calibre recommendations for long range shooting

Hi all,

I’m thinking about getting into long range shooting and wanted to ask what your thoughts are on the best calibre for this. 

I know it might be a question with lots of different answers, so to narrow it down some, I’ll probably be shooting at 400 and 600 and 1,000 metres. I can reload my own ammunition. 

I spoke to some experienced members of my club and they recommended .308, they are quite old school , and while that’s not a bad thing, I wanted to ask on here for other options. 

I did mention the 6.5 mm calibre and the response was that this is more of a trend/fashion thing, not exactly sure about this. 

Im asking as I’ll need to put in for a variation on my FAC. 

Thanks all. 

I had the same dilemma a few years ago.  went for a 6.5 creedmoor, and don't regret my choice, shot it out to 1200 yards at Bisley, however I warn you long range shooting is addictive, i've now also got a 300PRC for 1200Y+ and I really do fancy a 375 Cheytac as well 🙂

6 hours ago, Danny said:

Hi all,

I’m thinking about getting into long range shooting and wanted to ask what your thoughts are on the best calibre for this. 

I know it might be a question with lots of different answers, so to narrow it down some, I’ll probably be shooting at 400 and 600 and 1,000 metres. I can reload my own ammunition. 

I spoke to some experienced members of my club and they recommended .308, they are quite old school , and while that’s not a bad thing, I wanted to ask on here for other options. 

I did mention the 6.5 mm calibre and the response was that this is more of a trend/fashion thing, not exactly sure about this. 

Im asking as I’ll need to put in for a variation on my FAC. 

Thanks all. 

Get a 284 

Thanks for the replies. 

When it comes to applying for a variation how specific do you need to be?

For example are some calibres in metric units basically the same as other imperial ones but with a different name?

Dont suppose I could just put in for a variation that states ‘full bore target rifle’?!

If you're applying for .308 always put .308/7.62*51 and same for ammo. Same for .223/5.56

Normally you need to put the specific chambering for other 6.5*47, 6.5 creedmore etc

Always worth a chat with your FEO if you can reach them

Alan

You should only have to specify the calibre not the chambering and then only in metric or imperial. Having said this, as we all well know, each licensing authority makes up its own rules.

I currently have a space on my ticket for a 6.5 mm.

3 hours ago, Twodogs said:

You should only have to specify the calibre not the chambering and then only in metric or imperial. Having said this, as we all well know, each licensing authority makes up its own rules.

I currently have a space on my ticket for a 6.5 mm.

Thanks for the info. Apologies for being not so knowledgeable, but if I fancied 6.5mm for example, would I apply for a .308/7.62?

Depending on what my licensing dept says of course (met).

Thanks,

danny. 

Basically no, as .308/7.62mm and 6.5mm are different calibres/calibre group.

If you want, and can justify of course, a 6.5mm you will need to request that, whereas if you want a .308 you will need to request that.

Alternatively you could request both.

If you can actually get to communicate with someone at your licensing run it past them, probably save you hassle later when they apply their own criteria.

19 minutes ago, Twodogs said:

Basically no, as .308/7.62mm and 6.5mm are different calibres/calibre group.

If you want, and can justify of course, a 6.5mm you will need to request that, whereas if you want a .308 you will need to request that.

Alternatively you could request both.

If you can actually get to communicate with someone at your licensing run it past them, probably save you hassle later when they apply their own criteria.

Okay thanks, my FEO is really easy to get hold of on the phone, so I’ll ask him. 

I'd go with No I deers suggestions. Personally I went with a 7mm SAUM. Easy cartridge to load. Very accurate and will shoot out to a mile easily. I got some nice groups at 1550yards with it. At a mile my speed let me down but I managed to hit the plate eventually. Go with longer barell length to get the speed so you can go ELR if you choose to

The saum will be a bit punchy with a 26 inch barrel.

If you use a muzzle brake would help..

The 26 inch barreled 284 is a bit lively without a mod or a brake..

Much nicer with one or the other on though..

The T3 terminator brake tames it right down.

Something with a nice long slippery high bc bullet pushed fast enough to stay transonic at your longest possible range .

308 for my 26” barrel with 185 Berger s struggles at 1000 but no problem at 700 . 
The new 300 prc or 7 mm 08 could be good. Barrel life can be very low with the 284/ big cases. 
300 win mag with 185 Berger will be good for easy 1200 .

6.5 creed does everything to 1400 

I checked my 284 today to see how the 162gr eldx's zero was.. left to right wind got up..

Off a bipod and bean bag. 

Not bad for 2421 shots.

I might try some seated 3 thousandths longer and see if it tightens up the group..

This load would shoot smaller.

5 shot group at 100yds 20230618_210119.thumb.jpg.5310df62a8ba28b6de2b63b7645f1eb5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Put a variation in for a couple options. 

6.5cm is a great rifle, ive had mine out to 1200 yards easily.

308 you will have no issues out 600 yards even with Nato ammo which makes it a cheap shooter. 

Like mentioned before, If you do put 308, make sure you put 308/7.62 for the option of ammo. 

I chose .308/7.62NATO starting out. My thought was that trigger time would improve my skills more than a .300 Kong ever would. Now that I have been shooting a while, I find I am right. At any significant range bullet drop and drift are very much a huge factor. I started in Palma F Class before it was as formally structured as it is now. I used a .308 or 30-06 because they were economical to load for, and didn't eat barrels. Get the best rig you can afford to shoot a lot. Good luck, and have fun.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Oswegobrit said:

When i applied, I put .22 center fire and 6.5 mm on my application, same application.

FEO never mentioned the 6.5mm so left me open to buy any 6.5mm, but asked me specifically what .22 center fire I wanted, go figure.

i had someone with that on their licence when buying  i asked them to get their feo to confirm a calibre ..

On 6/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, martin_b said:

I had the same dilemma a few years ago.  went for a 6.5 creedmoor, and don't regret my choice, shot it out to 1200 yards at Bisley, however I warn you long range shooting is addictive, i've now also got a 300PRC for 1200Y+ and I really do fancy a 375 Cheytac as well 🙂

Took the 300PRC out to 1500m last week.. Will be doing 1 mile+ with it shortly.