Running out of Murom primers

Mike C

I'm running out of my trusty Murom KVB-223 primers which I've used solely for my 6.5CM for a while now without any problems at all and they were on the 'hot' side. Obviously I won't be finding any of these again any time soon so,  

Q: has anyone had any experience with PMC standard small rifle primers which I have a good amount of ?

Or do I just swop over to Federal 205M 

pmc primer.jpg

I think there’s quite a few people running out of trusted primers! It might be worth looking for alternatives and unfortunately re doing your load development once you’ve found a alternative buy in bulk if you can 

ive done this buying in bulk but alternative primers will be required!

and load development needed 

nick

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

Q: has anyone had any experience with PMC standard small rifle primers which I have a good amount of ?

PMC SRs are Murom KVB-223 from a generation back. They are very well made and 'mild', but if they have unplated copper colour cups, they are very fragile and prone to 'blanking'.

Depending on your rifle's firing pin and its fit in the bolt-face allied to the load you're using, results will likely either be excellent or unusable. 

Well going off those comments I think I'll save on potential issue's down the line and use Federal 205's  instead, got plenty of em 🙂.    

I shall appoint the PMC's to something less demanding.

Thanks for the comments 👍 

24 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Laurie I remember, we started using them in 6PPC but every time one 'blanked' - pierced - the case was scrap - no way of removing the primer. Annoying with a fire-formed, neck-turned Lapua 220 Russian case.......

Ouch! I'd forgotten that issue!

10 minutes ago, Mike C said:

I shall appoint the PMC's to something less demanding.

I'm using my remaining stocks up in 120/123gn 6.5Grendel handloads for a Howa 1500 'Mini' Oryx rifle. They're ideal for that, likewise 222 Rem and mild 223 Rem loads. 

3 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Ouch! I'd forgotten that issue!

I'm using my remaining stocks up in 120/123gn 6.5Grendel handloads for a Howa 1500 'Mini' Oryx rifle. They're ideal for that, likewise 222 Rem and mild 223 Rem loads. 

I was actually thinking of using them up in a mild .223 load.

Super 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth.

I managed to sneek a day off and go up to the range last Tuesday morning to do a quick test using Federal 205m primers and compare with my archived murom kvb 223 test results from a few years/800 rounds-ish back. 

Rifle is a tikka tac A1 6.5cm, lapua sr brass, N160. Temperature was  around 8C (very mild for the time of year) and very little, if any, wind. Standard harris type bipod and rear bean bag. I did the following tests at 100yrd:

Firstly for safety, a single round going up in 0.5gr increments from my lower node charge weight up to my higher node charge weight to check for signs of pressure. No over pressure signs so on to my mini test.

3x rounds at my usual highest node powder charge: 8.5mm group. 

3x at -0.3gr: 7.5mm group. 

And then:

3x rounds at my 2nd node down: 5mm

3x rounds at +0.3gr: 10mm 

3x rounds at - 0.3gr: 5mm

Comparing the groups with one's done using murom kvb 223 primers some 2 years back it appears the 2nd node down has shifted ever so slightly down in powder charge some 0.2gr if that. The higher node has spread out by around 2mm and again shifted slightly down on powder charge.

So for my rifle, Tikka Tac A1, changing from Murom kvb223 to federal 205m primers will mean reducing my charges down by 0.2gr to stay in the sweet spots. However what I haven't managed to do yet is measure muzzle velocity for consistency and I only did 3 shot groups and not 5 like I should have done but bullets, powder, primers etc are getting bloomin expensive.

Just a heads up,

I received an email today from gardners guns, saying they can get

Murom Large rifle magnum primers 

And fiocchi small rifle  magnum primers 

At £12 per hundred, 

If anyone is interested in any email 

Helen.gardnersguns@gmail.com

Or ring the shop,

2 hours ago, stottycake said:

Just a heads up,

I received an email today from gardners guns, saying they can get

Murom Large rifle magnum primers 

And fiocchi small rifle  magnum primers 

At £12 per hundred, 

If anyone is interested in any email 

Helen.gardnersguns@gmail.com

Or ring the shop,

too far for me 😒

19 hours ago, Kipper said:

I will be passing Gardners on Friday heading to Bisley if its any help 

Thankyou for the offer Kipper but I think I'll be using the Federal 205M that I have plenty of as they appear to work as good....if not a little better.