All in one rifle

Nick 53

Hi 

is there a rifle that could be used for Fclass and Benchrest 1000 yards along with vermin control fox and deer culling?

the rifle needs to have options to take suppressor and optional mag feed .

I will be reloading for the rifle .

any thoughts 

thanks nick 

It gonna be heavy , a biathlon type sling would ease the weight for stalking . Carbon fibre stock will reduce weight . Survival lily hunts hare with a 308 steyr chassis rifle check the YouTube vid . You’ll need to pick a suitable calibre too . Not sure of Fclass rules regarding calibre . Valkyrie rifles chap would be worth a ring for a custom rifle . Have fun 

Darrel Evans has done this for years with his Accuracy International. He holds the UKBRA 600 yard 'Heavy Gun' (exceeds 17lb weight) small group record with it too having broken previous records several times over the years. Since 2012, the rifle has been much upgraded and he shoots BR off a SEB Neo these days. He doesn't shoot 'F', but his rig would suit our (Diggle's) F/Mil class perfectly using a folding bipod. Deer and foxes too back home in Wales, but a heavy rifle to do much walking on hilly ground. The same applications could apply to most of the current breed of custom built chassis-stock tactical rifles, most chambered in 6.5X47 or 6.5 Creedmoor, alongside various sixes.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/02/evans-sets-uk-benchrest-records-with-accuracy-intl-tactical-rifle/

Vince Bottomley's (@The Gun Pimp here) delightful little 6X47 Lapua tactical / McQueens rifle would do all of these jobs. (Vince won Saturday's Diggle F/Mil division in the PSSA 300 yards F-Class match shooting in winds that were approaching 50 mph against a strong field.)  Now uprated and 6X47 Lapua.

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=1831

Valkyrie Rifles (aka Dave Wylde) has built lots of suitable rifles on various actions over the years and is also an accredited AI gunsmith.

3 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

Hi 

is there a rifle that could be used for Fclass and Benchrest 1000 yards along with vermin control fox and deer culling?

any thoughts 

thanks nick 

Nick - you could use almost anything but if you mean "is there a single rifle that would be competitive in 1000 yd Bencrest and F Class and light enough to carry around the hill?"  Then get me one if you find it!

I’m wondering if a Fclass rifle such as mine in tactical stock uses a Fclass and Benchrest forend with sling attached could it possibly be used it’s heavy 16lb plus 

downside 30” barrel not mag fed and isn’t screw cut but shoots scenar 180 bullets 

nick

21 minutes ago, Nick 53 said:

I’m wondering if a Fclass rifle such as mine in tactical stock uses a Fclass and Benchrest forend with sling attached could it possibly be used it’s heavy 16lb plus 

downside 30” barrel not mag fed and isn’t screw cut but shoots scenar 180 bullets 

nick

Can I ask please; what's the motivation in having just one rifle?  Surely the compromises inherent in this choice would undermine the performance in all fields?

If there was a ideal world 1 rifle to cover all disciplines in theory reducing the running costs of 2 rifles not just in reloading wear and tear of barrels. Keeping things as simple to a point 

it’s a option I want to look into.

I use my 284 for stalking/hunting and I use it for 1000yds snapshooting.i used it once for f class when my f open rifle was away with Neil Mckillop getting another barrel fitted.. it was 300 and 600yds.. it shot very well..

I used the 1000yds snapshooing load that I use with a muzzle brake but I put my mod on as its quite kicky with a naked barrel..

The 26 inch barrel wouldn't be competitive at 1000yds against race guns.. ok for 600yds it seems.

Accuracy International route as mentioned isn’t a bad shout. You could have one rifle, but multiple barrels (in any .308 bolt face calibre if you went AT / AT-X / AX308) Then you choose you calibre, barrel length, contour, material etc. 

For example you could have 30” scaffold pole for F-Class, then screw in a short lightweight barrel for stalking / varminting. Choose one cross over optic or have different scopes for different applications. As mentioned will never be a light set up, however biathlon sling and some sticks you’re good to go. 

22 hours ago, Nick 53 said:

Hi 

any thoughts 

thanks nick 

If your happy using a 17lb rifle with a 26-30 inch barrel to kill vermin then the world is your oyster.

Something in a McMillan A5 or Manners T4A stock and in a caliber like 6.5x47 or .284 will do everything you want.

Fitted with an Anshitz rail in the forend it will allow you to to use FClass front rests, benchrest bag riders or a harris bipod, the back can also be fitted with a bag rider for benchrest if you want. Run it with a AI bottom metal and AI magazine so it feeds for your vermin work and then use a single shot follower for your competition shooting. Thread the end for a moderator and it can also be used for a barrel tuner or muzzle brake if you wanted. You could use a custom action but also something like a Tikka T3 with a well fitted quality barrel would be more competitive than you and those you are competing against are likely to be so your wont be giving anything away.

I built a rifle just like I describe for Simon Mearns, he shoots fox and small vermin at extreme ranges on the moors with it and when he took it to Diggle he won convincingly on a number of occasions and was always competitive.  That rifle was capable of a 1" group in 600yd BR competition which he achieved.

Personally I wouldn't use an AI even though Darrel has been successful with his, a Tikka T3 would cycle smoother and offer a better Bix n Andy competition trigger option, both very important in benchrest. If you were really adventurous I could mill you a left hand feed port into the T3 and it would be really slick to shoot quickly for the benchrest, something that was laughed at by a well known competition rifle builder when I suggested it.

The laughing stopped when I started winning.

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

If your happy using a 17lb rifle with a 26-30 inch barrel to kill vermin then the world is your oyster.

Something in a McMillan A5 or Manners T4A stock and in a caliber like 6.5x47 or .284 will do everything you want.

Fitted with an Anshitz rail in the forend it will allow you to to use FClass front rests, benchrest bag riders or a harris bipod, the back can also be fitted with a bag rider for benchrest if you want. Run it with a AI bottom metal and AI magazine so it feeds for your vermin work and then use a single shot follower for your competition shooting. Thread the end for a moderator and it can also be used for a barrel tuner or muzzle brake if you wanted. You could use a custom action but also something like a Tikka T3 with a well fitted quality barrel would be more competitive than you and those you are competing against are likely to be so your wont be giving anything away.

I built a rifle just like I describe for Simon Mearns, he shoots fox and small vermin at extreme ranges on the moors with it and when he took it to Diggle he won convincingly on a number of occasions and was always competitive.  That rifle was capable of a 1" group in 600yd BR competition which he achieved.

Personally I wouldn't use an AI even though Darrel has been successful with his, a Tikka T3 would cycle smoother and offer a better Bix n Andy competition trigger option, both very important in benchrest. If you were really adventurous I could mill you a left hand feed port into the T3 and it would be really slick to shoot quickly for the benchrest, something that was laughed at by a well known competition rifle builder when I suggested it.

The laughing stopped when I started winning.

Thanks for your reply this is something I need to look into. Once I’ve fully decided I will come back to you 

I would not overlook the importance of a quick change barrel feature on whatever platform you go with. Two barrels in a calibre that uses the same bolt face, or a 22” barrel and 30” barrel in something like 6.5 creed could be very versatile. It’s a bit more than a guess as I’ve done that with an AI in 338 lm (a few 20” barrels and a 25” barrel………my application is different but same principle). 

I’ve had DTA and currently use a few AI’s. Both are very good. The DTA offers a shorter OAL by a good six inches for the same barrel length - might be a consideration for hunting.

AI AT and AX are very good - I would prefer something with a bit of plastic on it rather than just an alloy chassis for hunting like an ATX ( alloy gets cold in winter). 

I would have a look at Victrix rifles too - here (cz) an entry chassis one is not that much more than a Tikka Tac AI.

0C593473-D60C-409D-830C-F45118725746.thumb.jpeg.a0101b0285d66276aea84659d039f566.jpegC4A298B2-A053-4853-9C05-883D4333B35C.thumb.jpeg.86e2ba8cd2376883cf43252a733b0f51.jpeg

I am contemplating the same quick change system in .22 and 6mm warp spead rifle, west texas ordanence switch barrel system on two calibres. 22Gt for rabbits and foxes PRC FOR WARP SPEED steel , egg shoot at Diggle.  Can't seeing it being a problem , just have some indexing marks on action , tubes and set scope (zero) for one calibre then zero for second, make a note on final zero and repeat for both tubes. Won't  be a million miles out. That's my plan any way😁. Got a new bolt head for my TR action for PRC WARP rifle so that's what I am doing in the next few months. I could buy a new action but another 2k   and trigger say £300 -.£2300 all up , I will save me pennies and I mite put it towards a 6-36-56 PM11. I have a a 7.5 Bartlien carbon landing shortly 24" . CANT see me parting with my chassis at the minute solid base, and not too heavy.i know its not everyone's cup of tea , but I like the concept of 2 calibres on one action   and ease of changing.

IMG_1178.JPG

Using my Remington short action in 308 and now shooting 284 Winchester I wonder if the bolt face would take 6br ? Utilise my Mcree stock with rail for Fclass bipod and having changeable Benchrest forend and bag rider for Benchrest. Use 10-50x60 sightron with Tier mounts ,have 1-9 barrel 30” for Fclass shooting 180 scenar L and Benchrest barrel about 28” long.shooting 105 scenar L  Depending which calibre for vermin and Deer screw cut with protector and using suitable moderator. I wonder if feasible The rifle will be heavy .

Hi Nick, you can utilise with what you have , but like Alan as said you haven't got to break the bank !!. Just bear in mind, and have a good think of what when finished the overall weight on what you want to end up with ? You don't want a caddy carrying your riflewhen your out. Alot of people , just spec rifle build , with no thought on end weight   ie scope, mounts , bipod  , stock, barrel, moderator. So just have a long think on what you intend to do with your stick? 😁👍 and the finished weight when all finished, not when your on a bench obviously 👍

I’ve got multiple barrels & bolts setup on both my Defiance tube gun and Impact/MPA guns.

The Defiance was bought with the same thing in mind - one platform (chassis, action, scope, rings etc) to save cost and keep a consistent platform. It’s a sound idea…shame I can’t stick to one gun. I like nice shiny things too much.

Neither of these guns are ‘quick change’, I still need to use a vice. But that’s fine, it only takes 5mins to spin one barrel off, lube the threads of the new one, spin it on and torque it. Im not a ‘sniper’ in the field, so have no need to ‘quick’ change barrels whilst I lie in the mud. 🙄😂

Don’t bother with witness marks on the barrel & action, simply use a good torque wrench and torque to the same setting every time. Takes the guess work out of it.

If you do go one rifle, many barrels and regularly switch them back & forth, take note that your scope zero settings are likely to be very different (dependant on the calibres). You’ll need to find the zero for each barrel and make a note - then ensure you re-set your scope to the corresponding zero for that barrel. Simple to do, just keep dedicated notes. Good luck!

30 minutes ago, lee w 118 said:

Hi Nick, you can utilise with what you have , but like Alan as said you haven't got to break the bank !!. Just bear in mind, and have a good think of what when finished the overall weight on what you want to end up with ? You don't want a caddy carrying your riflewhen your out. Alot of people , just spec rifle build , with no thought on end weight   ie scope, mounts , bipod  , stock, barrel, moderator. So just have a long think on what you intend to do with your stick? 😁👍 and the finished weight when all finished, not when your on a bench obviously 👍

Thanks will think about the weight and all that matters which is everything