PRS at Bisley by C2 Precision

JCalleja91

For anyone who is interested specifically in PRS shooting or those who may already regularly shoot at Bisley that weren't aware... PRS has landed at Bisley.

The first training session took place yesterday hosted by Josh of C2 Precision and it was fantastic. Josh with the assistance of some seasoned shooters got me up to speed in no time at all and despite it being a training/familiarisation type day, there was still plenty of trigger time.

There is another training day penned for January with a full match scheduled for February.

If anyone is interested drop Josh an email on sales@c2precision.co.uk

20221213_090154.thumb.jpg.ab81227f8deec7a7ea128d2fa650f27e.jpgScreenshot_20221214_185339_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8cabb330329515250c226e0773c7be28.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

Interesting. What did this cost for the day?

I asked the same question as I was interested. 

The training was £100, but you also have to join the C2 Precision club, which is £50. This then allows you to register for the Feb comp, which is going to be around £110.

So to shoot in Feb, it needs £260 plus ammo, travel etc

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to try it, I am not sure I can justify the cost.

5 hours ago, Roy W said:

The training was £100, but you also have to join the C2 Precision club, which is £50. This then allows you to register for the Feb comp, which is going to be around £110.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to try it, I am not sure I can justify the cost.

Does not really need to be that expensive. The organisers have a notion that PRS is so different to any other positional shooting discipline that additional training is required to allow people to compete at Bisley and that it’s an NRA requirement when the current SCC scheme is based on firearm type and on discipline. However, the organisers have the right to set their own preconditions so if that’s what they require then you either comply or don’t take part. 

5 hours ago, Roy W said:

Yes, i was also interested, as it is at Bisley.

But dont think i wont to pay a joining fee, just to see if i like it.

And from what i have been told by the NRA this is still all a trial, so if the NRA say no at some point, Then what?

2 hours ago, John MH said:

Does not really need to be that expensive. The organisers have a notion that PRS is so different to any other positional shooting discipline that additional training is required to allow people to compete at Bisley and that it’s an NRA requirement when the current SCC scheme is based on firearm type and on discipline. However, the organisers have the right to set their own preconditions so if that’s what they require then you either comply or don’t take part. 

So my understanding is the training requirement was made by the NRA as they did not feel any discipline under the current SCC would automatically deem somebody safe with PRS.

After the trial period this year I think the aim is that it will become as discipline that you can have on an SCC.

2 hours ago, English Rifleman said:

Yes, i was also interested, as it is at Bisley.

But dont think i wont to pay a joining fee, just to see if i like it.

And from what i have been told by the NRA this is still all a trial, so if the NRA say no at some point, Then what?

Again I think the necessity to join C2 is due to the fact its not being officially run by the NRA.

If it's not adopted by the NRA it will continue to be run by PRS UK and GBPRA amongst other Rifle Clubs across the country no different to how it is now.

4 minutes ago, JCalleja91 said:

After the trial period this year I think the aim is that it will become as discipline that you can have on an SCC.

SCCs do not have disciplines on them only Firearm Types, PRS is no different to any other positional shooting Discipline such as CSR that shoot off 'props' and in various positions, or Mini Rifle that also use props. 

46 minutes ago, JCalleja91 said:

If it's not adopted by the NRA it will continue to be run by PRS UK and GBPRA amongst other Rifle Clubs across the country no different to how it is now.

Hi JC

Yes i think this is where my issue is.

As everyone knows the NRA can pull the plug Anytime they wish.

The current PRS events are way outside my shooting budget, so the Joining fee my be just wasted.

If there was no "joining Fee" i would booked for 1 (At Bisley)in the new year. 

Targets at 300m, 400m, 500m, 600m, and 918m from the left of the 1000y point...

Positions were: prone, standing / kneeling baricade, oil drum / beer keg, mini tank trap

DSC_0233.JPG

DSC_0235.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

DSC_0238.JPG

DSC_0239.JPG

For me £100 for a shoot is quite a lot, but much easier to get to than Orion and it's not something I'd do too often,

That said, there needs to be banks of sand behind the plates, the splashes were barely visible and deceptive in that the strike could be way behind the target but visually below it meaning high shots appeared low. The furthest plates were just in front of the mantlet and there was sand behind them but no splashes visible.

5 hours ago, English Rifleman said:

Hi JC

Yes i think this is where my issue is.

As everyone knows the NRA can pull the plug Anytime they wish.

The current PRS events are way outside my shooting budget, so the Joining fee my be just wasted.

If there was no "joining Fee" i would booked for 1 (At Bisley)in the new year. 

Yeah I 100% get that. I only really started shooting because I wanted to shoot PRS matches. So for me paying the £50 membership fee and £100 range fee is cheaper than paying the range fee, travel and accommodation for Pro Shoot or Orion.

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

What distances are these events 

Varied. But as Mat said on this training day those were the distances.

24 minutes ago, Mat said:

For me £100 for a shoot is quite a lot, but much easier to get to than Orion and it's not something I'd do too often,

That said, there needs to be banks of sand behind the plates, the splashes were barely visible and deceptive in that the strike could be way behind the target but visually below it meaning high shots appeared low. The furthest plates were just in front of the mantlet and there was sand behind them but no splashes visible.

Yeah, misses were near impossible to spot. In the summer when the grounds dry and dusty that might be easier I guess. 

6 hours ago, JCalleja91 said:

Yeah, misses were near impossible to spot. In the summer when the grounds dry and dusty that might be easier I guess. 

If the fall of shot is near impossible to spot how does the RO Know that the shot has not gone over the Stop Butt due to a dope or dialling error? 

Maybe a review of the NRA Rules on missing a target should be reviewed:

A firer who neither observes nor receives any indication of the impact of his first shot, or in a practice where shots are not signalled individually of at least one shot in the first string, may only continue if one of the following applies:

a.  The firer identifies and rectifies a fault or error (eg mis-set sight) that would reasonably account for the miss.

b.  There is reasonable evidence (eg an unexplained shot on the next target) that the firer has crossfired.

c.  There is reasonable evidence (eg based on the advice of other competitors, which advice shall not be considered to be in the nature of coaching) that the wind allowance applied was such as to account for the miss.

d.  With the permission of the RO (eg as in Para 301). A firer acting as his own RO may not authorise himself to continue.

Regarding the above…..

How about we don’t undermine something that has the ability to make precision rifle much more accessible? 

The targets are on the range floor and therefore well below the sand bank. The only way to be unsafe would be to be a rev off. The chances of a PR shooter being a rev off are no different to any other range user. 

As a general comment, Shooting on a flat range obviously has disadvantages in terms of fall of shot but it’s another skill good shooters need to learn. 

1 hour ago, John MH said:

If the fall of shot is near impossible to spot how does the RO Know that the shot has not gone over the Stop Butt due to a dope or dialling error? 

Maybe a review of the NRA Rules on missing a target should be reviewed:

A firer who neither observes nor receives any indication of the impact of his first shot, or in a practice where shots are not signalled individually of at least one shot in the first string, may only continue if one of the following applies:

a.  The firer identifies and rectifies a fault or error (eg mis-set sight) that would reasonably account for the miss.

b.  There is reasonable evidence (eg an unexplained shot on the next target) that the firer has crossfired.

c.  There is reasonable evidence (eg based on the advice of other competitors, which advice shall not be considered to be in the nature of coaching) that the wind allowance applied was such as to account for the miss.

d.  With the permission of the RO (eg as in Para 301). A firer acting as his own RO may not authorise himself to continue.

We did zeroing first on paper 100y targets followed by elevation checks in slow time prone, so it wasn't a case of firing blind. "Impact of (his) first shot" was fine. The 300m plate was fine to spot, it got much harder to spot at 500/600m and beyond.

2 hours ago, Brushy said:

Regarding the above…..

How about we don’t undermine something that has the ability to make precision rifle much more accessible? 

The targets are on the range floor and therefore well below the sand bank. The only way to be unsafe would be to be a rev off. The chances of a PR shooter being a rev off are no different to any other range user. 

As a general comment, Shooting on a flat range obviously has disadvantages in terms of fall of shot but it’s another skill good shooters need to learn. 

Not undermine just highlighting the NRA rules.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Roy W said:

...the Feb comp, which is going to be around £110.

Similarly, I like the idea of it but the cost is a bit prohibitive.

How does this cost compare to the other PRS type shoots? Are there any of these around any more?

43 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

How does this cost compare to the other PRS type shoots? Are there any of these around any more?

I've shot at at 2 day match once, I agree it's just too expensive. I like the challenge, so I'm currently pursuing .22 PRS type shoots instead with my CZ 457.

Regards

JCS

CZ 457 MTR 16 20221025_180856-min.jpeg

36 minutes ago, jcampbellsmith said:

I've shot at at 2 day match once, I agree it's just too expensive. I like the challenge, so I'm currently pursuing .22 PRS type shoots instead with my CZ 457 instead.

This is my thoughts too. More ranges available as well. The NRL22 has a good format that travels well.

2 hours ago, Mattnall said:

It does not need to be that expensive I've been to matches in Devon that were £50.00 max.

6 hours ago, jcampbellsmith said:

I've shot at at 2 day match once, I agree it's just too expensive. I like the challenge, so I'm currently pursuing .22 PRS type shoots instead with my CZ 457.

Regards

JCS

CZ 457 MTR 16 20221025_180856-min.jpeg

we are getting involved in long range 22 at Bisley  as a couple of people bought our CZ 457 AND BEGARRA Chassis  Anshutz 1710 is our next one

Send it Series comps in Scotland are £60 entry

That includes being fed lunch and water 

So matches don’t have to cost silly money 

On a different note

It would be nice if someone would provide a match that’s moves away from the precision rifle “bench rest” type comp where a 30lb non recoiling rifle and a gaym changer bag are mandatory ,,,,,,,

Find it, range it, shoot it, much more appealing - natural obstacles or features rather than “same old barricades”

Would appeal to many people and create a level playing field