solved. 

To be fair the SK only had a variance of about 8thou across the whole 350 I measured so I am not sure its made a huge difference, but the 0.025/6 length seems to be best and grouping them into lengths has defo improved consistency 

These are all (except the second 32) five shot groups and that one group with the 0.026” “OAL” measures about 0.275” edge to edge

I warmed up with 10 shots then I shot the control group, then a bunch of the others, then a control and a final batch of 0.025 as it seemed the best. 

I was seeing "Split groups" with SK as I can see from some other photos in this thread, and I think I've proved that the length of the round could be causing it as I did get minor POI shift in my tests as the length changed and it seemed to be on elevation. The take away seems to be that they're all accurate if they're shot in groups of length.  

I also learned that after only a few mins of cool down (literally enough time to walk to the target and back) the first shot was 2MOA left, each of the three times. Good data to know. 

Next test is out to 100 with an ADT TUNER 

DB1A2400-6AC2-4B00-963A-81704DF31155.jpeg

3A342707-66C0-43AF-9191-79C7D70F4B3B.jpeg

Ad3

Nice efforts re testing. Think the 22rf needs a bit more attention to deliver the best out of it.

Be interesting to see your results at 100, if your initial findings follow thru 🤔

have you decided on what method to set up your tuner, just about to set up a new rifle a d tuner myself, have used the Purdey Rx  previously but think the Hopewell looks more ‘solid’?

Can I ask where you obtained the the G3 rim to ogive tool?

Good luck

Terry