AI AT one gun ?

I’m after some advice, I’ve been thinking about downsizing and I’m thinking all I need is 1 rifle and 1 semi shotgun for wildfowling.

does the AT fit the bill ? 

I currently have a 223,22-250,6BR,243win,6.5cm I like the idea of just one rifle that does it all I’m thinking an AT in 6.5cm with possibly a 243win spare barrel in the future.

feel free to talk me out of it.

We have a member with a 308 amd 6.5 barrels. Doesn't take him long to swap and so far I haven't heard of him having any issues with it. I can drop you hia email if your wish as he works abroad.

GREAT IDEA . Think an AT in 6.5 will do it all . Long range targets and deer etc . Probably wouldn’t bother with the 243 . Keep the 223 for night time foxing.

No problems with removing barrel then putting it back on and no significant zero shift - maybe a click or two just an Allen key and a spanner to fit the flats on the barrel . Hand tighten to put it back in then a nip on the Allen bolt . Mark the barrel and action with a dot of tipex then you’ll have a reference point. Simples!!!!! 
One rifle to rule them all . 

2 hours ago, Soggy biscuit said:

Also to owners of the AT how do you find the quick change barrel, is it something you do often or do you find it’s such a faff re zeroing you stick to one caliber ?

I have an AI AT with three barrels, .308 (fitted when purchased), 6.5 Creedmoor [custom] and 6.5 Creedmoor factory). It is a very quick, simple and easy process to change the barrels which I do dependant on the competition, but I do have a torque wrench (one setting for the correct torque for an AT barrel).  However, you need to have the scope set for one barrel/calibre then log the difference. My rifle is zeroed for the 6.5 Creedmoor custom barrel (26" with muzzle brake), but the 6.5 Creedmoor factory barrel (26" no muzzle brake and is a much thinner barrel) shoots about 10MOA low and 5MOA left at 100 yards. If taking off one barrel and putting the same one back again there is no noticeable change in zero (or minimal at the most).

2 hours ago, Soggy biscuit said:

I’m after some advice, I’ve been thinking about downsizing and I’m thinking all I need is 1 rifle and 1 semi shotgun for wildfowling.

I currently have a 223,22-250,6BR,243win,6.5cm I like the idea of just one rifle that does it all I’m thinking an AT in 6.5cm with possibly a 243win spare barrel in the future.

I love my AT .308 too bits and I will likely be getting a 6.5 barrel for it at some point.

Albeit I do wonder if it might be 'too heavy' for some applications...?

Instead of the at

Consider the ATX 

As versatile as the at and chassis probably better suited to all position use than the AT 

I have one - it’s ace 

Was at the range yesterday and removed barrel “because I could” - put back hand tight and torqued to 49” lbs 

zero was a tenth out at 100 mtrs 

25 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Instead of the at

Consider the ATX 

As versatile as the at and chassis probably better suited to all position use than the AT 

I have one - it’s ace 

Was at the range yesterday and removed barrel “because I could” - put back hand tight and torqued to 49” lbs 

zero was a tenth out at 100 mtrs 

I do like the ATX but I love the old school look of the at with thumb hole skins on it. Maybe if I have a go at PRL and Like it I’ll risk my relationship and buy another AI 😅

I think the ATX is pretty much perfect in terms of adjustability and a panacea for all round use 

the AT ans Ax are a little high in their chassis and whilst I’ve owned and used Aw and Ax extensively for killing deer in intensive culling situations and competitions - they don’t fit me perfectly 

The ATX does - it doesn’t need the bonded chassis and “Chuck out of plane and still shoot “ ruggedness 

I don’t think any civilian really “needs” that 

I’d be happy to put an ATX side by side with any of the other models - I’m sure it would be their equal 

I agree with the principal of one platform with multi cals.

I have a custom Defiance LA tube action and also Impact 737 repeater, both with a clutch of barrels & bolts of various sizes to change to several LA, SA and magnum calibres.

Agree with the post regarding zero for one cal, then note setting and the note difference with other caks. Erik Cortina did a useful video on this a few years ago. Simple enough.

But…you don’t need an AT or AX to do this. Any rifle with properly chambered barrels will suffice. You will still need a barrel vice to spin a barrel off and a torque wrench to get the new barrel on to a consistent value…to maintain zero repeatability. Benchrest shooters have been doing this for donkeys years. You don’t need a ‘quick change’ barrel system…it’s actually not truly quick change if the barrel is torqued down (as it should be) and need removing with a barrel vice. 
I think some people bang on about the quick change system when the reality is it doesn’t add anything in reality imo.

1 hour ago, Soggy biscuit said:

I do like the ATX but I love the old school look of the at with thumb hole skins on it. Maybe if I have a go at PRL and Like it I’ll risk my relationship and buy another AI 😅

Don’t bother with the thumbhole.

My AW long action (.300wm) is terribly uncomfortable. The grip is small in the hand and with the thumbhole, slightly awkward to grip. I once had a manners thumbhole and that was a far more ergonomic design.

I much prefer the MPA competition chassis on my Impact 737…waaay more comfortable than the AI.

Ronin’s point about the ATX probably makes sense given it’s more a vertical grip.

18 hours ago, Soggy biscuit said:

One rifle doesn't do it all in my experience. The main challenge I find is checking zero after changing ammunition or a scope. I don't have easy access to a range for checking zero.

My current approach is - 

260 Rem for stalking roe and any larger deer

6.5 Creedmoor for short range competitions 

308 Win for red deer and practice (two scopes)

All rifles are moderated.

Regards 

JCS 

My do it all rifles are zeroed with a mod on for hunting and I do the adjustments on the range with  muzzle brakes on

A 6.5x47 and a 284..

The 284 is better for the longrange stuff..

23.5 inch barrel on the 6.5x47 so it lack velocity 

I have done stalking with an AI(AW) and a TRG. Fine for a high seat option but dragging them about! (Same with the LMT308) I like chassis rifles, but my go to rifles for stalking are Sauer202(6.5 or 308) or a Tikka CTR in 260. Under 100 yards.Marlin 45/70. 
The Marlin is the easiest to deploy and very safe to carry. If I could only have one it would be the Fix which was on sale here 

I have  stalked Chinese water deer in Norfolk, it’s flat, with my AX. Even with a rucksack sling it was heavy. Like @Ronin positional takes a little more time to get stable as there isn’t the wide base. Although the handguard is closer to the barrel. 

I have had a 20 Tac in an AICS chassis, it soon had a chassis change to a traditional stock. It just wasn’t great off sticks and really high off the wing mirror. 

I’ve also had an AT. As a range rifle I actually loved it. Likes shooting the PRS style comps buts again not good out after deer. Heavy to get onto sticks and once on them heavy to balance when waiting. 

@jcampbellsmithhas a very valid point. Even when making notes on scope turrets and witness marks on the action and barrel checking zero would make a lot of sense. I had a blaser with several barrels and even though the return to zero was bob on every time I had to do it for my own personal sanity. 

I have tried the one rifle route with the Fix rifle by Q. Suffice to say I’m back to 5.  

The saying “beware of the man with one gun, he knows how to use it” is all good and well. If he only uses it for one thing. 

There is certainly something special about the AI action, it feels far better than every custom rifle I’ve handled

@Roninsings the praises of the AT-X, ask him how many rifles he owns 🤣

although I should be encouraging you to sell all your rifles. One calibre I’ve owned a couple of and miss is the 6mmbr, so I’m. Interested to see what it is you might have on offer 🙈

I own a few but shoot two regularly 

ATX 

PGW Coyote

The coyote is the equal of the ATX but does not have the ability to change barrels without a barrel clamp and action wrench 

Im also biased towards the Coyote as it’s unique in that it’s in a PSE e tac 

But the original question wasn’t about anything other than A I rifles 😀

21 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Don’t bother with the thumbhole.

My AW long action (.300wm) is terribly uncomfortable. The grip is small in the hand and with the thumbhole, slightly awkward to grip. I once had a manners thumbhole and that was a far more ergonomic design.

I much prefer the MPA competition chassis on my Impact 737…waaay more comfortable than the AI.

Ronin’s point about the ATX probably makes sense given it’s more a vertical grip.

What's the point of even owning an AI if you don't thumbhole 😝

Going back to the original post though.. what do you use each of those calibres for? You may be better off narrowing your collection down to two rifles instead of one rifle with two barrels..?

Then put them both in AICS Thumbhole chassis for the AI allyness that will undoubtedly make you 100x cooler than other shooters 🤪 

However, Screw logic! Buy an AT.. 

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

I own a few but shoot two regularly 

ATX 

PGW Coyote

The coyote is the equal of the ATX but does not have the ability to change barrels without a barrel clamp and action wrench 

Im also biased towards the Coyote as it’s unique in that it’s in a PSE e tac 

But the original question wasn’t about anything other than A I rifles 😀

You definitely chose to leave some out there 🤣

the question was should the OP sell all his rifles that all clearly have purpose and just have an AI. 

If I could only have one rifle it would be something based on the Tikka T3 action. As I imagine the only reason I would have one rifle is due to being broke. Oh wait I am with so many rifles 🤣🤣🤣

The T3 shoots “adequately” to coin a phrase used regularly by a certain person to honestly do everything and be built as a jack of all trades. Probably in a fast twist 6mm finished at 21.75” from the bolt face. https://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

save hard buy the AI be even happier. 

12 hours ago, JCalleja91 said:

What's the point of even owning an AI if you don't thumbhole 😝

Going back to the original post though.. what do you use each of those calibres for? You may be better off narrowing your collection down to two rifles instead of one rifle with two barrels..?

Then put them both in AICS Thumbhole chassis for the AI allyness that will undoubtedly make you 100x cooler than other shooters 🤪 

However, Screw logic! Buy an AT.. 

Allyness saves lives!!