Future shooting range

Hi, I'm getting plans together to construct a shooting range so I'm doing a little but of market research. 

I plan to have steel animal targets at 300 yards, gongs at 500 and 700. Paper targets/gongs at 100 for group testing and zeroing. Smaller animal targets at 50 for rimfires only 

All shooting from benches or prone under a covered position. 

Would the cater for most peoples needs? I'm open to other suggestions 

Thanks

Pay as much attention to your business model as the targetry.

I am sure that setting up a proper facility is incredibly expensive but when I see others needing / wanting to charge £35 per hour it becomes out of reach personally.

Can the UK market stand what you may need to charge to recoup your outlay?

I any event ...the very best of luck....we need more ranges and ones that cater for more than paper punching.

5 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Pay as much attention to your business model as the targetry.

I am sure that setting up a proper facility is incredibly expensive but when I see others needing / wanting to charge £35 per hour it becomes out of reach personally.

Can the UK market stand what you may need to charge to recoup your outlay?

I any event ...the very best of luck....we need more ranges and ones that cater for more than paper punching.

£35 is massively out of reach for most im sure. Where is it thats charging that? Is that the average rate to use a range these days? 

14 minutes ago, Rhudson505404 said:

£35 is massively out of reach for most im sure. Where is it thats charging that? Is that the average rate to use a range these days? 

With regard to club bookings.  One 500yd range we use is £160 per day for three lanes,  that provides proper targeting and butts.   We paid £160 (I think?) for two lanes for a day at Bisley for electronic targets to 1000yds.   Military ranges are a similar charge.

On top of range fees are other costs like MoD License,  NRA Affiliation etc etc.

For an ad-hoc use of a "range" that shoots out to 250yds (in Staffs); they charge £25 per person on an open day once per month.

As DaveT suggests above, I'd be very clear about your business model, it's not just the cost of setting out a field.  Also best of luck with neighbours and noise,  not to mention planning (be aware of falling back on the so called "28 day rule" - it doesn't protect you from other enforcement like noise).

Others have tried in Staffs, and failed.  I wish you the best of British as you're local to me.

32 minutes ago, nCognitos said:

Interesting but a very expensive way to go shooting at short range.

For example, our club in North Staffs is £130 pa membership. That is inclusive of 12x full bore shoots at 500yds, everyday all-year access to 50yd undercover carbine range, two evenings a week, 51 weeks a year, indoor smallbore, and for an extra £35pa, all-week, every week access to .22 smallbore 100yd outdoor ranges with covered firing positions.  We also offer four Bisley 1000yd shoots for an additional £25 each, four times a year.

What would be the attraction of spending £650 pa for far less? (taking Silverstone's "Gold" plan as an example).

I can see the occasional fun day out plinking gongs, but that's not going to sustain a business is it?

1 minute ago, Akeld said:

Pretty sure silverstone scrapped that system very quickly as take up wasn't great.

Not according to their website

2 hours ago, Akeld said:

Pretty sure silverstone scrapped that system very quickly as take up wasn't great.

Nope, https://www.silverstoneshootingcentre.co.uk/shop/membership-renewal/, that's the current costs - people will pay it and more if it fits them. Same with the £35/hour mentioned above - plenty of people will pay that and more if the circumstances are right and their wallet permits.

37 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

Same with the £35/hour mentioned above - plenty of people will pay that and more if the circumstances are right and their wallet permits.

"Plenty of people" - there's the rub, sufficient to make a business pay?   I do hope so but I doubt it especially in the north midlands

As I said, if the circumstances (inc location) are right. There was a 1200ish yard plinking/prs training type thing operating about 15 mins down the road from me (until he fell out with the land owner recently), he was charging £475 a day 1 to 1, with additional shooters at 75 quid a pop - and I know people were paying it ;s

Silverstone are doing ok I assume, as they're building a load more ranges.

Gents

you cannot compare a club with a commercial range. Clubs are normally run by officers who are volunteers ie no associated costs. Also costs, such as say buying a steel target for £109 are ‘at cost’ to the club where as a business would use a value of more than double this for the same item if they have a real business model.

There is always a pool of folks with sufficient spare beer tokens to pay for things and commercial operations cater for this - just look at coffee shops and iPhones 

Good luck with any enterprise 

Brilliant idea!

shame no one’s looking to do something like this in Kent !

absolutely dire here ,

plus both my clay shooting venues have closed due to housing developments 

garden of England I think not!

best of luck with your endeavour 

2 hours ago, terryh said:

Gents

you cannot compare a club with a commercial range. Clubs are normally run by officers who are volunteers ie no associated costs. Also costs, such as say buying a steel target for £109 are ‘at cost’ to the club where as a business would use a value of more than double this for the same item if they have a real business model.

There is always a pool of folks with sufficient spare beer tokens to pay for things and commercial operations cater for this - just look at coffee shops and iPhones 

Good luck with any enterprise 

As you say the business structure is quite different,  but I feel the cost comparison is valid and was just to flag up the cost of the alternatives to attract shooters money,  any good business case should be aware of the competition I feel.

I say good luck with the idea, if it works that will be a great asset and I'll certainly spend some occasional dosh there.

Silverstone are heavily into their mini-rifle competitions, and they've signed up to run US NRL 22 competitions in the UK.

They have a certain clientele who are probably not well served by traditional clubs and, from what I hear, it's very well run.

It would be great for .22 and load development on full bore as well as LBP and potentially Section 1 shotgun.

I think their market is towards the more dynamic shooting styles, if you want to lie in the grass squinting at a target 600-1,000yds away (as I do), then Bisley is your place.

If you can shoot during the week, and you want to join in the dynamic fun, then the Silver at £550 all in for a whole year sounds OK.

+1..........but as well as the grass, don't forget the rain, snow and frost..........we sometimes suffer for our fun.

Pete

On 12/20/2021 at 9:57 PM, GT3_richy said:

Nope, https://www.silverstoneshootingcentre.co.uk/shop/membership-renewal/, that's the current costs - people will pay it and more if it fits them. Same with the £35/hour mentioned above - plenty of people will pay that and more if the circumstances are right and their wallet permits.

I stand corrected

On 12/19/2021 at 7:09 PM, Rhudson505404 said:

Hi, I'm getting plans together to construct a shooting range so I'm doing a little but of market research. 

I plan to have steel animal targets at 300 yards, gongs at 500 and 700. Paper targets/gongs at 100 for group testing and zeroing. Smaller animal targets at 50 for rimfires only 

All shooting from benches or prone under a covered position. 

Would the cater for most peoples needs? I'm open to other suggestions 

Thanks

I would speak to Marc Gardner at Gardners guns he's set up the top 2 shooting ranges in the uk 

I suppose the well healed can shell out huge amounts for their pleasure, but sadly I don't fall into that sector of society. That said, I really enjoy rubbing shoulders with fellow paupers at rifle clubs. Whilst having loadsa money may open more doors, I remain to be convinced that it more pleasure is to be derived from great wealth. I somehow doubt that a rich person would gain as much pleasure from a rifle, however expensive, that only represents a fairly small percentage of their over wealth, as some oik like me that has sacrificed a far higher percentage of their personal GDP on a far lesser, but more highly prized toy. What really makes said oik uber happy is when he out-shoots a fabulously rich chap with some fancy rifle the grubby pleb could only dream of 🤣