Kroil

gazzarM1

Not sure where but apparently has the best penitrating ability on the market. 

I used Kroil for years - great stuff.  But I was told that it was not being imported to the UK anymore.

The stocks that are left - seemed to have mysteriously doubled in price. (I was paying about £12) 

There are certainly alternatives that are just as good.

ATB

Plusgas is pretty good if you can get it however the best penetrating oil by far is acetone and ATF mixed to a very thin consistency, don't get it on your stock though.  Works wonders on steel in aluminium alloys suffering electrolytic corrosion.  Great at freeing gummed up threads too.

Quite honestly, there is nothing magical at all about Kroil. But it does seem to have gained some sort of mythical ‘unicorn tears’ reputation amongst the shooting community. Try Plusgas and I am sure that you won’t be disappointed.

Plusgas is £10.95 for 500mls.........I used it to  loosen rusted in cylinder head studs after busting two sockets, and bending a breaker bar.........it works.

I've found that a lot of gun maintenance stuff is stupidly expensive, and standard engineering products, like Plusgas, are as good as or better.

Pete

A bit like the £1-95 250ml bottle of Sainsbury's walnut oil I use for my rifle stocks..................😉

Pete

30 minutes ago, les said:

I bought a can of Kroil a few years ago to try to release a rusted union. I might as well have used water. The Kroil got dumped in the shed, and I bought THIS from Wilko - it's brilliant!

That can't be any good Les, it didn't require major wallet surgery and tears to buy. 😂

8 hours ago, les said:

I bought a can of Kroil a few years ago to try to release a rusted union. I might as well have used water. The Kroil got dumped in the shed, and I bought THIS from Wilko - it's brilliant!

That's basically Wilko's knock off of WD40. Good stuff.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/3-in-one-200ml-original-multi-purpose-oil-spray/p/0242762

This is good too, available in poundshops for er, a pound! 😁