Roundhouse Rifle Challenge 10/08/2013

Tiff

I am currently in the final stages of establishing a field rifle shooting location down here in the SW on Bodmin Moor. The concept is to provide fellow rifle shooters with a location to practice/zero their rifles at a variety of ranges out to 600+ yards on steel & paper targets.

It is not a range, so provided your rifles are conditioned for field shooting (ground cleared for 'fullbore') and you have your own valid shooting insurance, you can shoot. Permission will be granted on a daily basis, just like paid stalking etc. The emphasis is on the shooter to be a safe shot and follow safe shooting practice, being responsible for every shot and every moment handling a firearm. It shall be ready for bookings @ £40 per shooter (min 6 shooters) from mid-late July and pictures shall follow nearer that time.

A key part is to hold the 'Roundhouse Rifle Challenge', a tactical style field shoot with a varied COF and targets out to around 650 yards. The plan is to simulate all styles of UK field rifle shooting from deer stalking to long range varminting, with some more unconventional shooting positions thrown in.....It will not be overly physically demanding, but in a similar vein to the quarry shoots, rifles must be manageable and capable of being shot from a variety of positions per stage. The stages will be fairly equally weighted between close range positional shooting and longer distance prone work, giving everyone a good opportunity to excel.

The farms location is beautifully remote on the high moors and therefore moderators are not required, plus muzzle brakes can be used. Also there is no specific caliber limit, simply it must be conditioned on your FAC for field shooting in the UK. The COF will not exceed 100 rounds and FMJ & lathe turned solid bullets are not permitted - HPBT match are ok to use, though expanding/A-Max style are preferred.

The first Roundhouse Rifle Challenge will be held on Saturday 10th August, with shooting from 09:00 to 17:00. The cost is £40 per shooter, with places limited to 24. Please indicate your interest on this thread and the pm me for payment details. Your place is only confirmed once payment has been received.

Onsite accommodation (bunk beds) for up to 18 people is available for Friday &/or Saturday night in a self catering bunkhouse @ £10 per night. Camping (bring your own tent...) is also available onsite either outside or in large barn @ £5 per night. Either option is no more than 100 yards from the main firing point.

The mile long farm drive really requires a 4x4 to easily negotiate, although it can be done with care in most cars - other than low sports cars. Alternatively you can be collected from the start of the track at the moorland carpark (parking at own risk etc.).

Clay pigeon shooting is also available Friday & Saturday evening, with DTL, ABT, UT and Sporting at around £20 per hundred clays.

There is also the option of practicing shooting 650 - 1,000+ yards on Sunday 11th August from 10.30am for an extra £30 per shooter. This will be limited to a max of 6 shooters and again please confirm in advance if you wish to do this.

I hope it sounds appealing and please fire away with any questions you may have about it.

Cheers,

Tiff

N.B. The landowners involved have expressly asked for their farms not to be named on the internet in reference to these shoots, so once you know the location please only refer to it as the Roundhouse Rifle Challenge, The Roundhouse or RRC etc.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is 'field shooting' the same as 'open' cert?

Cheers

The ground has been cleared by the police for 'fullbore' field shooting, so open or closed is ok.

Simply the rifles used must not be granted solely on the FAC for target shooting, since this is not a range. Also on challenge days, anyone with a mentoring/supervisory condition on their FAC's will not be able to shoot I'm afraid, but are more than welcome on other days.

Im travelling back from holiday that day, but would be keen to attend future events.

Is it open to "outsiders" or just members of the forum/secret handshake society??

Good work!

Yep I'm free that weekend as is a friend so put me down for two places please.

Pete

Hi Pete,

No problems, once you know when you plan on arriving/departing & accomadition requirements etc. please drop me a pm to confirm your places.

Im travelling back from holiday that day, but would be keen to attend future events.

Is it open to "outsiders" or just members of the forum/secret handshake society??

Good work!

It is open to anyone who's a safe shot, meets the entry requirements mentioned above and would like to shoot it - no funny handshake required.....

Good effort Tiff,

If my rifle is ready by then I will be there if it is not and you are short of numbers I will still pay up & come to see the results of your hard work and meet the rest of the shooters and help out where I can, with a view to returning on a non competition day.

All the best,

Bob...

Good work!

Massive diary error, I'm free that day, 1 place please..

Pm's sent with payment details to people who have expressed an interest to date.

Please note your place is NOT confirmed untill payment is received - the closing date for entry is July 26th.

Confirmed entries for Saturdays RRC are as follows:

Oaken + Friend

Tisme + Friend

JohnMH

C18rch

PCal

Hoot

Swamp Donkey

Walkabout

TerryH

Offroad Gary

Bushdog + Friend

Jungle_re

Brown Dog

Matt D (friend of mine)

Tony

Total: 18

6 spaces left!

Sunday

Tisme + Friend

TerryH

PCal

Total: 4 (2 spaces left - reduced to a max of 6 shooters)

I will update this post as and when places are confirmed. Please let me know if you have paid and I haven't updated this list....

Many thanks,

Tiff

Edit: Couldn't count last night.....Round count will be a max of 100 for the Saturday and unlimited on the Sunday practice/zero.

Working and unlikely to be able to attend this one, but interested in future events..well done!

Archived