If you could choose one caliber for foxes, what would it be?

Aussie Foxer

I was told years ago by a local gunsmith "Gloucester" 6mm was a recegnised fox caliber ? 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/22/2016 at 8:24 PM, VarmLR said:

Found it deadly accurate and very dependable. Has a wide range of loadings to take care of everything from long range corvid to foxes and munties. Barrels last a hell of a long time, looked after. Cheap to reload too which was the clincher for me.

+1.

I loved my .204 Ruger, but as you would, "prefer to stick to factory ammo" it would have to be the .223 all day long. Always available in various types, bullets and so forth.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:24 PM, onehole said:

Thought I would have gotten more response to this,,,,,has anyone gotten a 243 for fox,,,? If so what were the magic words for reason to acquire? Our FEO did not have a problem in shooting a fox with 243 whilst out deer hunting but pure fox control was refused. Anyone,,,,,,,

I think it purely comes down to each Firearms Licensing Department and THEIR interpretation of what's suitable or not. Often there's no rhyme nor reason to it.

I was told by Gwent police to put in for deer but also state 'all other quarry and vermin'. In addition to deer it would include fox, rabbits, crows etc. The calibre listed would therefore cover everything up to and including deer.

• 5 weeks later...

No one has said .222 I am looking to get a dedicated foxing calibre, I don't need it to shoot deer, I have a .308 for that and 95% of the deer I have on permission are fallow.

I was umming and ahhhhing I thought 22-250 and .223 but now am edging down the .222 route.  Am I mad?

5 hours ago, joed said:

No one has said .222 I am looking to get a dedicated foxing calibre, I don't need it to shoot deer, I have a .308 for that and 95% of the deer I have on permission are fallow.

I was umming and ahhhhing I thought 22-250 and .223 but now am edging down the .222 route.  Am I mad?

No, it’s just a lovely round to shoot and to reload for. 

I have a wide range of calibres and do lots of fox control. I too started with 17 HMR. 117 foxes in my first year with it.

I now prefer my 243 over my 223 & 204.  Trajectory wise there's not a fat lot in it for typical fox ranges between most calibres, but the devastation from the 243 is pretty brutal: They are all instantly dead. Very dead. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

.223 it's a tried and proven caliber world wide. Bullet selection is excellent. If you wanted it primarily for foxes, small game and almost all vermin a 1in12 twist is the perfect twist rate for 55grain bullets. If you decided you want a nice target and vermin rifle in one get a 1in8 twist 62-80grain bullets. 69grain bullets are a great all round bullet for distance and knock down power. 223 is very cost effective, very long barrel life, ammo is avalible in every corner of the earth,  it will buck the wind for better than .20 cals and far cheaper to shoot than 22250 and 243. I have always had a 223 and always will. I Have had 22250 ,270 17hmr 22wmr still have a 243 308 etc etc but the 223 truley is one of the most versatile calibers avalible. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, David Hancock said:

I've gone back to .223.  .17Hornet frankly is a marketing load of puffery with one available round (that being Hornady 20gn v-Max.  Great !!!!!)  HW100 .177. // .22LR. //  .223 - 40gn to 56gn, and 6.5 Creedmoor big smiley face !!

I have an HW66 18 inch 17H and for me it fills a niche perfectly for Foxing near habitation as 3 of my permissions are, it is so discreet with a Panther on it.  Put a 2.7 - 17 STAC on it this week and took it to zero at 100 yards Monday evening. Bore sight then once nearly there three three shot groups to fine tune which all had all three shots touching in all three groups (it was very still).  I love it and find the 20 GRN Vmax perfect for my needs, it puts them down fine.  I have 22 FAC Air, 22lr, 17H, 204 & 6.5 X 55 which cover all bases for me.  Reloading would give more options with the 17H should I choose??

1 hour ago, spanner said:

Been out last night, no cloud and like daylight! :(

I was out Thursday night and it was daylight too, but still managed to spank 3 Charlie's though.

.204 Ruger,39grn s/b/ks and drone on top,the best medicine for fox. Love it😀

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Used the 223 for over 30 years, it’s never let me down. 
Negligible recoil, accurate at normal ranges, plenty of knockdown power for foxes, components and ammunition readily available, good barrel life, available in huge number of different rifles and configurations. 
What’s not to like 👍🏻

22lr for very close around livestock. 17 hmr upto 100 yards 223 for everything else to 200 yards depending on night vision and scope quality. 
22-250 seems to be barrel burners and don’t suit the heavies as well as the 223 . 
1:8” twist tikka shoots 52 grain bullets upto 77 grain heavies all very well. Favourite is the 73 grain Berger when in stock, otherwise it s a 73/75 hornady eldms.