N150, I’ve been told

Woodlander

Last summer, I bought 3 kg of Vhit N150, from a member on here. When I took a look at it, 2 of the tubs are open and not even full. The seller claims he thought they were full and that he bought them a while before (and never used it) from a trusted member on here, or SD, who used it for a 6.5x55, he can’t remember who this member is and that is that, as far as he’s concerned.
Im pretty sure it is what he says it is, my question is, do I put it on the bonfire, or is there any way of identifying it, I’m certain it’s a Vhit powder, but obviously can’t be 100% it’s N150.

Any thoughts?

Thanks 

When you think of the ramifications and worst cases that could occur if it's not what you think it is then your health (and others) is worth far more.

Safety first. Ditch it and buy new.

.......and always check the seal 😉

My tuppenth worth.

G

19 hours ago, SMLE said:

A golden rule I have for my reloading practice is: If In Doubt - Chuck It Out.........

Very well said sir. My practice as well

The cheek of the seller / thats it as far as he's concerned _ Should be Fu{{{{ng ashamed of them selves. 

I feel your pain . Been there, one was a faulty shotgun with a hushpower full mod that was out of alignment n shot damaged to the muzzle end . He tried to blame me for the damage - but after i pointed out id never put it on my ticket ( because i checked that gun at the RFD to see that down the barrel ) he didn't really have an answer. Eventually he paid me back for the gun but only after i phoned him directly,  So i sent it back to his RFD i lost 45 quid n long drive being inconvenienced . Then he got in contact saying its been fixed and is now tikety-boo - ? I replied No i want nothing to do with you or that gun . One thing i thought was weird his address turned out to be his work address - wonder why . 

Should name & shame them really

The second was a scope from another member from Here - i paid good money for it only to have  it not zero, contact them and low and behold - it was fine when they had it - was a great little scope! - i had a rule Never to buy second hand scopes - the only time i did it was a duff - thanks 475 down the drain. 

The trouble is some of the kit we buy it doesn't get used straight away , as could be a future build etc. Advise that if you feasibly can try it / test it DO ! But i guess certain people just stoop to low levels for there own gain - scumbags - Rant over / for now lol

I’ve had a few disappointing transactions recently, “once fired brass”, that was only fit for the bin and a pm11 that had a split eyepiece and dented elevation turret, it had obviously been dropped, I had to send it back to Schmidt and get it fixed at my own expense, so it was fit to sell on, as he had assured me on 4 occasions that it was CCW elevation and it was CW, all my other scopes are CCW.  After complaining, he blocked my messages. You have more recourse on eBay.  
I will contact the seller of the powder again and see what he is prepared to do.  
We should be helping each other out, not doing each other over. 

15 minutes ago, Woodlander said:

I’ve had a few disappointing transactions recently, “once fired brass”,

Been there...300 once fired 17h brass - loads had ejector swipes on them and the primer pockets of at least half were done, binned the lot. Just for a few quid??

Some people have no scruples >.>

I've had a duff scope (blurred), a mis-sold scope (was told it had mil/mil ret/turrets; it had mil/MOA), bullets that had been pulled (collet dent and scoring), brass that was utterly shagged (pistol cases: splits in necks but many had splits in web!) and a "low-shot-count" full custom rifle that had a pitted-crown. 

In all cases the seller sorted it out (well, one is in the process of sorting it...) without issue.

9 hours ago, banus02 said:

good evening ,return to seller as not fit for purpose and get a refund, why should you lose that amount of money for their mistake/theft<if they knew it was iffy. good luck my friend

Thanks Ian.  I’ve said I’m happy to pay shop price for the sealed tub and have requested a refund for the tub and a half which were opened.  We’ll see

2 hours ago, Woodlander said:

Thanks Ian.  I’ve said I’m happy to pay shop price for the sealed tub and have requested a refund for the tub and a half which were opened.  We’ll see

good morning ,i wish you good luck and hope the seller is a decent human being not a scum bag ,stay safe .all the best .ian

7 minutes ago, Scooby-93 said:

I would open the seal on the new tub and compare the size of the Kernals, if it looks the same I would load some up at minimum and take it from there 

Be very careful, as many of the grain (kernel) sizes are quite similar. See image. Also, these are just average sizes, so lengths and diameters will varying a bit within the tub.

image.thumb.png.dc0319d7cebe6c4bd439985c65dfbccb.png

Sorry to hear about your dilemma.

FWIW - If it was me - Safety first. Ditch it and buy new.

Perhaps the moderator or one of the wise sages on here could arbitrate between you and the other party privately?

If it was me I would offer that and if a no, name, and shame.  At least that way other people on the forum could then make informed choices on whether to deal with that person in the future.

Mike

Playing Devil's Advocate, if I sold something a year ago, then the buyer tried to get a refund a year later (regardless of the reason) I would be reluctant to engage.

There can't be an indefinite period for someone to find issue or change their mind. 

Whilst I don't doubt anything that has been said, if it was me and I hadn't done anything for a year, I'd chuck the powder and put it down to experience.

Shush, I’m still hoping for a partial refund, which is highly unlikely, as you say given the time, but mostly as the seller thinks it’s ok to sell 2nd hand powder, on the say so of a third party, neither of us know and he’s forgotten his name.   
The original intention of this post was to find out whether there is a way to ascertain if Vhit N150 can be told apart from other powders. 
It’s only now, that I’ve replaced the rifle, that I’m faced with this dilemma, as up until now, I had thought I would just start out low and watch carefully for pressure signs and flinch as I squeezed the trigger. Now I’m faced with this prospect, I’m not so keen on the idea and now faced with binning
over 1.5 kg of powder.  

11 hours ago, Woodlander said:

Shush, I’m still hoping for a partial refund, which is highly unlikely, as you say given the time, but mostly as the seller thinks it’s ok to sell 2nd hand powder, on the say so of a third party, neither of us know and he’s forgotten his name.   
The original intention of this post was to find out whether there is a way to ascertain if Vhit N150 can be told apart from other powders. 
It’s only now, that I’ve replaced the rifle, that I’m faced with this dilemma, as up until now, I had thought I would just start out low and watch carefully for pressure signs and flinch as I squeezed the trigger. Now I’m faced with this prospect, I’m not so keen on the idea and now faced with binning
over 1.5 kg of powder.  

As a regular N150 user I’m trying to PM you but your inbox is full.

On 8/3/2020 at 10:02 PM, Woodlander said:

I’ve had a few disappointing transactions recently, “once fired brass”, that was only fit for the bin and a pm11 that had a split eyepiece and dented elevation turret, it had obviously been dropped, I had to send it back to Schmidt and get it fixed at my own expense, so it was fit to sell on, as he had assured me on 4 occasions that it was CCW elevation and it was CW, all my other scopes are CCW.  After complaining, he blocked my messages. You have more recourse on eBay.  
I will contact the seller of the powder again and see what he is prepared to do.  
We should be helping each other out, not doing each other over. 

What brass are you talking about Paul eh?

Thank you all for your advice. 
Being as one of the tubs was unopened, I was able to compare, kernel size and colour, with the other 2 opened tubs and just to confirm, I had a good chat with the original seller (long story) which set my mind at rest.  
Thanks again for all the advice