Rifles Only - great vid

brown dog

I would really like to do a similar style shoot in the late spring, along the lines of:

Friday - Book in & 100 yard zero + familiarisation with layout / obstacles.

Saturday - Shoot 8.30-18.00, targets 25 - 1,000 yds

Sunday - Shoot 8.30 - 16.00. targets 25 - 650 yds

Having done some quick calculations (by no means definitive), realistically the entry 'donation' would have to be around £200-£225 per shooter. This would cover a zeroing afternoon, 2 full days of very dynamic shooting + Fri & Sat night bunkhouse accommodation. I would need a minimum of 16 people (max 20) for it to work.

Amazing, just what I was thinking, would need to be in the early summer probably to ensure enough decent light for the long day shoot on the Saturday and have a better chance of inclement weather not impacting on things.

I'm in

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, thanks for all the interest and offers of help :) I never thought it would snowball quite like this - a surprise, be it a pleasant one! (& Sorry BD, sort of slightly derailed the thread...)

I need to do some serious prep. work to see how this would pan out...

Edit: Provisionally Friday 25th to Sunday 27th April would be workable dates at the Roundhouse location - one week after Easter. With sunrise before 6am and Sunset after 8pm, there would be plenty of shooting light. I will need to sort out a few things in the next week or so, before this date could be confirmed.

More than willing to help out and shoot. Its about time the uk started having decent events....

I think tiff should cover the costs including ammo! ;-) as I can see him and pcal abseiling and running from stage to stage during the night to get the practice in... ;-)

What a fantastic prospect and where better than Tiffs Roundhouse to host it!

Now, for this to work it will require a serious commitment (financial?) from a lot of shooters, and well in advance of the event.

To date, attendance at previous RRC events has been poor given what is on offer, with Tiff barely covering costs on several occasions. This seems insane to me as the Roundhouse is, without doubt, one of the top shooting locations in the country and the previous shoots represent excellent value for money.

Also be aware that there is a colossal amount of work for all involved and be doubly aware that Tiff will still end up doing 95% of it.

It's a great idea and I'm not wanting to put a damper on it but we need to be realistic. An early confirmed head count will reflect the extent of the event so commit to this ASAP to make it happen.

Rup

Wow, thanks for all the interest and offers of help :) I never thought it would snowball quite like this - a surprise, be it a pleasant one! (& Sorry BD, sort of slightly derailed the thread...)

I need to do some serious prep. work to see how this would pan out...

Edit: Provisionally Friday 25th to Sunday 27th April would be workable dates at the Roundhouse location - one week after Easter. With sunrise before 6am and Sunset after 8pm, there would be plenty of shooting light. I will need to sort out a few things in the next week or so, before this date could be confirmed.

K.I.S.S

The design doesn't need to get bigger than Ben Hur.

Same old same old targets; just re-arranged and re-sited; with clever challenges to taking them on.

Arranged as a round robin. Movement in syndicates

Stages all clearly briefed to all on an opening walk around (or morning and lunch or whenever appropriate walkarounds).

All instructions and rules on syndicate clip boards.

Syndicate self-scoring and ROing a la clay comps.

K.I.S.S !

I suspect one full day's competition would be ample.

Yes KISS. The ranges do not have to be extreme, more about trying to hit a target against time or physical stress. Like BD I think a good day long comp would be enough to start with. Diary permitting, count me in.

I think the idea here is to ramp things up a bit. As previously stated, tiff already has a pretty decent setup and is looking for ways to improve it and attract enough interest to make all his effort worthwhile.

The location is very remote for the vast majority of Uk shooters. All the more reason to offer something very special and over several days.

I think Tiff would appreciate input from as many people as possible so he can asses the demand.

Yes KISS. The ranges do not have to be extreme, more about trying to hit a target against time or physical stress. Like BD I think a good day long comp would be enough to start with. Diary permitting, count me in.

To those that have shot in the US matches - (Terry - others??) - what method of scoring do they use? Assume its some kind of modified Vickers Count (time to complete stage with additional time added per miss/penalty - fastest o/all wins)?

This is based on the fact that vid's I have seen seem to show 1 shooter completing each stage at a time (i.e. like a practical pistol match for those of us that remember them).

As accommodation, albeit basic, is available on site an event over a weekend should not be too much of an issue. One problem that springs to mind is anything at ranges longer than approximately 650/675 has the potential to limit movement around the site, which would limit having several stages available to be shot at the same time by different groups, but that would be for Tiff to work out.

As Rup has suggested, I've held a fair few shoots this year (RRC, BDS, & private bookings) and I'm really looking to make something special. This shoot will probably be the last shoot till at least this time next year, due to personal commitments and other bookings on the location - so would be looking to finish on a great shoot similar to the CZ / US ones. Something that could become a weekend long annual event, since realistically the single shooting days (2 days set-up/take down either side...) I currently hold are very very borderline effort/reward wise and only possible since I'm effectively on another gap year with few commitments...

For numerous reasons syndicate type movement is not possible (insurance & the sporting lease etc.), but two groups would almost certainly be run simultaneously, in a similar way to certain stages on the last shoot. Fitting the shooting in a single day is hard enough, without all the 'fun' little elements like in the video. It would be possible to do it in a day, with little down time and lots & lots of rapid movement against the clock both on & off the FP's to fit it all in.

Keeping the distance mostly to sub 650 yards, would make my life a LOT easier (those that know the location would understand why) + open it up to 'field classed' .223 AR15's etc. Also I could utilise the natural terrain and put out more 100-350 targets. Equally however I have the space to work with, so to me it seems strange to not including a couple 700-1,000 yard stages?

I'd really appreciate feedback on this.

Cheers,

Tiff

I would be interested, please put me on any list you're keeping of possibles.

Mostly sub 650 would be fine by me but a couple of longer shots would be good too.

Keepin' it real, bearing in mind I have a young family, I'm not sure I can commit to a 3 day shoot, that would not be a conversation I would look forward to with the wife! Friday evening zero session (if necessary) and a day of shooting Saturday is about the limit of what I could get away with. Could there be an option along this timescale?

Let's leave it to Tiff, this idea is beginning to suffer from 'too many cocks in the custard' and I'm not suggesting that anyone is a 'cock' before you all start.

This.

We've seen it all before and ideas by committee are generally bad ideas, especial when they're created via internet forum.

I'm sure this Tiff lad will do a sterling job

I've had lots of great ideas via pm's (which is very useful & always welcome) and agree the idea has probably reached its apex on the open forum.

I'll start a new thread in due course...

Cheers guys,

Tiff

Archived