loose mod

Does anyone have tips on how to stop your moderator loosening whilst shooting.

I remember once with the T8 being disgusted with my shooting at the target. As I went to take the mod off the rifle and put my kit back in the car, it required no effort at all to undo the mod.

Three suggestions:

Put a paint mark on the rear of the moderator where you can see it when you are getting ready to shoot.

I got rid of my T8 shortly after my poor shooting and went to an AU-S5 which just screws on the end of the barrel.

Get a riflesmith to check out the threads of both the barrel and the moderator.

Regards

JCS

Rup

I have the same problem with muzzle mounted JetZ s.....I have simply tried to remember to tighten it periodically......it really screws up POI if loose!

Its a North Star with 18x1 thread on my TRG.

Had hoped that a bit of carbon build up would help it lock. The trouble is if i crank it up really tight it becomes a b**** to remove.

Thought about an O ring but couldn't find one the right size. Also worry about alignment as mod needs to butt up to to the shoulder.

John. Only scored 1 hit out of 10 on that last section when expecting at least 7 or 8, esp as we had just practiced it. With head full of dialling multiple ranges, wind and time and keeping rain out of the action, I completely forgot to check the mod!

Anyone tried a spot of threadlock? The heat should stop it locking hard?

I find that if I 'swing' the mod up tight when putting it on, it stays tight for any shooting I do.

Other than rimfire suppressors , every suppressor I have used has wanted to un-screw its self , and that includes the AI left hand thread B&T suppressors , I am surprised that more shooters have not demanded a locking mech before now , and you see cans in the USA with locking mechs , also AU & B&T in Europe also uses locking mechs on some of their latest cans .

Thats why , I have a few 30 & 338 cal , AU SL7 , borelock suppressors on order right now .

Later Chris

I have had this problem with all my mods if not tightened up by a gorrila!

I have now got into a habit of checking it when getting to the firing point everytime.

I believe "Bushdog" tried the O ring route, that did not work out, mod did not come loose but poi kept changing on every shot!

The one common denominator here is thread fit.

A gunsmith has two options when threading a barrel. He can either thread the barrel to fit the moderator , or he can thread the barrel to an industry standard thread ring gauge which are certified and give exactly the correct thread depth. This means any moderator will fit that thread.

This is how I cut mine.

Moderator threads vary from type to type on how loose the internal thread is. I,ve never come across any brand that is tight on a gauged thread.

Aluminium mods work loose quickest because they heat up and expand at a much faster rate than a steel mod.

The problem is an old one.

I have a niggling issue with a centrefire A tec mod, in that the individual baffle rings have a habit of wanting to unscrew in use. Spoke with the very helpful Jackson Rifles, they said clean threads, do up tight and with use the sections will stop coming loose.

Have done this but still they come loose at times - other than a bit of locktight (don't suppose I ever really want the ability of disassembly) any suggestions?

PTFE tape??

I have a niggling issue with a centrefire A tec mod, in that the individual baffle rings have a habit of wanting to unscrew in use. Spoke with the very helpful Jackson Rifles, they said clean threads, do up tight and with use the sections will stop coming loose.

Have done this but still they come loose at times - other than a bit of locktight (don't suppose I ever really want the ability of disassembly) any suggestions?

PTFE tape??

I have the exact opposite problem that you have, and Jacksons are right in time they will stop coming loose, forever! I honestly think these modular sound moderators are a waste of time, who ever wants to make their moderator less effective? How much extra weight is created by making it modular? Anyhow I digress.

Try PTFE tape, I used it for a moderator that would unscrew itself after a few shots, PTFE stopped the problem, although you had to re-apply the tape after removing the moderator several times..

No problem with it coming loose but affecting the poi has played on my mind a few times, I have a mark on the mod to show 12oclock and tighten to the same level each time. I do the same with a bolt holding the action and barrel of a custom rim fire, again to ensure that when I've stripped the rifle, it is tightened into the stock at the same pressure. I did have a problem recently with the rim fire, one of the baffles had slipped causing instability of the bullet and tumbling right at the end of the mod, unfortunately it wasn't noticed until I'd decided the ammo was pants and fired most of it at the backstop, to take the moderator off and make a bit more noise but realised the fast shooting without a mod was more accurate than with, oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't notice this thread before. As Walkabout mentions, I tried the o-ring thing after some embarrassment at the first RRC. NOT a good idea!!

I got no consistency at all - poi all over the place. Hideous groups at 100.

Luckily did no damage to the mod. or the threads, but have since discovered that being a bit more butch when I do it up was all I needed!

(I think my problem was being afraid of "hurting" my nice new rifle!!!)

I now do it up tight and remember to check it every now and again, and all seems good - it hasn't come loose since.

I keep looking at the sonics moderators for this reason. They have a twisted first baffle so the mod will self tighten after each shot. Much the same as some military muzzle breaks do.

I keep meaning to ask if anyone has one? Do they like it and does it work?

Never had a loose moderator so wouldn't know the reason for it to come loose. Most of the mods on my rifles have fine metric threads. One mod actually has a way too large M16x1 thread cut in the alu rear end which has a wobble fit when screwing on. That rifle is super accurate and the mod never came loose. Another rifle has a very tight fitting M15x1, also no problems. Alu or steel mods seem to work for me. All of my mods tighten up solid when hitting the shoulder a sign of good shoulder- mod fit. I'd be worried if a mod tightens up gradually when it comes into contact with the shoulder.

edi

• 1 year later...

Hi all, didn't see this thread before. Didn't witness it myself but apparently some club members saw a moderator go about 70 M up the range. It had loosened off and the last shot sent it. Apparently no damage to the threads?? Was a Sako TRG 22. No idea of the Mod. Seems like good reason to check it's tight. J.

Archived