As it says in the title, I'm in the market for a mat.

What do you guys use / recommend?? I have a reasonable budget and would prefer olive green but open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Ian,

Click on the TAB Gear pic/link on the UKV front page. The TAB mat is spot-on for portability and packability.

Tony Burkes (the TAB owner) is PMable here; he's on the board as tburkes.

Without hesitation Orka, the AIM mat. Its a 3 fold design in its own bag, the front third is rubberised, the underneath is waterproof without any stitching running right through to wick moisture, and it has two clear pockets with velcro on the top for range cards......and its under a ton. Not seen anything better.

Orka,

Depends what you want from it? If it's for range use and does not need to be portable than the nice padded verierty is the way to go, comfy and warm. I've also seen folks use truch bed liner mats which are perforated, this come inot play when it's pissing down, you do not end up in a pool of water.

If you want portable then the TAB one Matt recomended is the best. Rolls up small (about the size od a Nalgene water bottle) and has padding under elbows. If your are plannig on travelling of doing any shooting where you move from stage to stage than this also has to factor in your choise, If you're only shooting square on ranges and moving once a day then the traditional mat has everything you need.

Tony will also do custom mats so if you want to add more padding to keep warm (like Matt :lol: ) then you can.

Brgds

Terry

I use an Arktis for comfort but it is invariably left at home in favour of an old army sleeping mat, it is quite narrow and has individual sections that allow it to concertina very compactly. It fits snugly with the rifle inside an equally old L96A1 drag bag which means I can keep clutter to a minimum.

Wish I knew where to find another one of theses mats.

The AIM mat was designed by shooters after looking at lots of similar mats. It's a bit wider, not too padded (you don't want a bouncy mat with an F Class back-bag) waterproof underside plus a couple of useful pockets. Folds up nice and compact in its own bag with strap so easy to carry. Not seen a better one - if I do, I'll buy it.

Vince

• 2 years later...

Archived