Spring 2014 Roundhouse Rifle Challenge

Tiff

Tiff and Paul, outstanding job well done. Deteriorating weather conditions did not help but a very well thought out and safely run day.

Learnt some weaknesses and where I need to improve. A big thank you and Tiff please pass on my thanks to your parents for their lookout duties.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from Sundays session.

Much better weather, bit showery but less wind.

We shot out to 1220 yards, great fun.

Thanks to Paul and Rup for getting me on the 12" target area, very challenging.

Big thanks again to Tiff and his Parents.

Roll on the next one.

Mark

Big thanks again to Tiff ,Paul and Tiff Parents

All looked very challenging to me , my be next time I will have a go nice to put a face to a name

see you all soon I hope

cheers

Nev

****If anyone found a bunch of keys, please PM me****

As already said- an excellent day and many thanks to Tiff, Paul and Tiff's parents. Incredible value for money, professional and good-humoured.

I had a great time, even though I shot poorly, particularly at ranges over 300m (and not just calling the wind). I was using my .308, with the same load as I use to 900yds yet I was all over the shop at anything past 300. The group on my 310yd Huns head paper was high so my drop chart may have been a bit out but we couldn't see the splashes of my misses at the longer ranges.

I suspect I'll have a -10 for the IPSC stages! Thanks to Paul for agreeing to photo my targets as I had to leave early (to avoid the shame !)

Many thanks to all who attended for the chat, the "cider", the venison and the piss-taking. See you at the next one!

****If anyone found a bunch of keys, please PM me****

1165 miles later I'm back home trying to get my gear dry.

Thanks very much to Ian F for an excellent day on Thursday. Thanks to Tiff and Paul for a perfect welcome to Cornwall on Friday afternoon. Thanks to Tiff, Paul and Tiff's parents for all their hard work on making Saturday such a success.

I've now put some faces to lots of names and look forward to bumping into you again at Bisley, Diggle or wherever in the months and years to come.

Finally, thanks to everyone who made me so welcome on my visit.

Best regards

JCS

I'll echo everyone's comments and say a huge thankyou to Tiffs heroic and long suffering parents for doing the lookout duty, out there all day at opposite ends of the moor, all on their own in the insane Bodmin weather.

Tiff and Paul did a pretty good job too :-)

I have just got home after 3 fabulous, if soggy, days shooting, I can't thank you guys enough!

Scoring seemed almost irrelevant given the dreadful conditions, with everyone really focusing on learning how to deal with handling their gear in such adverse conditions. Challenge was very much an understatement!

As these lads put on more shoots, the CoF evolves, with this one being the culmination of all they have learned from all the previous challenges. The thought and hard work that has been put in really shone through on this one.

Despite the weather, it ran smoothly with very intuitive stages thanks to clear shooter and lane numbering, and a good simple scoring system.

Tiffs shoots are about as much fun as you can have with a rifle...... and they keep on getting better! Can't recommend them enough.

I seem to have aquired the last of Tismes "witches brew" which I found to be dangerously moreish on Friday night, just had a swig out of the old milk carton he brought it in ..... by heck I had already forgotten how it makes the hair grow on the back of your eyeballs......

Tiff, can't wait for the next one :-)

Rup

Shame I missed it. How did you guys cope keeping your weapons dry and serviceable in those conditions??? Anyone got any tips?

I'm fairly sure mine will work under water given how it held up :)

Glad my load was light though as the wet was starting to tighten the bolt lift towards the end!

Many thanks to Tiff, Paul and Tiffs parents. I finally got home after my wiper linkage falling apart on the A30 in heavy rain. Fixed at the roadside with assistance from Az1 Aaron, and Rup. Then after dropping Aaron off in Bath, getting a tug by Mr plod, getting my tank dipped and as they were cracking down on poaching etc, having to explain the reason behind three rifles, night vision, lots of ammo cans etc and having all the serial numbers checked against the fac, so all in, I crossed my doormat at 0045hrs, to then be up at 0500 for work, so the rifles are now drying here :)

Awesome COF Tiff. 'Exmoor' weather added to the challenge. Must remember to bring more primers for reloading in the bunkhouse next time (I let 6.5 Grendel Andy have 100, leaving myself short)

Sad to see the damage to 'virgin' steels from the scenars though, but chuffed to hit the 275 gongs with open sights with the 444 though :)

A great fun weekend, spoilt only by having to leave such a great place for the routine of getting back to work on Salisbury Plain, oh, and the copper getting his knickers in a twist about the 'sniper rifle' that 'is wrong for a civvy to own such a thing'

Looking forward to the next shoot with eagerness a plenty

:) :)

Pete

Great weekend, great COF. It was obvious how much effort had been put into organising it.

Shame the weather tried to spoil it but I don’t think it succeeded. Saying that, some of my kit is still damp despite having the de-hum on since I got back.

Huge thanks to Tiff’s parents. It can’t have been pleasant out there. At least we all had the shooting to take our minds off it. I think Tiff needs to get them a bivi or something for the next one!

Thanks to Tiff and Paul too as above great weekend, great COF. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Can’t wait for the next one.

Rich

Shame I missed it. How did you guys cope keeping your weapons dry and serviceable in those conditions??? Anyone got any tips?

Look after your optics, if you can see it you can shoot it!

Oh and don't let someone put sheep poop in your magazine (you know who you are!)

Look after your optics, if you can see it you can shoot it!

Oh and don't let someone put sheep poop in your magazine (you know who you are!)

Some people did start to get pressure signs towards the end of the day (me included) but everyone kept a close eye on them and when they were excessive, sensibly decided to call it quits.

Biggest problem was visibity, despite having a relitively large sunshade the rain was so heavy it was bouncing off it at still reaching the optics. Coats, bags, anything you find to cover the rifles was the solution.

Keeping stuff dry definately wasn't an option! I think most people just about managed servicable.

Pete had a particularly novel solution. I'll put a pic up later. :blink:

My .223 starting blowing the primers out of the cases in the afternoon! after the 2nd I stopped. It was extremely hard keeping the action/ammo dry! Im looking at making a plastic tent type thing to cover the scope and action! or a plastic bag works. I just didn't have one!

Good day and big thanks to Chris and Paul + Chris's parents excellent job yet again!

My .223 starting blowing the primers out of the cases in the afternoon! after the 2nd I stopped. It was extremely hard keeping the action/ammo dry! Im looking at making a plastic tent type thing to cover the scope and action! or a plastic bag works. I just didn't have one!

Good day and big thanks to Chris and Paul + Chris's parents excellent job yet again!

What load do you use and what chamber?

so my hind stalking in howling rain and wind and snow would have been an advantage at the RRC this time?

whens the next one?

not really!..unless your shooting hinds out to 650..dialing in triple value windage ..and im sure you don't ;) .

I also stopped when the rifle sounded different and looking at the brass (extractor marks appearing on cases, one primer holed). The sixty five rounds before that were fine and after a good clean I shot a few here yesterday that were fine.

Still had a great time though.

I'm fairly sure mine will work under water given how it held up :)

Glad my load was light though as the wet was starting to tighten the bolt lift towards the end!

Had the same problem with my bolt..as hard as I tried could not keep the water out of the action!...quite a few damaged necks.

Still...Using hot factory loaded 75gn v-max I should have known I was going to have a problem!

Archived