Roundhouse Rifle Challenge 10/08/2013

Tiff

Look at the results of the MQC. The 'tacticool' rifles get trounced by 'stalking' rifles.

First place twice was a Tikka T3, not sure what Paddy (danpd) won with at the last one but I was in second place with a standard Tikka 595 .222 and third went to a T3.

So, don't dismiss the stalking set-ups ;)

+1 on that...mine was too long , too heavy and apart from one shot ....over magnified.

I am taking my stalker next time out!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your reply Tiff,,,sounds like the many years I did with field target air rifle only now with centrefires!!!,,,,brilliant fun,,,wont know about work for a day or two ,,,if I miss out then there will be another day I,m sure,,,,,,many thanks,,,David

danpd (Paddy) won the MQC, single feeding rounds into his rifle.

Sometimes a bit slower can focus the mind and produce better shooting!

Now thats got me thinking.... 10 shot AI, 5 shot sako, or single shot cooper....

At the MQC I was just using my standard stalker model in 6.5x47. This has a 24" barrel and a floor plate. On the timed stage I just had my rounds in a small MTM case and fed them one by one. Even with knocking the box over and putting the rounds back in, I still managed to get round under par, and I didn't particularly feel rushed.

The only time I used the mag was on the barricade, because trying to single feed, and wobble the rifle about at obtuse angles would be a PITA.

If a cackhanded FB like me can do it, then I suggest that you don't panic too much about your rifle/setup and just come and enjoy the day, by the time it's over you will have had a great time and certainly a few more ideas on what setup will work for you in future.

At the MQC I was just using my standard stalker model in 6.5x47. This has a 24" barrel and a floor plate. On the timed stage I just had my rounds in a small MTM case and fed them one by one. Even with knocking the box over and putting the rounds back in, I still managed to get round under par, and I didn't particularly feel rushed.

Note to self.

Make it harder !!

;)

Tiff, would like to shoot in the comp, do you still have places available.

Tony.

Tiff, just spotted your post in my in box, will transfer the £40 this weekend.

Anyone driving down the M5 on the way to the shoot, I am looking to share a lift and will help with the fuel cost.

Tony.

Entry for Saturday is now closed. The 18 confirmed entries are:

Oaken + Friend

Tisme + Friend

JohnMH

C18rch

PCal

Hoot

Swamp Donkey

Walkabout

TerryH

Offroad Gary

Bushdog + Friend

Jungle_re

Brown Dog

Matt D (friend of mine)

Tony

Confirmed entries for Sunday are:

Tisme + Friend

TerryH

PCal

N.b. If you have paid and your name is not on the list, please let me know....

I will send out the COF and site rules etc. in the next few days.

For Saturday the round count is confirmed at a max of 100 rounds and you will need accurate drop charts to 700 yards. Sundays round count is unlimited, with accurate drop charts to a max range of around 1,300 yards recommended.

Many thanks for all your interest and support.

Tiff

If any one still requires a lift from wiltshire way (M4 jnc 17 or 18).

I can take one, will be leaving about 1300hrs on the friday.

Will

hi Tiff

i been away since this topic was posted and have only just seen it,if you have any cancelations i will be in cornwall at that time so please put me on the hopefulls list if thats ok,

anyone know any good gunshops or dealers that in the event i could logde my rifle,i will be near perranporth,

cheers

Matt

Shoot details, COF, directions etc. have hopefully been emailed to everyone attending this weekend.

If you have not received this, please pm me with your email address.

See you all on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

Many thanks for your support,

Tiff

Well after having reviewed the CoF I have decided to take the .223 AR for Saturday. My .260 is a nice accurate gun but probably too heavy and over scoped for the positional elements of the shoot. I might struggle a little more at the longer distances in the afternoon but the light weight and versatility of the AR might help overall, will also be an opportunity to put the March 1-10x24 scope through its paces.

Well after having reviewed the CoF I have decided to take the .223 AR for Saturday. My .260 is a nice accurate gun but probably too heavy and over scoped for the positional elements of the shoot. I might struggle a little more at the longer distances in the afternoon but the light weight and versatility of the AR might help overall, will also be an opportunity to put the March 1-10x24 scope through its paces.

Not seen the CoF but having spoken to Tiff at the MQC I hope to participate in the future.

I too found that I took too heavy and over-scoped a gun to my first MQC and will revert to a stalker next outing.

My stalker is 260... just need a slightly more powerful scope on it and I am away!

John,

Are you looking at the correct COF :D ?? Only one standing stage the rest is either sitting (2 stages) the balance prone or supported off structures etc.?

But bring the March 1-10 as I'd like a squint thru' it please - also your feeling compared to the 1-8FFP?

For me 6.5x47 + 3-24x Saturday, same stick for Sunday plus 7mmSAUM + 5-40x & 45-70 + Soule's. (sorry for using your rifle MJR :wub: )

Looking fwd to it, weather looks OK, bit more breeze on the Sunday (bloody typical ! :( )

Terry

Terry

My .260 is a big heavy gun with a 12-50x56 PMII, great for all prone and built primarily for McQueens. The positional timed elements make me think the .223 might be the best compromise although it might suffer at longer ranges if the wind picks up. The ideal would be my T2k in 6XC but its not correctly configured at the moment so that will have to be another time.

100_3882_zps706f2324.jpg

So its going to be this for Saturday

file_zps4417d5cd.jpg

Was interesting shooting with the rifle canted at 90 degrees today, elevation and windage offset was far more than expected.

Poor old Tiff he has to live nearby, I for one, although not attending vote 'bright and tight' as a theme for a local bar.

The only gay in the village comes to mind :D

Archived