Sound Moderation

Big Al

One of the most common questions I get asked by customers is "what sound moderator do I recommend?"

My answer is based more on length, weight and size than it is on how much it actually moderates noise. If the quietist moderator is big and heavy then its no use on a lightweight stalking rifle.

Ive read a lot of tests and most moderators seem to do the same thing in that the reduce the sound by say 25db of the rifle without a moderator. Yes design can make small differences but the general principle seems to be that the larger the internal volume and the smaller the holes relative to the bullet size the quieter a moderator will be but as far as my own testing goes Ive yet to use a moderator that would be classed as safe to use for extended periods without additional ear protection. In industry I think its 75db is the safe limit and every mod Ive tested is around 85-90db. Thats fine for many people as it takes the harshness off but it still wouldn't be good for a day on the range without additional protection.

So, to help me going forward with answering this question I pose the question to you guys.

What are your three main considerations when buying a new moderator in order of importance?

Hmm...a new line of products on the horizon perhaps??

For me, shooting a target/PRS type gun, I look for the following in a mod;

1. End of barrel mod vs reflex. Personally i dislike reflex types as I think they affect barrel harmonics more than an end of barrel. Plus reflex leave the barrel hotter for longer

2. Material & construction. Pointless if it’s made of materials that will rust or corrode by gas cutting or carbon/powder residue. I also prefer them to be strippable so I can clean everything now and then.

3. Weight. End of barrel on a 26” barrel will be like a massive counterweight if not careful. Whilst price isn’t a big deal for me, I’d still prefer to sacrifice weight for the sheer cost the Titanium moderators go for. Personally I think they’re silly money.

3 things I look for

1, it doesn’t look and feel like a piece of cast iron down pipe

2, I don’t mind spending £300-400 on a good moderator as long as I know it’s going to do a job well, and last a good while. 

3, it doesn’t resemble a sex toy!

Build quality and strength..

Longlivity.

I have 2 centre fire mods.

A Mk1 Ase Utra S5 I've had from new.. it's heavy being built like a tank. It's probaly seen near 10,000 shots over the years I've had it and it still looks like new inside looking with a teslong borescope..

I have a Jetz compact..

Bought 3rd hand that I know of..

It's had very little use by me..!!

It's lighter.. maybe a tad quieter.

Inside doesn't look like the S5 as it holds the carbon etc etc. Bits fall off if you tap it on a hard surface.

I just can't see that there's a better mod than the Mk1 S5..

The Mk2 S5 is thinner material. It's lighter and more tinny.

I don't care about a few extra ounces of weight.

My criteria are very similar to those that No I deer listed above - sound suppression, strength and longevity. I have an Ase Utra SL7 (the Mk1 design): it’s heavy, but in fact lighter and quieter than the Jet Z compact. Very good sound suppression and utterly bomb proof. I personally can’t see the point in a strippable design when they are as well made and as easily maintained as this one.

For my AX308, my criteria were different as I wanted one that went over the AI brake. In the end I went with the rather overpriced AI aluminium design. However it is designed for .338, so should last fairly well on a .308.

An important caveat is that my moderators are purely used for target shooting, so only get carried from the car to the firing point. However, I am just starting a hunting/target crossover type build and will probably go with the lighter SL5i for this one.

Hi there 

very happy with 2 ase dual rimfire mods as are easily taken apart to clean and have a low profile . Although heavy they balance the short barrels nicely .

centre fire wise it’s an AI ally mod very good at moderating the 308 and very light it doesn’t change point of impact. 

Quality of materials and well cut threads are what I’d be looking for and if alloy is used a stainless first baffle or bush would be good but this then mixes metals causing galvanic action if not kept dry . A lightweight all stainless take apart mod would be ideal . Also spanner flats on the thread bush in case it gets stuck .

Cheers 

I'm a bit odd (I could put a full stop there, I suppose) - I like a mod to be as compact as possible, but making as much use of intelligent gas flow to maximise noise reduction efficiency. 

When mods were first 'in' every man Jack with an rfd seemed to start knocking out mods that were just variations on washer stacks - and some were appallingly noisy. 

So my tip would be, understand what you're trying to do with the gas flow; then make the smallest mod you can to achieve a desired dB rating.

I think it always boils down to the same basic criteria (albeit a different vernacular); Size, Weight and Power.  With Mods I'd say efficiency would supplant "power" in that standard metric.

But, that being said, I'd also consider materials (durability) as well as maintenance (how easy is it to clean and maintain).

JMTCW...

When I bought my first mod I wanted the quietest available and didn't care much about weight or size.

I know better now and if I'm buying a mod for a hunting rifle,  weight,  diameter and added length to the rifle would be the things most important to me.

Some mods look like a can of beans at the end of the barrel.

For range use I would want something in stainless or all steel that is built to last.