Your best piece of single advice to improve your shooting

Yup, recognise that shooting from the CZ comp.

:P:lol:

Well done on the win by the way :)

on Andys card[i didnt know who the shooter was as everyone has a number]- i marked the first group at 100 and thought -we are on to something here his second group[300yds] his first shot hit dead middle -then 2nd shot went right 3rd left something was playing tricks out there-wind as or his 500yd i think he misjudged his elevation still very good shooting even without scoring at 500 he still won the comp[score] on the day there was some very good shooting. roll on next year

The barrel on the rifle I was using still has less than 200 rounds through it and although shooting very well, I think its still speeding up and has done since I last chronographed the load about 130 rounds ago.

The 100 yard group was dead on, the 300 yard setting is slightly high and although i'd like to say I took a risk and went for the dogs head target area (at 500) , I didnt and went for the body again, my elevation setting was way off, by about 1.5 MAO (sorry BD, I work in MOA with this F Class rifle)

I also estimated the wind at 1 MOA Right correction and didnt notice the drop off and slight deflection.

Strange re the elevation though as I last shot the gun at Blair a weeks or so ago and my 1000 yd zero was dead on..

Best advice I have is like Gandy said, imagine the wind as water flowing over the topography of the land.

Although this theory is redundant at Blair Athol.....the wind does what the hell it likes there regardless of the laws of nature :D

Get away from the standard range, it is a comfort zone for most blokes! The wind is predicable that why most of them can hit targets on a regular basis at say 1000yds. There are very little features at most ranges that effect the path of the wind, and remember you need to look at all the features to the target and account for them, the best we can do is build an average picture at the muzzle, midrange, and at the target. If you want a good book to read try Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz (bullet technician for Berger Bullets) my knowledge base has improved so much since digesting that information.

Regards

Carl.

Best advice I have is like Gandy said, imagine the wind as water flowing over the topography of the land.

I'd go along with that. Don't overlook where the 'water' is forced to flow up or down. Treat the up or down just as you would for a horizontal wind, but apply it to your elevation.

Relating to that: convert all winds to 90 degree equivalent wind. You can't meaningfuly compare a 7mph from 4 oclock with a 9mph at 5.30. Turn both into 90 degree equivalent winds and you can make sense of it. (ie break the lateral or cross-wind vector out of all winds; and only consider the lateral component)

Some explanation of what I'm on about here, scroll down to Calculation of Crosswind Component and the vector diagram to visualise it http://www.caa.govt.nz/fig/circuit-training/crosswind-circuit.html the formula bit explains how to do it in your head

Get away from the standard range, it is a comfort zone for most blokes! The wind is predicable that why most of them can hit targets on a regular basis at say 1000yds. There are very little features at most ranges that effect the path of the wind, and remember you need to look at all the features to the target and account for them, the best we can do is build an average picture at the muzzle, midrange, and at the target. If you want a good book to read try Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz (bullet technician for Berger Bullets) my knowledge base has improved so much since digesting that information.

Regards

Carl.

Although I no longer shoot on ranges at all and fully get your point- Diggle is a bit different due to its changing topography and use of different firing points, its been a good few years since I shot there but even the old hands struggle to get on at 1000 yds if conditions aint too great. Any range were you only need to consider the lateral drift is not going to finish the education of a long range rifleman, difficult as it might be at times

on Andys card[i didnt know who the shooter was as everyone has a number]- i marked the first group at 100 and thought -we are on to something here his second group[300yds] his first shot hit dead middle -then 2nd shot went right 3rd left something was playing tricks out there-wind as or his 500yd i think he misjudged his elevation still very good shooting even without scoring at 500 he still won the comp[score] on the day there was some very good shooting. roll on next year

Heres mine

409E694E-E1DB-44FE-9650-35B8B12E2D96-184

I was shooting next to andy, gutted my first shot at 100 was a flyer, i put that down to shot rifle being left in slip for 36hrs before egg shoot, normally comes out bang on if ive dried mod off barrel, the shot marked low at 500 was actually someone elses shot at 300.

Tip given to me before the shoot was dont try and just crack on!

Got the wind wrong at 500 but put my shot at the egg directly above it.

Not bad for a .308!

Hi Andy

I just try to keep doing what I do as consistant as I can!

hold/trigger pull/breathing ect

if I feel like ive done that ive normally shot alright!

as for wind it always seems like a dice roll! :angry::wacko:

well done on the win Andy(ronin) good job :lol:

cheers Andy

here is mine ,my 100 let me down or should i say i let my rifle down.at 100 my holes are allways touching but on the day they gave me the worst group at 100 i have had.this may well have been caused by me shooting on 50x mag :D at 100 and the boil moving the target if not the something very weird with ammo.i was happy with my three but fluffed my wind call at 5.my drift was about 0 - 18" with my .223 at 500.i live and learn.

003.jpg

Interesting how far off our shot placement is despite being "experienced" field and target shooters.....

Makes me wonder about these chaps who post pieces on first round hits at distance.........

Interesting how far off our shot placement is despite being "experienced" field and target shooters.....

Makes me wonder about these chaps who post pieces on first round hits at distance.........

A 700y magpie is easy on youtube!

Practice in a style that you intend to shoot. Shot at 300m at Diggle today. First time in over 20 years I have shot past 100m.

Oh and never go to Diggle without full waterproofs ! Pissed it down all day !

truth is they never post instances of their 1st round misses it took to get the first round hit :lol: The real test of a proper field shooter is to do with knowing their limitations on each shot. Be they limited via stance, weather or quarry - real woodchucks bob about a bit, a lot can happen when bullet is in flight!

well i think the chap is on here so he may chirp in soon .maggys don't tend to let you have a second shot.

out of all the corvids they are the thickest! I have often shot more than one from a bunch, rare you can ever do that with crows

out of all the corvids they are the thickest! I have often shot more than one from a bunch, rare you can ever do that with crows

agreed if you shoot one the rest tend to stick around but if you shoot at one and miss they tend not to stick around.

agreed if you shoot one the rest tend to stick around but if you shoot at one and miss they tend not to stick around.

So the trick is............... they really are over rated via group association.

• 1 month later...

Watch the grass in front of the muzzle. The wind has the

biggest influence just after the bullet leaves the muzzle. When the blades of grass in front of you are still is the time to let the shot off.

Well,as distance increases,it may well be more important to keep an eye on what the wind is doing between the muzzle and target-it can vary quite a bit,and even be in different directions.

By all means check at muzzle-I use a `Kestrel',but what happens thereafter is usually different,and causes more drift

,as firing points are seldom the most exposed to the wind.

Gbal

Archived