6.5 PRC

Don't imagine there are too many in the UK as its still pretty fresh in the US.

Performance is not dissimilar to the 6.5 SAUM (the SAUM pushes an extra 100fps or so with 140s) but with the bonus of easier/more reliable feeding.

There's a bookface group called "6.5 SAUM, GAP 4S, 6.5 PRC Forum" which is administrated by  George Gardner of GAP - youll find some decent info there if you can be bothered to trawl. There are a couple of videos and pinned bits that might be of interest.

8 minutes ago, Chanonry said:

What is it that the PRC gives us that we can't already get ?

When and if Hornady factory ammo turns up here. 

You get a 6.5 short action mag that will shoot factory ammo.

Not going to change the industry by any means but if it became available over here it would be cool.

I think anything that gives us shooters more choice is a good thing. 

Unfortunately it's Hornady that are giving it to us?

I think a 6mm PRC would be interesting.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/08/its-official-saami-approves-hornady-6-5-prc-and-300-prc/

Hmm...

Been chewing this one over for some time.

1. Looking at the SAAMI spec, the maximum OAL will just go into a AX double stack mag, though it would require modification to the follower. 

2. It will runs similar speeds with same bullet weights as a creedmoor, but the CM will need 28" and the PRC around 22"

3. Only trouble is that Hornady make the brass. The CM brass is renowned for getting trashed at top end loads/speeds.

Personally, I think it would be better built on a magnum long action , to make better use of seating depths. It would feed from an AI .300wm mag.

Sod it, i'll get a reamer.

Man's gotta have a hobby. ?

Interesting critique of the 6.5 PRC on Accurate shooter a while back. 

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/10/new-hornady-6-5-prc-precision-rifle-cartridge/

The main criticism is that it offers only marginal performance over a 6.5 Creedmoor or .260rem. It's basically on par with a 6.5-284 which doesn't require a Magnum bolt face and uses Lapua brass which is infinitely better than Hornadys. It also offers performance akin to other established magnums, such as the 7WSM and 6.5SAUM...so it's not really doing anything new. It will be a barrel burner though - maybe expect between 1,000 to 1,500 rounds at full whack before it's toast.

But it is new and shiny...it may prove to be more accurate or easier to tune than the rest. Only one way to find out perhaps?!? 

The big difference being, this will work in a short action with heavy bullets. The 6.5 x 284 won't.

It was designed primarily as a PRS round. They dont use long actions.

16 minutes ago, baldie said:

The big difference being, this will work in a short action with heavy bullets. The 6.5 x 284 won't.

Sure, I understand that but why the 6.5PRS and not the 7WSM, 6.5SAUM, 7SAUM, considering there's virtually no difference between them.

If people think it truly offers something different and want it...great. Personally I think it's just yet another pointless cartridge by a manufacturer trying to cash in on all the hype and growth around the PRS scene.

2 hours ago, baldie said:

And nobody here shoots PRS......except when the fantasies run wild in their minds

Though it may be something which would appeal to many shooters in the UK if there was some enterprising soul who would arrange an initial come as you are comp

There are plenty of ranges in the uk which could host this type of event 

Diggle, Eskdalemuir, Powys immediately spring to mind as areas which this might be possible

It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility 

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Though it may be something which would appeal to many shooters in the UK if there was some enterprising soul who would arrange an initial come as you are comp

There are plenty of ranges in the uk which could host this type of event 

Diggle, Eskdalemuir, Powys immediately spring to mind as areas which this might be possible

It isn’t beyond the realm of possibility 

I briefly mulled over the idea of organising a PRS type match  (at Orion), however the practicalities of doing such a thing made it unfeasible

Firstly you need a lot of targets then you need a Cof/Match

You would also require a team of people to assist setup and transport vehicles and you would also need to "prove" the match which would require a couple of days of test shooting and making amendments/adjustments to the CoF and targets

I estimated you would all need to spend 5-7 days there, all the while that they are also trying to run it around you as a commercial enterprise.

With targetry, travel and accommodation costs for everyone, you would be hard pressed to recoup your costs within an entry fee that people would find acceptable....so that was the end of that

Diggle is a KD (known distance) range, so therefore no different to Bisley etc, when what is preferred is a UKD (Unknown Distance) range, and not conducive to what a PRS style match would be

While I haven't been to Eskdalemuir, from pics it looks like a single valley/range, so running multiple stages would be an issue which would lead to log jams, bottlenecks, a loss of shooting time and inevitably mass grumblings from shooters who have paid their fees and also to unnecessary stress put upon the organisers

Thanks for the response Mark

Interesting to hear the get your viewpoint, given you’ve run so many comps.

Upu could be right that the only site available that’s currently passed for use would be the Powys sites - central travelling time for many.

Targetry on site and multiple lines of fire abailable ?

Would there be the feasibility to use this as the only site for a PRS style Comp but have several matches over the course of a year using different areas of the site ?

Maybe wouldn’t appeal to those north of the Scottish border due to travelling time but it could work for many south of the border,,,,?

44 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Thanks for the response Mark

Interesting to hear the get your viewpoint, given you’ve run so many comps.

Upu could be right that the only site available that’s currently passed for use would be the Powys sites - central travelling time for many.

Targetry on site and multiple lines of fire abailable ?

Would there be the feasibility to use this as the only site for a PRS style Comp but have several matches over the course of a year using different areas of the site ?

Maybe wouldn’t appeal to those north of the Scottish border due to travelling time but it could work for many south of the border,,,,?

It would require a lot of planning sadly and the targetry onsite isn't what I'd envisage

For example I would envision stages with for example 5 targets set at varied distances, 140, 325, 485, 610, 775yds etc of differing sizes, reactors and fixed clangers with stuff like walls, fences, barricades and such to shoot off/from/over/behind

You'd need to recce the land and see where you would be setting up and then proving it.....it would all be a lot of work and all quite some way from home

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I ruled myself out and there are other people out there who are probably more motivated than me

All it requires is the right people to step up with their enthusiasm and ideas...and to agree costs with the site owners and set fees after your costs are deducted

Matches in the US are spendy, we once entered a 3 gun match in AZ that was nearly $300 per person, but over here people would baulk at those sort of fees, it's a difficult balance

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, trucraft said:

When and if Hornady factory ammo turns up here. 

You get a 6.5 short action mag that will shoot factory ammo.

Not going to change the industry by any means but if it became available over here it would be cool.

I think anything that gives us shooters more choice is a good thing. 

Unfortunately it's Hornady that are giving it to us?

I think a 6mm PRC would be interesting.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/08/its-official-saami-approves-hornady-6-5-prc-and-300-prc/

Its got my attention in 6mm PRC and 70g bullets 😁 it will be fun

Screenshot_20201228-124625.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2018 at 5:24 PM, baldie said:

Hmm...

Been chewing this one over for some time.

1. Looking at the SAAMI spec, the maximum OAL will just go into a AX double stack mag, though it would require modification to the follower. 

2. It will runs similar speeds with same bullet weights as a creedmoor, but the CM will need 28" and the PRC around 22"

3. Only trouble is that Hornady make the brass. The CM brass is renowned for getting trashed at top end loads/speeds.

Personally, I think it would be better built on a magnum long action , to make better use of seating depths. It would feed from an AI .300wm mag.

Sod it, i'll get a reamer.

Man's gotta have a hobby. ?

Baldie

I see that Lapua is now doing 6.5PRC brass. I have an AI AXMC with barrels, bolts and mags for both .308 and 300  win mag.

Based on what you are saying (as an AI gunsmith) if I was interested in a 6.5PRC barrel then I would be better using the win mag mags rather than cramming the 6.5PRC into the short action mags (which I just measures at a  a shade over 3"s) - would there be feed issues in this case?

On a related not - if I wanted a 300 Norma then I would just get the 338 lap bolt and mags presumably?

Thank you