6.5 creedmoor banned on MOD ranges

I don't shoot that calibre, BUT I think people on here do, I have had a notification from my club to all members this morning, (as our ranges are all MoD), that the MoD has imposed a ban on 6.5 Creedmoor being shot on any MoD ranges, no reason given.

Apparantly the NRA are taking the issue up.

Best of luck.

Have Fun

Robin 

The NRA "news" only refers to MoD ranges in Salisbury plain, But our club has been notified specifically about our range use  in the East of England, Thetford, and Barton Road, Cambridge, by DIO, 

Quote:-

"6.5 Creedmoor amunition should not be used on DIO purpose built ranges which is the current advice from The Range Infrastructure Technical team until further notice."

Best of luck guys

Robin

Bisley? Sorry Pete, I thought it was classified as one, sorry if its not, Above is all, I've had from my club, and you can see what is on the NRA news, but the info all seems a bit sudden and confused.

Does not involve me, just thought you guys should know!

Best of Luck

If 6.5CM is banned and that's upheld after due discussion etc etc with NRA I would be very surprised - but if it does, then a whole raft of other calibres must also be in the pot too when some bright spark realises there's nowt particularly special about 6.5CM 

Sounds very much like an arse covering no-nothing box ticker at work somewhere in DIO.

Meanwhile, it's ok to shoot .338LM after a HME zero.....

Don't panic ..... Yet, the NRA are taking the issue up, and you have no idea why this is happening. Its not one of my calibres, but from what I can see its not a particularly lively calibre so I doubt its been picked out as such!

I suspect, and I'm only guessing, that there may have been an incident involving it, my email from my club also quotes ....

"this topic is on the agenda for the Defence Range Safety Committee meeting, being held next week".

Best of luck guys,

Robin

Stop trying to view this through civvy eyes.

Royal Marines choose a 'NEW' calibre.

DIO/MOD/An Officer somewhere, sees this, picks up the manual. No mention of 6.5 Creedmoor anywhere here.

Must be very dangerous, that's why the Cabbage Heads have chosen it.

Stop everything until we know otherwise.

Manual says No. 

Just as the Manual says No to anything other than 5.56 on Falling Plates.

Manual says No, or doesn't say Yes, then it's No.

Once they understand and include 6.5CM in the Manual it will be fine. 

Just don't mention other calibres or they'll start looking in the manual for them! 

2 hours ago, Roy W said:

Stop trying to view this through civvy eyes.

Royal Marines choose a 'NEW' calibre.

DIO/MOD/An Officer somewhere, sees this, picks up the manual. No mention of 6.5 Creedmoor anywhere here.

Must be very dangerous, that's why the Cabbage Heads have chosen it.

Stop everything until we know otherwise.

Manual says No. 

Just as the Manual says No to anything other than 5.56 on Falling Plates.

Manual says No, or doesn't say Yes, then it's No.

Once they understand and include 6.5CM in the Manual it will be fine. 

Just don't mention other calibres or they'll start looking in the manual for them! 

spot on Roy

On 10/4/2024 at 1:12 PM, Akeld said:

Read on another forum that a range (possibly south west) has had a discussion and its permitted for use

Turns out it was facebook, apparently Millpool range

From the NRA

6.5mm Creedmoor ammunition:
The NRA has received confirmation from Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) that, on UK DIO ranges, 6.5mm Creedmoor ammunition shall only be used where 8.59mm ammunition (338 Lapua Magnum) is permitted. Club RCO’s must check range standing orders as part of the shoot planning/range recce process and ensure compliance.   

NRA advises operators of private ranges (as defined at NRA Handbook para 108b) to check the limitations applicable to their ranges and ensure that all firearm / ammunition combinations in use fall within those limitations. 

The use of 6.5mm Creedmoor ammunition on NSC ranges at Bisley is unaffected by DIO restrictions.

Nic Couldrey
Regional Ranges Manager

56 minutes ago, John MH said:

From the NRA

6.5mm Creedmoor ammunition:
The NRA has received confirmation from Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) that, on UK DIO ranges, 6.5mm Creedmoor ammunition shall only be used where 8.59mm ammunition (338 Lapua Magnum) is permitted. Club RCO’s must check range standing orders as part of the shoot planning/range recce process and ensure compliance.   

NRA advises operators of private ranges (as defined at NRA Handbook para 108b) to check the limitations applicable to their ranges and ensure that all firearm / ammunition combinations in use fall within those limitations. 

The use of 6.5mm Creedmoor ammunition on NSC ranges at Bisley is unaffected by DIO restrictions.

Nic Couldrey
Regional Ranges Manager

Better.  Still it's a fine demonstration of DIO muddled thinking

The problem is that 6.5CM being ballistically superior to 7.62 does not fall within the range templates for ranges designed for 7.62 (.308 for us amateurs). We need to 'NOT make a lot of noise' about this or they might look deeper into other calibres that are NOT regularly used by the MOD.

Fortunately we are still allowed to use our 6.5CMs on ranges templated for .338.

It's a shame I won't be able to use my 6.5CM on a blowy day at Rogiet Moor when the .223 might struggle at 600m with windage, but at least I can still use it at 1000yards at IR2.  TBH 6.5CM is really a long range calibre. 

As civilians we just need to take it on the chin. If we, as a minority group in the true sense of the expression, make a lot of noise and the DIO etc think we're a nuisance we might be told to sod off completely and we won't be getting much public support. Look what happened to ODRC when they argued the toss. It might not be fair, but when was life ever fair?