Your best piece of single advice to improve your shooting

So I have been thinking recently about when I shoot at longer ranges:

• I've a half decent gun with accompanying load
  • I've a set of accurate data to work from (cards if you please)
  • My technique Isn't the best but is consistent
  • Ive a couple of gadgets to tell me how far and how hard the wind is blowing

I think out of all of these the time I have spent shooting at longer distances has helped me to begin to understand how to read the wind a little. The best single piece of advice that was given to me was to imagine the wind like water flowing over the terrain you see in front of you. This clearly works as Ronin won the Egg shoot recently.

What do other people think, what's you best piece of single advice to improve your shooting at distance (distance being purposefully vague as its all relative).

Any thoughts?

Relax, a lot of people get very worked up before a shot and the tension shows in the results. And shoot as often as you can, and in all conditions, everyone can perform well at the range on a windless day, but try the same shot with a swirling winds and drizzle in your face, practice makes perfect

If you know that your rifle is a good one, then try and learn to read the wind. I believe that is the biggest influence on a bullet at say 1000yds. The rest (good bench/prone technique, trigger release, consistent hold on rifle etc etc) is detail and important though it is, I think that missing a wind condition is the largest factor in not getting good accuracy/shot placement at longer distances.

I have seen some very well known shooters at Diggle (my home range) who can achieve superb results in a competition at 600 to1000yds and sometimes even they can miss a condition and get blown out to spoil a score or group. In the words of Shakespeare - "Sh*t happens"

Enjoy the shooting and do not get wound up about stuff as remember, it is ONLY a hole in a bit of paper and it is not life or death!

If you know that your rifle is a good one, then try and learn to read the wind. I believe that is the biggest influence on a bullet at say 1000yds. The rest (good bench/prone technique, trigger release, consistent hold on rifle etc etc) is detail and important though it is, I think that missing a wind condition is the largest factor in not getting good accuracy/shot placement at longer distances.

I have seen some very well known shooters at Diggle (my home range) who can achieve superb results in a competition at 600 to1000yds and sometimes even they can miss a condition and get blown out to spoil a score or group. In the words of Shakespeare - "Sh*t happens"

Enjoy the shooting and do not get wound up about stuff as remember, it is ONLY a hole in a bit of paper and it is not life or death!

Agreed!

I tried not to worry about a hole in the paper,

but it was a bit more difficult to be completely indifferent to all the other holes scattered miscellaneously about on the target!

Gbal

get out there as much as you can as said, above all enjoy what your doing and the rest will come in time ,also take a note pad and pen so you dont forget your adjustments you make ,i can never remember anything not even the pen and paper always get left in the car

So I have been thinking recently about when I shoot at longer ranges:

• I've a half decent gun with accompanying load
  • I've a set of accurate data to work from (cards if you please)
  • My technique Isn't the best but is consistent
  • Ive a couple of gadgets to tell me how far and how hard the wind is blowing

I think out of all of these the time I have spent shooting at longer distances has helped me to begin to understand how to read the wind a little. The best single piece of advice that was given to me was to imagine the wind like water flowing over the terrain you see in front of you. This clearly works as Ronin won the Egg shoot recently.

What do other people think, what's you best piece of single advice to improve your shooting at distance (distance being purposefully vague as its all relative).

Any thoughts?

A third of the shooters missed the groundhog completely at 500 yards in the Egg Shoot - including Ronin - despite comfortably winning the 100 and 300 yard stages! (No disrespect Andy - you shot great).

Long range shooting is all about the WIND - pure and simple! Without sighters, most of us are rubbish!

Is it possible to 'read' the wind? Some target shooters can, with wind flags. Some seem to have a natural instinct - like Simon Austin who finished second and had the top 500 yard score. Simon is a 'field' shooter rather than a target shooter and the Egg Shoot plays to his skills.

Dry fire...as much and as often as you can

Best wishes

Finman

A third of the shooters missed the groundhog completely at 500 yards in the Egg Shoot - including Ronin - despite comfortably winning the 100 and 300 yard stages! (No disrespect Andy - you shot great).

Long range shooting is all about the WIND - pure and simple! Without sighters, most of us are rubbish!

Is it possible to 'read' the wind? Some target shooters can, with wind flags. Some seem to have a natural instinct - like Simon Austin who finished second and had the top 500 yard score. Simon is a 'field' shooter rather than a target shooter and the Egg Shoot plays to his skills.

Just out of interest how big was the 500 yard ground hog target?

Learn to read the Wind

Study the flags when your not shooting looking for changes in angles and velocity drop offs and pick ups and what it does to others while shooting then when you get down you got a good idea what's going on

Learn to reload and score without taking your eyes of flags during your time on the ground

Just out of interest how big was the 500 yard ground hog target?

This is my own target from mondays shoot

I got the wind and elevation slightly out at 500 (upper right hand group)

Its tiny target at 500.....the group is just over 2" :D , but a miss is a miss is a miss.....

DSCN3687_zps78256101.jpg

DSCN3686_zps1a3d81c0.jpg

Practice, practice, practice. In the field, on the range, at home at night. Also, when its all heading South walk away and do something else for a while to clear the head. Confidence is so important in this game and a bad run can really dent it and introduce self doubt.

Compete with the best and watch what they do. Then go away and practice. Regards JCS

...and remember that money can buy top gear,which you may deserve someday,but skill can' t be bought...

Gbal

Archived