Pin gauges to check neck tension?

DaveT

I have always measured 'neck tension' by comparing a resized case before and after seating a bullet....ie 'neck expansion'.

I note that Forster are introducing a multiple pin gauge tool to measure inside neck diameter and being a detail-freak it piqued my interest.

However....I wonder about its engineering accuracy.

Has anyone used certified accuracy pin gauges to measure neck I/D ?

Your views on its utility?

Where could I buy individual imperial pins vs sets?

Your giews much appreciated.

40 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

A tool looking for a job........

I like that Vince 😂

Measuring neck tension doesn't need to be any more complicated than the first method described although that alone isnt foolproof.

Think about the elasticity of your brass, if all dimensions are the same but the elasticity of your brass differs then its grip on the bullet will differ, thats why many people anneal after every firing to try and make the necks as similar as possible in terms of the brass hardness.

Messing about with pin gauges is for people with too much time on their hands and money to waste.

I've bought a non-certified set off Aliexpress (i.e. from China), it was about £60 for a set of 100 to cover 6.00-6.99mm

I've not used it to measure neck expansion, but I have used it to measure doughnutting and reaming it away (though arguably a waste of time, I converted a batch of 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor).

If you want to accurately measure a small hole it's a good way to do it, so a useful addition to my workshop(/garage)

2 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

A tool looking for a job........

Who... me? 🤣🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, John MH said:

I use Ken Porter Precision Products Pin Gauges to adjust neck tension.

They're very nice gauges.  I use 21st Century mandrels, does the same job

Also use precision ground mandrels to size the internal bore of the neck after initial FL sizing 

seems to aid consistency and low ES confirms  this in the cartridges I reload using them 

Have some pin gauges that came with the expander mandrels

certainly shows up even the hint of a doughnut and consistency of your processes.

Each to their own, I certainly do not think what I do is right or the best, but I’m happy and obtain results I’m looking for.

14 hours ago, John MH said:

I use Ken Porter Precision Products Pin Gauges to adjust neck tension.

Thanks John