22 LR Average Group from your gun

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to carefully cycle a few rounds to have a look at the bullets next time I have the gat out; not looked...I'd be surprised if the marking isn't more of a mental than physical issue.. but then, I may be surprised!😂

(Don't lose sight of the fact that fullbore tgt and benchrest rifles are also usually not mag fed... the benefit isn't just about reducing rimfire bullet-marking)

44 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I was surprised how few people replied to this thread seeing the humble 22 rimfire is probaly the most popular calibre 🤔.

Don't be shy 😉

I think a lot of people have tried and have been shocked at there findings  and rather not post there findings as they can’t post there expected 0.3 moa. 😉

9 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

I think a lot of people have tried and have been shocked at there findings  and rather not post there findings as they can’t post there expected 0.3 moa. 😉

I nearly said much the same 😂  doing 'under a thumbnail at 80m off my bonnet' is easier to type than do 😂😊  I'm finding the thread fascinating 👍

17 minutes ago, brown dog said:

I nearly said much the same 😂  doing 'under a thumbnail at 80m off my bonnet' is easier to type than do 😂😊  I'm finding the thread fascinating 👍

Yes me too , I have forgotten just how much I have taken for granted, going back to basics and combining all the the other experience learnt from shooting over the years in general has been humbling at times yet informative .

None of us are as good as we think we are , and there is always something to else to learn . 

im struggling at the moment trying to find time at the min on farm  what with Foxing 3 nights a week  .. horses / stables and generally just flat out can’t wait to get out this weekend with the rimfire . 

having a lot of fun 🤩 

Ammo selection,conditions 

technique and practice helps. I've tried and tried with hollow point subs for 20 odd years and use to have great results with eley hollows until eley change something. Basically match grade ammo just blows the hollow points out of the water. Testing from a bench would be ideal..

It's killing accuracy we need..

We don't wannabe wounding our quarry..

How far we want to shoot makes the difference..

Accuracy out to 100yds with subs would be perfect..

I'm not into HV hollow points..

Tried stingers years ago and they were a pile of poo.

Right I have managed to move a few bits it’s about and have got a free morning so I’m off for another go @ 50 and 100 yards .

I have scrounged some 

Eley match 

RWS rifle match 

RWS HP subs 

winnie subs 

I have also got a single shot adapter, it’s also a lovely morning so pretty much out of excuses for a poor show 😃
oh and of course my shiny new bolt knob 😂👍

37 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Enjoy 😁

Looking forward to seeing the results..

I do a fair bit of range shooting these days and the excuses everybody comes out with can be very amusing and entertaining to say the least 😆🤣.

There will be legitimate excuses like the picattiny rail has come loose or the scope has stopped dialing. In the main very poor excuses 🤩

7 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I do a fair bit of range shooting these days and the excuses everybody comes out with can be very amusing and entertaining to say the least 😆🤣.

There will be legitimate excuses like the picattiny rail has come loose or the scope has stopped dialing. In the main very poor excuses 🤩

I’m the only excuse today mate. Just got out here and it’s perfect. 

1 hour ago, One on top of two said:

oh and of course my shiny new bolt knob

I think we need to see a picture of your shiny new knob 😜

Look forward to seeing the result... I’m off to zero a new 222 later.

Oh remember the targets do duck sometimes, so it not always flyers to worry about. Also I’ve heard mirage’in here in the U.K. is a big problem at 50yrds, that could easily account for a few wandering shots!!!

52 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I’m the only excuse today mate. Just got out here and it’s perfect. 

4 hours ago, No i deer said:

Tried stingers years ago and they were a pile of poo.

Try CCI velocitors  if you ever see a box  - group stunningly well for hv fodder, easily as well as decent subs, and significantly more grunt - you even can feel the difference in recoil.

2 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Sorry I messed up. Had to swap the 50m and 100m around as I suddenly realised as I shot the first 10 rws subs that I’m not going to see the 100m when I move it back E6B61878-11B2-4A14-88DC-CEFD5F27A18B.jpeg.598046f70037745b4ca8b30e578ed079.jpeg

it’s a 14/16 

A good start..

I'd just use them if my rifle shot them that well..

What mag are you using..

Try a group at 100yds for me on 9 magnification and see if you can do better or worse thanks did.. 

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

Try CCI velocitors  if you ever see a box  - group stunningly well for hv fodder, easily as well as decent subs, and significantly more grunt - you even can feel the difference in recoil.

I've used mini mags in the gallery at bisley with a 10/22 but it's all standing,sitting and kneeling type shooting so accuracy isn't great as you could imagine..

I think I used some yellow jackets years ago a mate gave me.. I can't really remember what they were like

30 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I've used mini mags in the gallery at bisley with a 10/22 but it's all standing,sitting and kneeling type shooting so accuracy isn't great as you could imagine..

I think I used some yellow jackets years ago a mate gave me.. I can't really remember what they were like

Velocitors are a different game... don't know why. Clover leaf rather than shotgun patterns. 

4 hours ago, No i deer said:

My bet will be on eley match

As mentioned in my posts before, I have a issue with eley subs going super sonic, so went out with a friend whilst zeroing the 222 and decided put some eley .22 through their cz452 whilst we were out for comparison, 55yrds low wind 5mph, 8deg c with interesting results:

my rifle - cz 457 mtr

test gun - cz 452 - same as you I believe @No i deer

both moderated etc...

all reports from the 452 where quiet and sub sonic.... 457 all loud and super sonic... tested with eley match also and the same acoustics were heard.

so I can only conclude that the match chamber is in-fact producing a higher pressure that a “standard” chamber and causing a increase in velocity. As mentioned before rws subs are absolutely fine, stay subsonic but not quite as good grouping as the eley subs.

eley subs:

as many have said they don’t shoot well in their guns...

cz 452 - dreadful, around 1.4” (could be barrel acclimatising)

cz457 mtr - great: around 0.3”

Eley match:

cz 452 - 0.5” (one flyer not counted benefit of the doubt as barrel acclimatising)

c457 - 0.4” (one pulled low)

Cci subs:

cz452 only - 0.7” but again a lot of swapping ammo around maybe not fair...

From this is can say that there is a significant different in the eley subs between the 452 & 457... which could be down to chambering....

But the match seem to perform well in both. 

93E6A20A-4283-4162-A16B-2F88B5986C9F.jpeg

81C2DF6A-92F7-4ACE-8B5B-7E041CE5BA02.jpeg

E043C28E-E134-4E72-99AA-FD2D8BEBCBEF.jpeg

E755F08F-1CE3-4C12-9E01-9EA84587DCF3.jpeg

98E93D75-3A55-409A-91F4-C06CCF1C32AF.jpeg

3907AF90-5641-434A-B872-3AE101B7DCA9.jpeg

23E6CEE4-36C8-4983-AC2D-4CE5D72A6ADF.jpeg