Which seater die to get?

Tubs

I'm looking at getting a new seater die for my 223 ,my options are the Forster Ultra micrometer seater die, Rcbs competition seater die, or the Redding competition seater die has anyone got any info on which is maybe better and why and i'm assuming they will all fit my Rcbs rockchucker press,also hoping this will still work with my Rcbs FL sizing die.

The only criticism that I have of the Forster is that the markings on the micrometer are a lot less clear than the Redding......unless they have improved same on newer models.

The only criticism that I have of the Forster is that the markings on the micrometer are a lot less clear than the Redding......unless they have improved same on newer models.

Mine are really clear. Nice and positive adjustment too.

I seem to remember that the RCBS bullet seater can be damaged/broken by compressed loads. I own both Forster and Redding comp mic in 308 gauge. Forster has larger dia micrometer head with easy to read/adjust scale. Redding is smaller dia but still fine. The redding seater looks much stronger/better made than the Forster one. However they both seat the same accuracy. The Reddings I have in a 3 die set and hence I want to sell the Forster. But its 308! :mad:

I have RCBS mic die and I'm not that impressed with it I bought it secondhand and didint pay top wack for it,

The markings are very hard to read I have had to apply chalk to mine and even then you still need a good light to see properly and I'm not sure if any different to others but adjustment is quite loose and easily moved by accident all I will say is it will do for now but I will trade it in at some point.

Used both Redding and Forster. Redding seemed to be 'better' made whatever that means. Did not see any difference in seating performance.

That's great thanks think i'm going to go for the redding competition seater die as it sounds better quality,time to see who has it and prices .

For such expensive dies it might be better if at all possible for you to a hold both makes and do a side/side comparison - better still if you can test them for yourself?.. I've had the opportunity to use both and for what it's worth I preferred Forster and the one I used had clear black/white adjustment markings. Both makes are precise in adjustment

A heads-up - I found both makes of these dies can take some getting acquainted....If whichever you purchase doesn't work as you you expect it to, be patient and practice. Occasionally the seating stem has to 'find its own center'' inside of the die body and, your downstroke/seating pressure must be consistent for every round. If you are inconsistent with pressure it's easy to get a variation in seating depth - consistency is key as in most things reloading

ATB

Yep I use a Wilson die with the micrometer for my 6.5x47.

It's lush...you can 'feel' every step of the bullet seating in the case. Hard to describe but I can totally understand when I might be loosing neck tension and need to break out the annealer.

However, my future build I'll get a set of custom dies from either Neil Jones or Whiddon (seating and full length sizes with neck bushing). I'll do that so I can use my rockchucker press for all sizing and seating, rather than needing two presses I have now (rockchucker for FL sizing, Wilson dies/arbour press for neck sizing and seating).

Problem with arbour press / Wilson die combo is that you can't FL size. You're gonna have to at some point, so factor in buying a normal press and FL die too.

I seen one a few years ago and thought the same but my mate bought one recently and the markings were a lot clearer. I use redding but I'd be happy with the forster as well.

Archived