Which serious 6.5 creedmoor

By the end of the summer I hope to purchase a 6.5 creedmoor. I want something that’s deadly accurate and reliable. I like the tactical look, and I’m approaching it with “buy once cry once” I’m hoping that people could point me in the right direction. I really like the AT-X from accuracy international, and to be honest this is the rifle that I’m swaying towards. However there’s also the daniel defense, or maybe something like a custom made Howa or similar. By such great gun smiths like Valkyrie or Kershaw just too name a few. 
what would your money be going towards? Which would produce the best results?

32 minutes ago, Rickyd said:

By the end of the summer I hope to purchase a 6.5 creedmoor. I want something that’s deadly accurate and reliable. I like the tactical look, and I’m approaching it with “buy once cry once” I’m hoping that people could point me in the right direction. I really like the AT-X from accuracy international, and to be honest this is the rifle that I’m swaying towards. However there’s also the daniel defense, or maybe something like a custom made Howa or similar. By such great gun smiths like Valkyrie or Kershaw just too name a few. 

what's your intended use ?

as above, a sound recommendation.  I'd add:

Consider whether you need a magazine, if so, can you single feed?  This allows greater scope to tune your ammunition  - I assume you will hand-load as it's highly unlikely any rifle is 'deadly accurate' with factory ammo (save barrel tuning exotics etc).

I have a 6.5CM that's basically an F Open rifle,  given the weight and 30" barrel I couldn't imagine that being used for PRS but for +1000yds it's like cheating it's so precise.  Truly great performance means less compromises in whatever field.

1 minute ago, TJC said:

The UK chassis are out of spec and many don’t feed 6.5CM well. You might end up having to send them in for a temp fix whilst you wait for AI to decide what they are actually going to offer as a long term solution. This has been an issue for a while now with no reaolution being offered by AI.  

Many AT-X mags are out of spec too and will need to be returned if they are. 

Finally, they are on chassis design V3 I think in less than a year with small upgrades coming through as enhancements are made but I don’t think you can specify which version you want and you might end up with a V1. 

Thanks, I knew nothing of those problems.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, Rickyd said:

What exactly do you mean by best results?

Hi TJC

On 4/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, TJC said:

Sssshh nobody wants to talk about it or admit it but quite a bit on the Hide (although many posts have disappeared 😁😁😁).

Sounds like you have got some interesting information. Can I pick you brains a bit?

when you say “on the hide” is that snipers hide? Are they really on the 3rd version? It’s always difficult to find out much about AI in this country. I have assumed the US were making there ones and the UK factory the ones for this country? The reason I ask is I’ve seen a YouTube video from a supplier in the states. It’s strange that you say quality issues as well, when they then make a big deal on the quality assurance and CNC. I suppose the question would be if it’s a magazine issue (a pressed steel construction) or a design issue with the actual Aluminium chassis? The other thing you have to be careful of is that there is always someone just loving slagging off stuff that they don’t really understand (not saying that’s the case here but what do you think?). It will be a shame if it is really a misfiring start as the design looks really good.

I was actually thinking about upgrading the AT, but looks like the wait (a year for the chassis) will be a good opportunity to make sure it hasn’t got any issues. Although the Vision Chassis for the AI receiver looks gorgeous, so maybe worth considering.

As for what 6.5 creedmoor to get, there are so many brilliant rifles now, it comes down to what suits your requirements and you best. You don’t need to spend the big bucks either but by doing so, you can get exactly what you want. There are certain aspects about AI that took me down that route (a real UK product, great barrel changing system, rugged and shoots much better than me). The AT-X is really a rifle designed specifically for PRS where it can be rested on various props giving a good stable support and recoil straight back. There are quite a few aftermarket stocks and a few production rifles with these characteristics so have a look at as many as you can.

On 5/1/2022 at 5:04 PM, Timbo1963 said:

Hi TJC

Sounds like you have got some interesting information. Can I pick you brains a bit?

when you say “on the hide” is that snipers hide? Are they really on the 3rd version? It’s always difficult to find out much about AI in this country. I have assumed the US were making there ones and the UK factory the ones for this country? The reason I ask is I’ve seen a YouTube video from a supplier in the states. It’s strange that you say quality issues as well, when they then make a big deal on the quality assurance and CNC. I suppose the question would be if it’s a magazine issue (a pressed steel construction) or a design issue with the actual Aluminium chassis? The other thing you have to be careful of is that there is always someone just loving slagging off stuff that they don’t really understand (not saying that’s the case here but what do you think?). It will be a shame if it is really a misfiring start as the design looks really good.

I was actually thinking about upgrading the AT, but looks like the wait (a year for the chassis) will be a good opportunity to make sure it hasn’t got any issues. Although the Vision Chassis for the AI receiver looks gorgeous, so maybe worth considering.

As for what 6.5 creedmoor to get, there are so many brilliant rifles now, it comes down to what suits your requirements and you best. You don’t need to spend the big bucks either but by doing so, you can get exactly what you want. There are certain aspects about AI that took me down that route (a real UK product, great barrel changing system, rugged and shoots much better than me). The AT-X is really a rifle designed specifically for PRS where it can be rested on various props giving a good stable support and recoil straight back. There are quite a few aftermarket stocks and a few production rifles with these characteristics so have a look at as many as you can.

Thanks TJC

6 minutes ago, TJC said:

Yes SnipersHide. 

I believe the AT-X chsssis in the US is made by WIN Tactical and that AI UK make the British ones. I’m told only the British ones have had the spec issue. 

In the US they def have a mag issue with the dimensions / feed lips being the issue. AI North America have posted on the Hide about this showing what to look for and how to return mags with issues. I don’t know if the UK mags are from the same supplier but if you have the UK chassis issue then neither good or bad mags will work. 

I know they’ve started to distribute an upgraded / improved chassis in the US (V2 and now V3). I believe they have a quick release check piece and all screws are now of the same size. The UK one doesn’t yet come with a quick release cheek piece nor are all screws the same size. The cheek piece is a pain to remove for cleaning / bolt removal so you will probably want the folding mechanism or the quick release cheek piece. 

I def don’t know much but I sold my AT to get the AT-X. Big mistake. Please don’t make the same one. 

So I assume your having issues with yours feeding? Are you getting any support from AI or your retailer? I must admit I don’t want to end up with a rifle that won’t feed consistently from the magazine. This is one of my concerns about aftermarket chassis’s.

I had been considering p/x the AT but thought a chassis swap might be the route to go. Although I here the competition trigger in the AT-X is good?

On 4/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, TJC said:

Sssshh nobody wants to talk about it or admit it but quite a bit on the Hide (although many posts have disappeared 😁😁😁).

Looks like my post today has been deleted from this forum . I’ll still wait till any issues are sorted or go mdt or something like that . Let’s see 

I have a Tac A1 Tikka I consider a serious 6.5 CM. I ony use it or steel banging from 500 to 1400 yards. Trigger is excellent. Accuracy is superb. Not fussy, either: 123 to 143 grain with accuracy.

No 'issues' so far.  ~Andrew

• 1 month later...

I still consider the Tikka TAC A1 as the best out of the box precision 6.5CM.

Many shooters have had exceptional results, myself included,  using this rifle and 139 Lapua Scenars at 1000yds and one in a 6.5 Remington chamber won a Bisley match a few years back with an astonishing 2.5 or 2.7" 600m group out of the box which for a factory rifle is almost as good as it gets.  My only niggle with it is the chambering can be hit or miss if you rush the bolt.  It needs to be deliberately brought full back to the stop and operated smoothly to avoid mis chambering or not chambering the rounds.

Hornady 140 ELDs or 140gr SST's also shoot superbly from this rifle.

The only bullets I've had mixed success with so far are the 123gr Scenars.  Some reloads shoot fine, others barely scrape moa.  Perhaps I just need to develop those loads more carefully but for me the 139 scenar or would be my go-to bullet of choice for this rifle.