Sizing 243 necks 20thou tighter

JockStalk

Maybe a daft question, but if I was to use a Smaller neck sizer for my fired brass Eg a .223”, so giving me 20thou smaller diameter. Would this be a bad thing? 

If you mean that you have a 243 Win...please don't give it 20 thou neck tension!

It is a VERY daft question, and would probably result in a split case neck or collapsed case shoulder. As already mentioned, if you did manage to seat the bullet, the resulting pressure spike could prove "interesting"...............have you done much reloading?

Pete

Discussing with another who had been recommended to neck size 243 with 220 swift Lyman M die. Seemed a bad idea but thought I’d see if I was missing something! 

4 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

It is a VERY daft question, and would probably result in a split case neck or collapsed case shoulder. As already mentioned, if you did manage to seat the bullet, the resulting pressure spike could prove "interesting"...............have you done much reloading?

Pete

Cheers Pete, Good to know you think people who want to learn are daft. Do you get asked many questions by others less magnificent than you? 

16 hours ago, JockStalk said:

Maybe a daft question, but if I was to use a Smaller neck sizer for my fired brass Eg a .223”, so giving me 20thou smaller diameter. Would this be a bad thing? 

Sounds like very dangerous advice but it seems like something has been lost in translation, I cant imagine anyone seriously giving that advice, if they did then run away from them as fast as you can.

Resizing a neck by 20 thou is changing a caliber entirely its not a normal reloading practise. If you resized your .243 brass down by 20 thou your bullets would no longer fit in the case. The force required to make them fit would be ridiculous and either the bullet or brass or both would most likely deform.

Neck tension is the difference between the outside diameter of the neck after sizing and the outside diameter after the bullet has been seated. Normally re-loaders will aim for a neck tension value in the 1-3 thousandths of an inch range, Ive seen some powders prefer a little more but anything over 5 thou really isn't needed and standard reloading dies usually give around 2-3.

JockStalk, I'm primarily concerned that you might wind up hurting yourself or others, and if you are reloading, then sorry, but I'm surprised that you need to ask the question...........

Pete

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

Sounds like very dangerous advice but it seems like something has been lost in translation, I cant imagine anyone seriously giving that advice, if they did then run away from them as fast as you can.

Resizing a neck by 20 thou is changing a caliber entirely its not a normal reloading practise. If you resized your .243 brass down by 20 thou your bullets would no longer fit in the case. The force required to make them fit would be ridiculous and either the bullet or brass or both would most likely deform.

Neck tension is the difference between the outside diameter of the neck after sizing and the outside diameter after the bullet has been seated. Normally re-loaders will aim for a neck tension value in the 1-3 thousandths of an inch range, Ive seen some powders prefer a little more but anything over 5 thou really isn't needed and standard reloading dies usually give around 2-3.

That’s clear Al thanks for the info. 
I’ve been reloading for 6 years and never come across anyone using an incorrect sizing die deliberately, hence the question. 
No intention on my part to do this, unless several well experienced people were telling me it was some dark art of reloading I had yet to discover. 
Always caution first for me, but if I come across something I don’t understand I’ll ask. 
likely something lost in translation! 

I don't know as it is grossly unsafe as the seated bullet then expands the neck, and a 243 has enough juice to blow the neck away from the bullet there would be the issue of starting the load development all over again and all the added steps. If you want more neck tension use the Lee Factory Crimp die. Trimming the cases to identical lengths for correct crimping will be waaaay less of a chore than what you were planning.~Andrew

In all honesty if anyone had sized the necks by 20 thou more than bullet diameter it wouldn't get to the point of pulling a trigger so unlikely to become a dangerous situation. After ruining a couple of cases/bullets which is what would happen when trying to seat the bullet I think common sense would prevail and the loader would stop.

All though slightly different my question to a so called reloading expert how much powder to use! The reply was fill the case up. Thankfully I declined  and asked my club Diggle for assistance. 

Never looked back and happily produce quality reload ammunition. 

Thanks nick 

^ Jees iv heard this before - fill so its overflowing then use a flat edge to wipe off the excess -lol ffs 

How about a shooter using a wooden mallet to open his bolt on a 338,i asked do you resize your brass? He replied quite honestly No what's resizing. 

Thanks nick 

On 7/25/2020 at 7:38 AM, Andrew said:

I don't know as it is grossly unsafe as the seated bullet then expands the neck, and a 243 has enough juice to blow the neck away from the bullet there would be the issue of starting the load development all over again and all the added steps. If you want more neck tension use the Lee Factory Crimp die. Trimming the cases to identical lengths for correct crimping will be waaaay less of a chore than what you were planning.~Andrew

Im with you. I cant understand for the life of me why 020 under would be a good idea. With a 28 degree inner chamfer you might seat a projectile but the very thought of the unknown pressure rise makes me very unhappy.

Meh, unless you´re wildcatting to something like 22-243 it has no sense or value whatsoever. 

Keep in mind there is a limit to brass springback, which in turn means a limit to neck tension as we use to refer to it. This is roughly up to 3 thou on std calibers, maybe 4-5 thou on 338 and bigger. Anything more you´re just uselessly moving brass to another diameter. Conversely to that, if the brass were able to springback more, it would not be possible for reloaders to neck-up or down in general as the brass would always just spring back to what you started with. But that doesn´t happen. 

All that happens when you size the neck down any further is that the bullet has to act as an expander. Depending how far under diameter you go, it may not seat at all and crush the shoulder, seat crooked etc. However, if you do manage to seat it, it will not be held any firmly than with regularly sized brass. If you really need to increase the force holding the bullet in place, crimp it.