22 LR Average Group from your gun

It’s really strange, it is significantly different that your readings - nearly 100fps! I was shooting are near 0deg temp. So wonder if that’s having a effect.

When I spoke with eley they also said it could be barrel length as all tests are completed in 26” barrels and mines a 20” - I do find it strange, who has a 26” rifle for vermin?

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer to no i deer 

only got some cci subs but haven’t tried them yet . I’ll pull one this afternoon and weigh it .

one on top of two 

great set of results and thanks for the pictures. My anschutz prefers the rws  subs but they are hard to find , Winchester subs usually give a tight group but tend to have a vertical spread from the 16” barrel . I’ve stuck with eley as they’re easy to get and they do mushroom very well .

below photos of weight of CCI subs claimed to be 40 grains and 1050 FPS.

Mushroom effect of eley subs now weighing 36.34 grains from 37.1 so called 40 grainers .

image.jpg

image.jpg

I can go and weigh some RWS subs , I have 1300 of them , will pic 3 and put them on my A+D 

give me 10 mins 

rick , agreed mate does seem very odd , I don’t think the speeds we’re talking would be affected much @ zero degrees maybe account for 10-15 FPS  .. who’s knows .

There was a big ammo test a few years back in sporting rifle and on YouTube s shooting show tv by one of the pace brothers. Group size and expansion were tested & eley came tops . Just measured depth of the hollow point ,

eley 6mm and 11.9 mm long

cci 4.5 mm and 12.78 mm long

so eley are short with a big hole up the middle hence they are lighter?????

image.jpg

Right sorry for the delay , the misus walked in with 2 fried egg rolls that where in need of humane dispatch. 

right 3 RWS subs ( out of same box ) didn’t really see the point of taking more random as although I have 3 bricks there all the same batch number . 
i weighed 

bullet 

powder 

case ... not exact science but give a rough estimate of primer paste . 

5 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Great photos, think it’s time to retry the rws a true 40 grainer . Hope you enjoyed the sarnies , top marks to wifey . 
Cheers 

I have to admit they were spectacular 👍

I like the RWS , my rifle loves them  . 
like many others I was 100 % Eley subs ( 40 grain) wouldn’t even bother look8ng at anything else , they were the business in every rimmy I ever owned . And then then Eley go and bugger it up . 

I also you the RWS R 100  for close range foxes in my horse paddocks . 
which is why I opted for the wildcat Panther mod on my anni ( .22 hornet rated ) which quietens them down to a very reasonable level and being a 100 m biathlon round they are very accurate, just a shame there around the £24 /100  but one box does me for the year . 

Rechecked the Annie barrel only 14” and use the ASE UTRA steel mod  . The rws according to reviews are about 970 FPS so slower than others and have a bit stickier wax on them from looking back in my notebook. Used to get bored at the range shooting small holes in the target so started shooting out the scoring numbers . Last set of rws was from gilsans at Richmond North Yorkshire. Think a trip is in order when allowed . 
Great thread lots of information.

Thanks to all for some good work and photos .

Been out again..

Not as cold but wet and still blowy.

I didn't wanna lay down long to soak the wet so had a quick go with RWS match and I shot this.. 

I made a 1 click adjustments from yesterday's testing as the groups were just a tad right.

It was worth getting damp for 😁

20210214_172218.jpg

I get approx 1.5 MOA from my old cz 452 - off bench 

That is consistent out to 150m

Am about to order a Vudoo v22  - 22" barrel with a MDT Chassis 

This is to be a trainer on a PRL type course I have set up on my farm using 2" and 3" targets out to 200m (which is all I can stretch to)

I hope to play in the PRL next (or this year) using a 6.5 creed that I'm hoping the MDT chassis will fit

3 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Been out again..

Not as cold but wet and still blowy.

I didn't wanna lay down long to soak the wet so had a quick go with RWS match and I shot this.. 

I made a 1 click adjustments from yesterday's testing as the groups were just a tad right.

It was worth getting damp for 😁

20210214_172218.jpg

50 m ? 

4 minutes ago, bowji john said:

I get approx 1.5 MOA from my old cz 452 - off bench 

That is consistent out to 150m

Am about to order a Vudoo v22  - 22" barrel with a MDT Chassis 

This is to be a trainer on a PRL type course I have set up on my farm using 2" and 3" targets out to 200m (which is all I can stretch to)

I hope to play in the PRL next (or this year) using a 6.5 creed that I'm hoping the MDT chassis will fit

What ammo ? 

11 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

What ammo ? 

For the CZ 452 I use 40 grain win and Geco 40 grain semi-auto

It seem to like both

Having now invested in a kestral and 'applied ballistics' I will now check MV(and ES)  for both and concern myself with trans 'speed of sound' issues

All good fun - learning all the time

9 minutes ago, bowji john said:

It seem to like both

Having now invested in a kestral and 'applied ballistics' I will now check MV(and ES)  for both and concern myself with trans 'speed of sound' issues

Good luck 👍

32 minutes ago, bowji john said:

It seem to like both

I use a kestrel elite but sometimes transfer/ link it on to my foretrex applied ballistics , I do like playing rimfire on a sunny afternoon 👍

959D5F26-9905-48EB-BCDB-B4FE8DD972A2.jpeg