Rifles Only - great vid

brown dog

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent vid.

I se a lot of parallels between their competitiveness and friendly, welcoming approach to what we do.

Shooters are shooters and I like the advice given towards the end about first timers taking part

Looks awesome. Sadly it's another yank "World Series" no non-US citizen is going to be able to realistically compete. I wonder if there are any European equivalents?

No, it's another shooting competition organised by people who happen to live in America, no mention of any "World Series"

As for a European equivalent, I don't think so.

But if you feel inclined to start organising one then go right ahead

I'm sure plenty would be interested

Gents,

The US shoots are very friendly and quite in the capbilities of anyone with basic shooting skills and a rifle that they know the drops for (handguns if required can be arranged :ph34r: ). You would not need to enter the PRS series per se, there are other comps e.g. Bushnell Brawl, that stand alone as a comp, couple of days shooting with a 3-4 day train up preceeding the comp shot at the same location. From memory they are designed that a 308 can complete to allow LEO's etc. to turn up with thier issue kit.

The comps are friendly and contain all sorts of shooters - who have one thing in common, just wanting to shoot and have a good (safe!) time.

Doing one in the UK?? Possible on a smaller scale, Tiff's place comes to mind as the likes of WMS do not have a commercial model that works for me.

Organising is always the problem, if you organise you do not get to shoot unless there are a couple of organisers and you have some non shooting helpers RO's etc. I'm happy to help anyone to a degree but my company's sphere of work makes me 'unrealiable' for full time commitment.

If anyone wants more thoughts or information on the logisitcs of shooting a US comp please pm.

Terry

I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet (will do later tonight). It would be possible in late spring (April) to host a similar style (be it much smaller scale) event to the Brawl, Grind, PRS series etc. I'm working towards having a steel safria set-up for simulated stalking and varminting, so this could be tweaked to work.

The main issue I can foresee, would be a high enough number of shooters and helpers. It would be possible to have a great event, but all the numbers would have to make sense to warrant hosting it and all the work that entails.

I'll comment further later tonight/tomorrow.

Great Vid. The RRC Location would provide a good venue for this kind of shooting, the problem is getting enough shooters to actually shoot the challenge. Still, plenty of inspiration for next year!

Great Vid. The RRC Location would provide a good venue for this kind of shooting, the problem is getting enough shooters to actually shoot the challenge. Still, plenty of inspiration for next year!

I weep when people don't actually want a challenge.

We could certainly dig out enough shooters on here who would be prepared to get muddy knees, a little bit out of breath and wholly outside their comfort zone; after all - what's the point of a 'challenge' if it isn't 'challenging' ?!

Very happy to help with ideas.

I would be willing to help set up an event like this, I dare say that Tiff would be happy to run one, providing that we can get enough people to enter. It would likely be an expensive competition because of the amount of time and materials required to put a competition like this on, but definitely worth investigating it's potential further.

Having just watched the video, it certainly did look great fun and Rifles Only have a brilliant facility. I especially noticed the dry conditions (+lack of sheep sh*t) & flat terrain...Plus the large number of entrants & people running the shoot!

I would really like to do a similar style shoot in the late spring, along the lines of:

Friday - Book in & 100 yard zero + familiarisation with layout / obstacles.

Saturday - Shoot 8.30-18.00, targets 25 - 1,000 yds

Sunday - Shoot 8.30 - 16.00. targets 25 - 650 yds

In reality it is possible, but would cost a fair bit to set-up and host properly to similar standards (abseiling, moving targets etc etc,) - then again @ $300 + accommodation (& plane ticket...) the Gap Grind & others of this standard are not 'cheap' to enter!

Having done some quick calculations (by no means definitive), realistically the entry 'donation' would have to be around £200-£225 per shooter. This would cover a zeroing afternoon, 2 full days of very dynamic shooting + Fri & Sat night bunkhouse accommodation. I would need a minimum of 16 people (max 20) for it to work.

Does that sound any good?

Cheers,

Tiff

I better not be offshore!

Sounds excellent and if you need a hand setting up for a few days not a problem.

Archived