Roundhouse Rifle Challenge 10/08/2013

Tiff

Just back home after a great day shooting with a like minded bunch who all pretty much enjoyed it. CoF was challenging, wind was hard to read, UKD ranging not as easy as you might think when under time pressure. The .223 grouped well but the 10x scope was not clear enough to see shot holes so sometimes the groups were in just the wrong place hence a washout on the 'Know Your Limits' Stage. I was more than happy with my overall position taking into account the limitations of my equipment.

Terry was, however, right as on balance my .260 would probably have been a better choice.

Roll on the next one.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back home after a great day shooting with a like minded bunch who all pretty much enjoyed it. CoF was challenging, wind was hard to read, UKD ranging not as easy as you might think when under time pressure. The .223 grouped well but the 10x scope was not clear enough to see shot holes so sometimes the groups were in just the wrong place hence a washout on the 'Know Your Limits' Stage. I was more than happy with my overall position taking into account the limitations of my equipment.

Terry was, however, right as on balance my .260 would probably have been a better choice.

Roll on the next one.

Why didn't you use the .260?

Had a great time, good to put some faces to names, test out new gear good and bad and even hit the odd target or 2.

Big thanks to Tiff and the guys for all the hard work. I look forward to returning and hopefully being a little more competitive next time around.

Cheers Will

First off - thank' s Tiff to you and your (suffering) parents for putting this comp on, very good, sufficiently challenging and well run. You have obviously put a lot of time and effort into building the butts and gongs etc.

Good to meet other folks, still cannot put UKV names to all the faces.

As always you end up going away knowing what you cannot do :)

Looking fwd to the next one.

Terry

Another vote of thanks to Tiff and the long-suffering look-outs. Lots of hard work has very obviously gone into this.

I enjoyed the day immensely, despite the humiliating shooting (entirely self-inflicted). As Terry says - you come away knowing what you can't do!! (In my case that seems to be quite a lot!!!)

I'm also looking forward to the next one. Well done and thanks to all who made this happen..

Tiff and helpers, that was an excellent day:

Imaginative, 'different', sufficiently challenging to take everyone outside their comfort zone, very calmly & slickly run.

Obviously a ton of preparation had gone into it.

Brilliant. :)

Also good to meet new people and enjoy such a friendly and relaxed atmosphere (although I have to admit, I don't think I put any UKV names to faces!).

Thanks Tiff!

Another thanks to Tiff and everybody who helped run the day...especially his parents, it must have been a bit lonely especially when it started to rain!

Great day, learned a lot

Note to myself...not enough knowledge of where your rifle is at different distances and Ballistic programes are not in any way precise.

Great to meet fellow UKV members

Roll on the next one.

M

Unfortunately we were not able to take pics at the comp, but to give a flavour for anyone not there what I meant by challenge, the target below is half of one of the stages.

From memory, we had one minute to bang 5 rounds into a know-your-limits target at 200yds AS WELL AS bang 5 rounds into this 275yard hun's head.

Several of us got strange elevation shifts at these targets - coming in 'a minute high' (0.3milrad in real money) -almost certainly vertical wind.

You'll see here that my first shot at 275 landed 3 clicks high.

I took 3 clicks off and banged the next four into a 0.5MOA group.

......................and scored NOTHING ! :(:lol: :lol:

Because the same thing happened on the KYL and I therefore successfully cancelled the points for both targets ....

...it was some good, thought provoking and challenging shooting :)

(I'm still weeping :rolleyes::lol: )

Tiffshoottarget547x750_zps20f00046.jpg

Well, im up for the next one, now I have an appropriate tool....

I'd totally agree that the shoot was very challenging and field shooting is a world apart from shooting on a manicured know distance range with level firing points and numerous wind flags.

Like Matt I scored nothing on the KYL stage I was also shooting somewhat blind as the x10 scope I was using did not have the resolution or magnification to be able to see the shot holes in the paper targets at 200 and 275.

I opted to shoot that stage with 5 shots at the Fig 14 first and then go for the KYL, both of the targets were numbered and I had to rely on the assistance of another shooter with a more powerful scope to identify my targets as I could not even resolve the numbers. That said the AR shot and grouped well, the ballistic (Ballistic AE on an iPad) programme I'm using gave me pretty accurate elevations using the Litz and G7 BCs and formulae.

What was clear is that quite a few competitors opted not to shoot at the KYL targets at all so kept their Fig 14 scores.

IMG_0112_zpsd7a5578b.jpg

IMG_0113_zpsa4d0b818.jpg

If I could have seen the shot holes at 200 I'd have made a correction, a couple of others also shot high at 200 and Matt's wind theory is probably correct. My stray shot out to the right I think was the one that went through my moderator cover as it was blown off and shot :ph34r: with the last round of the stage, I was surprised to see it on the target.

Just got back after two great days shooting, day one fast and hectic, day two very laid back. Really enjoyed both. Thanks Tiff and everyone for making it a great weekend.

Just got back after two great days shooting, day one fast and hectic, day two very laid back. Really enjoyed both. Thanks Tiff and everyone for making it a great weekend.

Teasing git how did the two of you get on at the extended ranges with the .223?

Good to meet you both

Will

Nothing like the sound of a gong being hit at 1225yds!

Thoroughly enjoyed the challenge on the Saturday. All ran very smoothly and enjoyed the pace though I find rapid fire difficult at the best of times and ended up with quite a lot of rounds left in the box which reflected in my scores. Must practice......

All you lightweights that shuffled off on Saturday missed a real treat today.

I wanted to check my zero and drop data so we started at 100/200yds on paper then extended out to 750, 1025 and 1225 on the gongs. I must say I learned a great deal about reading the wind and calling shots. The wind was perfect varying between 5 and 12mph at various points between gun and gong making the wind calls a real challenge but enabling sufficient hits to keep the mind focussed.

That fist shot hit for Paul and the TRG at 1025yds was a classic :-D

Thanks Tiff and all involved. What a fantastic weekend! Bring on the next one :-D

Rup

Really gutted i missed this weekend Tiff, sounds like everyone had a top time up there. I have been up there twice and know how challenging the wind can be there. Will ring you this week this week when you have recovered from the weekend.

Carl.

Thank you to everyone for attending this first RRC shoot and all your subsequent supportive comments.

I have just got back and am very much looking forward to sleep (as are my parents) - so will keep it short and hopefully coherent!

I am really pleased (& relieved) that both days appear to have been a success; it is hard to judge when running the main day and shouting firing commands at everyone.....The look of mild panic and adrenaline based shakes (that many of you had) after the initial timed 100 yard stages was fun to watch and apparently it was good to shoot - your facial expressions had me worried for a bit I was pushing you too hard!

Congratulations to PCal for achieving the best zeroing of the day, with a convincing lead of 102pt at 764pt. With the next five shooters in descending order being numbers: 18, 12, 6, 17 & 11 with only 34pt between all of them!

Also very well done to Jungle Re & my friend Matt whom both judge the range by eye (without any milling) on the UKD stages to within a couple of yards every time, proving its hard to beat good fieldcraft skills.

Sundays shoot went very well with fine weather and plenty of very good long range shots taken from 750 to 1225 yards. Tisme had a very close 1/2 moa miss on an 8" gong at 1030yds, which given the wind and the 'mouse caliber' .223 caliber was cracking. Equally Oaken's and Pcal's first round hits on sub MOA gongs beyond a 1,000yds were spectacular.

I plan to hold the next challenge day in mid-late September (before the days draw in too much), so details will follow in the next week or two.

Tiff

N.b. Thanks for the venison sausages and bottle of sloe gin, they were the perfect late night tea for all of us!

Great day Tiff. Thank you and your helpers for putting it on and making it run so smoothly.

Great to meet some new people and catch up with others.

Looking forward to the next one. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hopefully I'll make both days next time.

Rich

Teasing git how did the two of you get on at the extended ranges with the .223?

Good to meet you both

Will

Hi Will

750 was ok but at 1000 I could see splash next to the 8" gong but didn't hit it before I ran out of ammo. Again really great weekend thanks to a very friendly group and lots of work from Tiff

A big well done to Paul as well.

Really good day Tiff, thanks to you and all who helped put the day together made it a most enjoyable shoot, roll on the next one.

Nice to see all you guys again.

All the best, Tony.

Really good day Tiff, thanks to you and all who helped put the day together made it a most enjoyable shoot, roll on the next one.

Nice to see all you guys again.

All the best, Tony.

No vertical wind seen by the trusty .308! But i did manage to stuff the kyl too!

04C2AFB4-C793-410A-966E-BA50B2259594-238

Perhaps deductions should be made for those filthy cheats that opted not to shoot the kyl and pocket the points!

Great day

Gary

I was one of those filthy cheats :):D

It took me so long to find my numbered kyl target (dodgy eyes!) I was just about to fire the first shot when tiff shouted stop!

Who knows maybe I could have got some extra points, or maybe lost them all?

Thats how the game plays out sometimes.

Good fun though!!

Archived