Roundhouse Rifle Challenge 10/08/2013

Tiff

Hi Tiff,

Please could you put me and Paddy down for the saturday please and Paddy for the Sunday.

My internet is beyond shite at the moment (stuck offshore till the 7th of August) ive sent a pm about payment.

Not got the ideal gear but keen to have a crack and a look see for when my pipeline orders are finished.

Cheers Will

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been out to see the the lay of the land and a 'Roundhouse', Tiff has done a lot of prepartion work and still has some more to do but it's easy to see how he can make this a challenging day out. BigDogSteels are standing upto .308 and .338 hits well.

IMG_0082_zps18a529e5.jpg

No damage evident on the plate other than the paint.

Hi Tiff. Are there any spaces left? - would like to come and have a go!!

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your PM and sorry about the questions as to whom you are - as a new member on here I was being careful what info I gave out to someone I thought I didn't know etc......We've only shot together for the last 6 years or so! I've sent you a return PM with payment details. Great to have you onboard.

Cheers,

Tiff

Lift share from west berks/wilts area anyone? Travelling down friday pm, back saturday after comp.

Maybe stay sat night also but wont be shooting sunday.

Tiff,

Just beamed payment to you.

Lift share from west berks/wilts area anyone? Travelling down friday pm, back saturday after comp.

Maybe stay sat night also but wont be shooting sunday.

Gary,

Definite 'maybe'. Not sure on my own movement plan yet. One thought: Friday evening to Cornwall - that'll be the worst A303 / A30 traffic imaginable!

Fair play for asking though, you must be mad?

Her back was turned, the door was open, so he thought he'd take a chance! :)

T

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your PM and sorry about the questions as to whom you are - as a new member on here I was being careful what info I gave out to someone I thought I didn't know etc......We've only shot together for the last 6 years or so! I've sent you a return PM with payment details. Great to have you onboard.

Cheers,

Tiff

No worries, Tiff - I wasn't sure you were you, either, or I might have been more forthright!!

I'm looking forward to it, although I will probably be shooting it with my stalking rifle, because its all I've got until Mr Wylde finishes my new rifle!

Bushdog,

I've a couple of rifles you can have a blast with!

T

A kind offer indeed, but I'm afraid for insurance/legal reasons connected to the sporting lease, everyone must shoot their own rifles, covered by their own insurance etc.

Sorry about this, however a lighter weight stalking rifle will certainly be handy on the closer range positional stages....

Tiff - I meant to ask - is mag capacity likely to be an issue?

I currently have 5s, but could convert to 10s, if it will be any help.

A 10 rd mag would possibly help on a couple of stages, but in reality 2 x 5's will be fine.

Most stages will be 5rds or less, so at a push 1x 5 rd mag would be ok, but not ideal.

I'm building the last target bunkers in the next two weeks, so the COF has yet to be finalised...

I meant to say - if its of any help, I have a few steel targets about which are Hardox 400 or AR500 discs, plus 2 x 2/3 size pepper poppers which I don't know what they are made of, but which will withstand .375 H&H 300gn solids without denting. Let me know if you need them.

Terry - most kind, most kind!!

I shall bring my stalking rifle and see how I get on -if it proves all too challenging - I will take you up on that!!

Many thanks..

I'll be using my stalking rifle this time around (in a similar position to you waiting on 2 customs at the moment), i'm not expecting to be remotely competitive with the tactical rigs but should be fun and a good heads up for when the more suited equipment rocks up. It will be interesting to see what i can manage with a factory sporter and factory ammo.

Look at the results of the MQC. The 'tacticool' rifles get trounced by 'stalking' rifles.

First place twice was a Tikka T3, not sure what Paddy (danpd) won with at the last one but I was in second place with a standard Tikka 595 .222 and third went to a T3.

So, don't dismiss the stalking set-ups ;)

Tiff,,,,"If" I can get time off work then may be a player???Bit concerned all my rifles are single shot heavy buggers and what postion I may be expected to contort my now fat body into?? Are mags need for a timed section perhaps?? Can you just give me an idea please thanks.

Will attend your range at some time anyways but congrats on all the hard work you must have put in ,,,,,I do hope you all have enormous fun up there,,,Regds David.

Hi David,

To be honest I can't precisely answer your questions, yet....the COF is constantly evolving as I build more target bunkers and think up more imaginative things to shoot off as I'm out there. Positions wise standing; sitting, kneeling and prone should cover it - with obstacles like hay bales, fence posts, gates, cars, hedges, oil drums etc. to shoot off.

A magazine would undoubtedly help, but provided your loose rounds are easily to hand for follow-up shots it wouldn't be a massive hinderance. I've seen chaps with a benchrest style round holder attached to the sides of their rifles that could shoot almost as fast a those with mags....

That said, Sunday's longer distance practice may well be better suited to your rifles, moving steadily back up the hill shooting from 650ish out to 1,000+. I can't normally offer this distance, so it may be a good chance to stretch out there with like minded people.

Hope that helps at bit.

Also Bushdog, thanks very much for the offer. I'll drop you a line regarding the pepper poppers nearer the time if I'm short.

Archived