My first 308, help on choosing ammo?

I've had my Tikka Tac A1 (with 20" barrel) for a short while and now things have finally settled I'm going to get to use it.  I bought it for target shooting and not hunting. 

My question is, which ammo would you folks recommend? 

Regards. 

T-73,

It looks from your post you are not looking at reloading here but buying ammunition - yes?

If this is the case it might come down to what you can get hold of on a regular basis from your local gun shops?

Once you know that you could start making a choice of a couple to try?

The only 308 factory ammo I've seen used recently was some GGG 175g match which a new member purchased at Bisley and it performed very well at 900 & 1000 out of his AI, they also do 155 & 168g versions.

Brgds T

Just now, terryh said:

T-73,

It looks from your post you are not looking at reloading here but buying ammunition - yes?

If this is the case it might come down to what you can get hold of on a regular basis from your local gun shops?

Once you know that you could start making a choice of a couple to try?

The only 308 factory ammo I've seen used recently was some GGG 175g match which a new member purchased at Bisley and it performed very well at 900 & 1000 out of his AI, they also do 155 & 168g versions.

Brgds T

Hello Terry, thanks for your reply.  Yes I should have stated that, currently I'm looking for off the shelf as opposed to hand loading. 

For the price, you really can’t beat the NRA contract 155grn GGG, loaded with the Sierra Matchking bullet. It seems to shoot vey tight groups. It’s even better value if you buy the allegedly ‘dodgy’ 2019 batch. However, this ammo is only available at Bisley.

As others have said, HPS is also very good, if a bit more expensive. I have also seen it for sale at several gunshops. If you want to shoot at longer ranges, you will need a tolerant bullet with good transonic behaviours, given the lower velocities from your shorter barrel. The 155grn stuff can work pretty well on warmer days, but I have found that the HPS 190grn shoots a bit tighter past 800 yards.

For shorter ranges, I would just buy a couple of cases of MEN 147grn ball ammo at about half the cost of the GGG and enjoy! Despite the cost, this still shoots very well.

Personally, I would avoid PPU, S&B, Federal and other cheaper FMJ ball rounds as they never seem to shoot as well.

10 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

For the price, you really can’t beat the NRA contract 155grn GGG, loaded with the Sierra Matchking bullet. It seems to shoot vey tight groups. It’s even better value if you buy the allegedly ‘dodgy’ 2019 batch. However, this ammo is only available at Bisley.

As others have said, HPS is also very good, if a bit more expensive. I have also seen it for sale at several gunshops. If you want to shoot at longer ranges, you will need a tolerant bullet with good transonic behaviours, given the lower velocities from your shorter barrel. The 155grn stuff can work pretty well on warmer days, but I have found that the HPS 190grn shoots a bit tighter past 800 yards.

For shorter ranges, I would just buy a couple of cases of MEN 147grn ball ammo at about half the cost of the GGG and enjoy! Despite the cost, this still shoots very well.

Personally, I would avoid PPU, S&B, Federal and other cheaper FMJ ball rounds as they never seem to shoot as well.

plus one on MEN 147gr.   We have good results in the club guns with that.   Also RWS is v. good but expensive - Garlands stock it.

Lapua and Sako ammo is really good if it's available (again - expensive).   Not tried Hornady but I've heard it's fine,  my experience of Remmington was utter carp - and that was the so-called match ammo with SMK in 168gr

When we started (with a Parker Hale 1200TX), we used to buy the MEN 147 grain stuff  packed in boxes of 20  in a green plastic outer........it was better than we were........

Pete