Spring 2014 Roundhouse Rifle Challenge

Tiff

My load in my 47 was hot when i started, brass took a battering, primers were fine but ejector kept jamming with all the brass that was ramming down it.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not really!..unless your shooting hinds out to 650..dialing in triple value windage ..and im sure you don't ;) .

650 maybe but i'd give up a triple windage situation!

A few in our group stopped firing early due to pressure caused by wet chambers. I was running a fairly mild load in my .243 and still had head stamps on my brass. I gather several of the other group had primer and extraction issues, A good reason not to run too hot!

Waterproofs are not necessarily waterproof. My peg for the multi distance stage left me facing downhill, prone, in what turned out to be a mini flash flood. My jacket filled up from the waist where it was on the ground so when I stood up it all ran down into my wellies via my kacks!

Southern softies?!?

Long sunshades will keep most normal rain off your optics but Bodmin rain is different!

A chamois will keep you in the game especially if you wear glasses.

Wet sheep shite gets thrown about 20 feet by Petes new muzzle brake in case you were wondering where it was coming from.

Driving sheets of rain are great for seeing how wind gusts and travels over the landscape. Though not so good when blowing strait in your face.

The new scenar with the larger meplat is very destructive to steel gongs. No doubt Tiff will post pics at some point.

I don't think anyone had rain related reliability problems but I'll bet there are some bolts and magazines coming apart that have not been stripped for a while!

What load do you use and what chamber?

Im running 28.5gr of Varget with 75gr Amax in the .223!

Just kidding

24.5gr Varget so not particularly high in a standard chambered bolt action.

Thank you everyone for such positive comments; my parents, Paul & I really appreciate them after a knackering few days.

The 100 yard zeroing session on Friday was well attended and the weather was gloriously sunny most of the day; offering no indication of what was to follow...The zeroing session provided a good opportunity to fine tune kit and practice the positional shooting required the following day. It was briefly paused at one point to allow a cattle drive across the moors; a scene not too dissimilar from a Western with riders and dogs working together bringing the escaped cattle home from many miles away.

Due to the weather, the 'Challenge' on Saturday was somewhat harder than originally intended! Despite the near horizontal rain and almost unreadable winds everyone experienced, people persevered and spirits maintained high throughout. Kit was tested to the limits (sometimes beyond) and as the day progressed it became clearly evident who was truly prepared for shooting in bad weather. Also the level of ingenuity displayed in adapting to the situation was truly remarkable at times. Personally I really enjoyed being able to implement everything I have learnt from previous RRC events, add some new ideas like the numbered breech flags and deliver a truly memorable event.

Conditions were slightly better for Sunday's practice shoot and by dodging the showers, people were shooting with good repeatable success at 960 yards and then 1,220 yards. Before the day was over, Mick who I believe hadn't shot much past 300 yards, was successfully engaging a rabbit sized target well beyond 800 yards. Also of notable mention is Swamp Donkeys two or three consecutive hits on an 8" round gong from sitting at 275 yards with basic open sights on his .444 Marlin.

I only returned late last night after packing up, so pictures and 'scores' will follow later today.

Many thanks again to everyone who attended and have been so supportive with this project,

Tiff

Looking forward to the pictures!...But not the scores :ph34r: .....Still its the taking part that counts :D well that's what I keep telling myself! ...PLS someone agree with me :P

Here are the final results for top 5 pairs (well 6, since there is joint second) and individual placings for the whole field. The HPS was 106 with the lowest possible 'score' being -10, thanks to a couple of negative scoring stages.

MJR and Gandy shot outstandingly well considering the conditions; both were evidently well prepared and not phased by the weather. Also due to an odd number of entrants, Jcampbellsmith shot his stages without a spotter calling fall of shot, so his position in the field is very respectable. As a result of weather related technical failures (mainly the water increasing pressure beyond safe levels) a few people were unable to complete the full COF, but many still position well despite this.

ScreenShot2014-04-29at152801_zps0be35be1

ScreenShot2014-04-29at155350_zps2de4305c

N.B. Of course this wasn't a competition (just a more formalised zeroing day) so there are no prizes, just the respect of your peers. Plus it should be noted with the highest placed shooter (MJR) achieving just over a 58% hit rate on the fox/deer sized kill zones, there is plenty of room for improvement for everyone. Therefore, obviously in the interests of humane shooting, I will need to run another event in late September...

Despite the fact that my misses has been taking the piss out of me for the last 15mins :D ....I had a great time and am looking forward to September!

Well done guys was some great shooting!.

Thanks Tiff and Paul for an epic day, and the same to Tiff's parents!

If I carried on to thank everybody who deserves it this would read like an Oscar acceptance speech and you wouldn't be able to read the last sentence because of the tears, but suffice to say you all taught me something and the main thing is that I now need to save up for a full time spotter!

I also learnt that sheep are either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid, it really is possible to hit something a reasonable distance away using open sights, just not when I'm the one holding the rifle, and I can save fuel now by stopping two fields away from the rabbits. (I put that to the test yesterday evening with a 7 out of 7 success rate, except it was one and a half fields and I only used a 223, but it's the thought that counts....)

I've also learn't never to accept a lift from Swamp Donkey :D

Can't wait for the next one, by which time I'll have a scope with enough elevation that I don't need to be at 10x and don't have to aim so high that I can't actually see the target anymore! However, I'm never parting with my trusty Howa (the Ford Cortina of the rifle world).

Proper job,

Mick

That's not fair everyone should only be marked on the rounds that I shot before my malfunctions! stamp feet....... lol

Well done guys, A good day was had.

Here are a fair few pictures as promised:

Friday zeroing and positional practice - it was sunny at the Spring RRC, be it only for a day!

IMG_0217_zps2aa8b966.jpg

IMG_0228_zps1a086a51.jpg

Saturday - Challenging would be an understatement...

IMG_0311_zps0526be1a.jpg

IMG_0314_zpsc50599b0.jpg

Everyone had their own approach to the barricades, I'm still not sure which worked best.

IMG_0258_zpsee6b5f20.jpg

IMG_0259_zpsf5c52f95.jpg

IMG_0268_zps848488c9.jpg

IMG_0239_zps1597adf9.jpg

IMG_0264_zpsc494678e.jpg

IMG_0248_zps7fa52405.jpg

IMG_0260_zps5f506e30.jpg

Was it something I said...running barricade stage.

IMG_0254_zpsaf8bddcf.jpg

Slings @ 350 yards on steel Fig. 14's.

IMG_0276_zps28197ed2.jpg

IMG_0279_zps471b2f5b.jpg

Sitting @ circa. 270 yards.

IMG_0299_zps7456614b.jpg

IMG_0298_zps3674b047.jpg

Selecting which lamb for dinner....

IMG_0290_zps1a96bc09.jpg

Some of the zeroing targets on offer:

8" square @ 640 yards

oGQv9qbYPigkVBlZTvvDFRNoetZTXwmGD5dmiLJi

Huns in the long grass @ circa 330 yards.

FOEGewrhmp1feU0G3hexO8pPUuHZgFyQN0R0lZzE

Hits on the 3.5x7" & 8" circular Shoot N C counted as 1 pt (roughly the same size as small/large deer kill zones), hits on the white IPSC backer counted as 0 pt and complete misses -1 pt .....rather challenging given the conditions @ circa 370 & 500 yards.

8pkcFmQndWpr1CmxLLzPfv6Ah-RjDWvHUNrxGaez

Adapting to survive - Swamp Donkey's patented rain cover made from cherry bakewell cardboard packaging (exact brand a trade secret) and 'duck tape'. I quote "Ducks are waterproof, so this tape will work...." and to his credit it did work well.

W9qAOhxKFsF7hjOfa79XeL0_fDBs8lECT1lZWfqt

MWdBRsrwll0YbPTDVwCHHofvitJycZ_4B237Woyp

160/200 yard AR 500 3/8" 8" steel gongs at the end of the day - Lapua Scenars cause too much damage on steels and also a MV limit of circa 3,000 fps will need to be introduced at future events to help the steel survive and keep it safe.

IMG_0370_zpscd3dd447.jpg

IMG_0371_zps1473866c.jpg

The steels all collected back in by Monday night ready for repairing and re-spraying.

IMG_0379_zps63cce53b.jpg

IMG_0380_zpse22ea9fc.jpg

Sunday shooting 100 - 650 yards.

IMG_0341_zpsaf2388f8.jpg

IMG_0346_zps2cec30db.jpg

Sunday shooting around 800-960 yards from under cover - note the blast curtains being used around Swamp Donkey's TRG muzzle brake and the rest.

IMG_0359_zps17f0273d.jpg

And finally just to prove it was sunny on Saturday afternoon - be it for only 30 seconds....

IMG_0316_zps664bf1ff.jpg

N.B. Not to be published elsewhere without permission.

What a great weekend well done to all involved in set up and running I have pushed my limits to 1220 with the 260 . it was nice to meet every one and hope to catch up at the next events

Aaron

Great pics Tiff, doesn't look very wet. Reckon we must have imagined it ;-)

Interesting to see the damage to the gongs. It ties in with the sudden extra damage to the Quarry gongs, I have to admit that I thought it was someone using fmj but it would seem that the new design scenars really are very destructive on steel. It's going to be hard to stop shooters from using them as they are particularly good value.

I'll be looking at switching to A or Vmax for shooting steel, suggest others do the same.

Waterproofs are not necessarily waterproof. My peg for the multi distance stage left me facing downhill, prone, in what turned out to be a mini flash flood. My jacket filled up from the waist where it was on the ground so when I stood up it all ran down into my wellies via my kacks!

Southern softies?!?

Just found this picture of a puddle forming, all from water running out from inside Rup's jacket! It was almost biblical weather at times.

IMG_0321_zpsd8e37ade.jpg

I'm curious how you know it was the Scenars that caused the damage

At times I was asking people what bullet they were using and also I have carried out my own tests. Even at 650 yards the 155gr scenars with a 2650 fps MV slightly mark the Hardox 400, whereas the 155 A-MAX hardly even takes the paint off at 275 yards. Speed also kills steel, so a circa. 3000 fps MV limit will need to be introduced to reduced the damage.

After tiff mentioned to me about the damage on Sunday, I have since tested, 110gr vmax at 3200 fps, 155 scenars at 2850, GGG NATO (147?) at 2750 and nosler 150gr bt at the same steel that is used by tiff, five shot groups at 150 yds, the scenars broke through. The others barely marked the plate. It seems that the lead in the scenars is very hard in comparison with others, this would be why they pass clean through 'other targets' where everything else, including the GGG fmj makes a mess.

Admittedly, the plate I tested didn't have the 'swing' of a gong, but that was deliberate to highlight the damage in less shots. The scenars are pretty impressive for steel damage factor.

Stupidly, I never got a pic, and the plate is still on the farm, but I'll try and recover it in the next week or so for some pics.

I would just like to say that it was a pleasure to help Tiff put on this shoot for all of you. You have all been very supportive and after reading your encouraging posts I would very much like to help Tiff set up and run the next RRC.

It was great to see a group of people with a common interest all getting on so well, enjoying themselves, stretching their shooting ability whilst maintaining excellent levels of firearm safety despite the epic rain and wind. Well done all of you.

I am thinking up ideas for the next one already....

Great pics Tiff.

When we were testing for the quarry we found that it was velocity that killed the targets. A .223 doing around 3300fps did far more damage than even my .30-06 AI which is a 178gr bullet doing 2900fps. At the last quarry a .223 using FMJs absolutely destroyed the gongs. Most of them looked very similar to the worst one in Tiffs pictures.

Would be interesting to do a direct comparison between the scenars and others.

Archived