Spring 2014 Roundhouse Rifle Challenge

Tiff

This weekend will draw on elements from previous RRC days, CZ and various US shoots. It is designed to be shot as a pair (either entered as a pair or composed), with individual elements identical. Top pairs and top individual spots on offer - no prizes though, since it's not a competition..just a challenge.

The firing schedule for the shoot is:

Arrive Friday 25th April - 100 yard zeroing open 14.00-18.00
Saturday 26th April - Challenge Day 08.00-18.00
Sunday 27th April - 100-600m Zeroing/Practice 09.00-15.00

Fri & Sat shoot inc. Fri night bunkhouse or camping - £80
+ Sun Shoot inc. Fri & Sat night bunkhouse or camping - £125
Or
Sunday practice shoot inc. Sat night bunkhouse or camping - £50

Saturdays targets will be between 25-700m, with approximately 50/50 between paper & steel (100 rds / 1 rifle each). Each stage will not be too physically demanding (no abseiling or cargo nets), but may require some short distance movement to elevate heart rates, induce stress & positional shooting is a certainty.

Sunday will be a pure zeroing / practice day. One or possibly two firing points (suitable for 6 to 8 people each) will be used all day, with plenty of reactive steel & other targets between 100-600m. A great opportunity to test loads over longer distance, gather vital drop data etc. and simply have some fun!

Please understand the entry donations are fixed to cover the cost of hiring the location, setting-up etc. and no reduction is available if you choose not to stay in the bunkhouse or camp. If arriving Saturday morning, please note the briefing will start at 08.00 sharp.miss it and you cannot shoot! There will be NO zero check on Saturday (just like if you booked a dawn stalking trip) and your first shot may be up to 700m away - know your drops before you arrive!

For those of you who have not shot a Roundhouse day before, please note, it is NOT a rifle range. The rifle you use on the day MUST be your own and be conditioned for field shooting - i.e fox, deer or AOLQ & for zeroing over ground you have permission on etc. No sharing of rifles. Equally, it is NOT a competition, just a challenging set of realistic scenarios designed to test your ability to safely & humanely shoot in field conditions. You MUST also have your own valid shooting insurance and not be subject to a 'mentoring condition', unless accompanied by your mentor. This will all be checked on the day. Permission to zero will be granted on a daily basis, just like paid stalking etc. and the ground is cleared for fullbore by D&C Constabulary. The emphasis is on the shooter to be a safe shot and follow safe shooting practice, being responsible for every shot and every moment handling a firearm.

FMJ & lathe turned solid bullets are not permitted. HPBT match are ok to use, though expanding/A-Max style are preferred - people are meant to be zeroing field rifles after all.

To secure a place, a £50 non-refundable donation will be required by at least 18 people before the end of January. The remainder to be paid in full no later than 14 days before the event. The maximum entry is 16 pairs / 32 people, on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be aware if 9 pairs have not entered/donated for Saturday by the end of January, all donations will be refunded and the event cancelled.

Many thanks,

Tiff

N.B. The landowners involved have expressly asked for their farms not to be named or pictured on the internet (or anywhere else) in reference to these shoots, so once you know the location please only refer to it as the Roundhouse Rifle Challenge, The Roundhouse or RRC etc.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure me and Aaron can make it. Can you confirm the fees if blokes are traveling down on the day and don't require the accommodation?

It is all the same. £80 Fri/Sat, £125 Fri/Sat/Sun or £50 Sunday.

I made a mistake that cost me very dearly with entry donations this year - I didn't consider 75%+ of people arriving on the day! I hire the whole location out for a set figure per day (It's not like the landowners can have other groups inside/on the location at the same time….), so previously if not enough people stayed/paid for accommodation, it came from my pocket! Hence the simple fixed price, so I know it's covered.

This will be a definate for me this time, I now have the 47 back from a rebarrel and by April my shoulder should be sorted :D

Tiff, not sure yet what days I will be there yet so will confirm later in the new year if thats ok?

Tiff,

Sorry to be thick. Read all you've written about accom...but I'm confused by the Sunday-no accom charge option which seems to contradict what I thought I was understanding! :)

Unlike the Sun, are you saying Sat has compulsory Friday night accom?

Tiff,

Sorry to be thick. Read all you've written about accom...but I'm confused by the Sunday-no accom charge option which seems to contradict what I thought I was understanding! :)

Unlike the Sun, are you saying Sat has compulsory Friday night accom?

Edited to hopefully be a bit clearer :) The accommodation isn't 'compulsory' as such, just that it is paid for (previously mostly by me!) and a space is available. Given the early start Sat, for those travelling any distance it would probably be a good option.

I'm hoping to be there Tiff - just checking a possible conflict with TR Annual Fullbore match at Millpool, though (which has had to be brought forward due to inordinate numbers of cancellations Landmark have made)..

I'm hoping to be there Tiff - just checking a possible conflict with TR Annual Fullbore match at Millpool, though (which has had to be brought forward due to inordinate numbers of cancellations Landmark have made)..

Oh right, I'd guessed with my shoot being in late April, I was safe from clashing with the club summer shoot - I wanted to shoot it again. I'll drop you a pm re-COF later today.

Yes to the Saturday please.

....still not clear whether that means I have to book accom on the Fri :unsure::lol:

(A 1500 to 1800 timing on a Fri for anyone non-local is an absolute chocolate fireguard!).

Hoping there'll be a chance for an unscored check zero first thing on Sat if all the Friday night non-competing non-competitors are getting a couple of hours to sort themselves for not competing on Sat...

Think I can say yes to the Saturday please.....still not clear whether that means I have to book accom on the Fri :unsure:

(a 1500 to 1800 timing on a Fri for anyone non-local is an absolute chocolate fireguard!).

Hoping there'll be a chance for an unscored check zero first thing on Sat if all the Friday night non-competing non-competitors are getting a couple of hours to sort themselves for not competing on Sat...

Haha, there's always one……I'll try again:

Accommodation is included in the entry price - if you choose to stay or not is entirley your choice - Someone has to pay for it and previously it's been me!

There will be no zero check first thing on Saturday - just like if you booked a morning stalking trip - I'd expect a client to arrive with a zeroed rifle. I'll amend the first post to make this clear.

The Friday zeroing option is just there for people that like to leave things till almost the last minute or often have no other way of doing it being abroad etc before. By my count there are 125 days left to zero your rifle before the challenge day…...

Archived