22 LR Average Group from your gun

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, No i deer said:

I've not tried center x or R 50 yet

The SK flat nose match works well in my rifle, unfortunately I think they’ve stopped making it 🤷🏼‍♂️

8 hours ago, terryh said:

The SK flat nose match works well in my rifle, unfortunately I think they’ve stopped making it 🤷🏼‍♂️

Have you tried eley match or tenex..

They both shoot great for me.. so I here tenex is batched eley match ammo..

Rim thickness etc

2 hours ago, No i deer said:

Have you tried Eley match or Tenex..

They both shoot great for me.. so I here Tenex is batched Eley match ammo..

Rim thickness etc

Not tried Eley products as yet.

The Chamber on my rifle has been cut to the Nevius design, Nevius being a member of Lapua's US team ( https://www.lapua.com/teamshooters/kevin-nevius/ ) who developed a chamber design to suit Lapua ammunition then made the design public plus advice on chambering, he did say that the chamber would work with Eley if the lead was changed to 2 degrees.

So Lapua and SK have been my focus and I'm getting good results out to 500 yards.

Caveat: A supplier batch tested in my rifle R100 ammunition gave good results so I'm planning on using this for LR i.e. past 200 yards.

Re. manufacturers and ammunition grades. From my understanding and talking with suppliers, all 22rf manufacturers grade their ammo by batch. The RWS guys explained that a machine is set up and run slowly with sample taken out and checked during production, this is R50, when the consistency starts to drift the machine is sped up and the next grade down is produced.

So lower consistency 'Tenex' becomes Match etc.

Nevius chamber FYI

nevius.jpg.b24d46389f6779f71e5f7a88376416a5.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A while since I posted here, here’s a couple of 100y groups from the RPRR this year, both ten shot. 
can’t claim that they’re average but I’ve generally got it around the MOA mark now. 
just wish I could find some SK rifle match instead of the long range match as it seems to be a lot more consistent. 

I thing I’ve wrung every last bit of accuracy out of this rig now, it’ll smash clays at 287y nicely but it takes a few shots usually 

10 shots no tuner, mixed straight out of the box ammo 100y

IMG_2076.jpg

10 shots WITH tuner and sorted by length ammo , I think the split here must have been me moving parallax as I was single loading 

IMG_2039.jpg

attached a “more average” 100y target as well 

IMG_2594.JPG

Here's a typical target from my setup, which is a Sako Finnfire Varmint, barrel shortened to 18",  fitted with a Hawke Vantage 30 WA SF IR 4-16 X 50 scope (.22 subsonic reticle) and using SK Standard Plus (which it loves).

At 50m off a bench, bipod & back bag (sight adjusted after first group):

Finnfire_target_191122_01.thumb.jpg.3045e0a2854366e80dc2e7dbc628a24d.jpg

Took my CZ452 out again last Sunday.. 

It was a little late really as it was getting dark but I thought I'd have a pop..

50yds on 9 mag eley match.

Not the best but it was nice too shoot it again.

I'd expect it too be half that size normally..

Shot off a pod and a cushion thing prone

20221120_163102.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thats SK Rifle Match, think I’ll try some Centre x at some point as everyone rates it in the Vudoo and still getting a lot of vertical variance 

Long Range performed similar but about half were going super sonic 

I think if I’d shot 10rnd groups, they’d have all been 1” or bigger 

My CZ452 gets quite a few crackers with eley match..

I get the odd one that doesn't fire..

Had 2 today..

One shot on the second time..

Another one i tried 3 times and it didn't fire..

Move the round around so the firing pin hits in a different spot..

Never had many not go off until I used eley match.

I used eley club and edge for years.

Haven’t touched the stuff since edge became team, utter pile of rubbish. On average I think I got about 2 in 10 failure to fire across about 5 boxes. Edge was incredibly consistent and performed very well in anything I fed with it. 

Eley is also “stubbier” than SK so never fed well in my RPRR, I also tried some left over tenex today and it just jammed up against the front of the mag in the Vudoo then went super when I hand loaded one 

13 hours ago, Adamdavi3s said:

I used eley club and edge for years.

Haven’t touched the stuff since edge became team, utter pile of rubbish. On average I think I got about 2 in 10 failure to fire across about 5 boxes. Edge was incredibly consistent and performed very well in anything I fed with it. 

Eley is also “stubbier” than SK so never fed well in my RPRR, I also tried some left over tenex today and it just jammed up against the front of the mag in the Vudoo then went super when I hand loaded one 

The likelihood is the expensive ammo like tenex and centre x will shoot the best..

The R50 etc is very good apparently..

Only want too use so subsonic ammo..

Not really sure when I get the crackers I get slight elevation changes..

Can't see the bullet holes in the black backer target too well..

I can see a hole forming after several shots..        

The misfires are annoying..

I would think the colder weather accounts for your crackers. All the "target" ammunition (except R100) is designed to be subsonic, usually around the 1,050-70 range. Eley Match and Tenex used to print the velocity of the particular Lot on the box but I don't I don't think they still do.

At 15c the sonic barrier is about 1,116fps but at 0c it's only about 1,086fps. When a string of this, supposing, high quality match ammunition is checked with the chronograph an ES 20fps is not unusual. Personally, I think this is pretty poor, you wouldn't be thrilled to see that with centrefire ammunition at 3,000fps. My regulated air rifle will put out a 10 shot string with an ES of maybe 5fps.

4 hours ago, 1066 said:

I would think the colder weather accounts for your crackers. All the "target" ammunition (except R100) is designed to be subsonic, usually around the 1,050-70 range. Eley Match and Tenex used to print the velocity of the particular Lot on the box but I don't I don't think they still do.

At 15c the sonic barrier is about 1,116fps but at 0c it's only about 1,086fps. When a string of this, supposing, high quality match ammunition is checked with the chronograph an ES 20fps is not unusual. Personally, I think this is pretty poor, you wouldn't be thrilled to see that with centrefire ammunition at 3,000fps. My regulated air rifle will put out a 10 shot string with an ES of maybe 5fps.

Interesting..

Strange the supersonic speed gets less at lower temps..

I didn't realise that..

Out again at the mo..

Had 2 again that took 2 firings too shoot and several crackers..

Breezy out today..

The groups opened up with the match IMG-20221227-WA0004.thumb.jpeg.18784bf5ed6c1620e0f50b534476925a.jpeg 

Picking up on 1066's observations. Whilst shooting indoor at 25 m I have noticed inconsistencies, though small, which I attribute to variations in temperature, so much so that I adjust the tuners to compensate. (All very sad I know).

ES of 20fps is not unusual even for the highest quality match grade ammo, unfortunately we are lumped with it. I have found that the ES of cheaper ammo is even worse. Makes competition shooting incredibly frustrating and the inconsistencies can win or lose a competition. I don't bother to chrono any more as you cant do much about it anyway.

My current batch of R50 has a given m/v of 333m/s, the last batch 328 m/s and R100 341m/s. My rifles prefer the slightly faster R50.

A solution to assisting in accuracy is to use a tuner, generally not much use/help though if you are field shooting and using a moderator. You could try moving a moderator forwards a fraction and see if this makes any difference. A tuner is just a weight that is moved backwards/forwards.