Hi All, 

So i took my 6.5CM out to 900 yards at Bisley on Saturday,  shot my own hand loaded Ammo on the electronic targets, and relly really enjoyed myself, 95% in the Black and a fair few V bulls, it gave me the same warm feeling  of a 4 lb river caught wild brown with a hand tied fly .

Now the problem is i may have caught this distance bug, so is there anywhere in the SE I can shoot 1200+ and justify (to surrey policeand the Mrs ) a .338LM or similar which would make an ideal retirement present to myself?

thanks

Martin

Stick with the 6.5CM.

Use an appropriate bullet (eg the 147gn - 150gn) and an upper charge, and you’ll easily sail past the 1200m mark.

I have a big 338Norma Mag boomer. Love it though I do, you’ve got to Factor in the cost of a setup for a new gun; gun, scope, rings, dies, brass, powder, bullets, primers, gun bag/box etc etc.

Any new gun is a very, very large investment - increases so as you go up calibre’s. Your 6.5CM will do everything you want on pretty much all U.K. ranges.

By saving money on a whole new gun, you could spend that money on the best reloading gear, consumables, multiple barrels and have many tens of thousands of rounds practice down range - all improving your technique and reading the wind skills - all of which is probably a better idea I think.

It does obviously lack the big ‘BOOM’ however .😎😂

Just my opinion.

Hi Martin,

One plus point of the larger calibres (300 WM up to .50BMG) is that larger heavier bullets provide a really good "splash" indication at distance. I have shot 6.5cm but the larger cals are better for my old peepers. 😁

HTH

G

There's Lydd in Kent.  FCSA shoot there regularly (and have planned shoots for this year).  Any calibre uptown and including 50cal

If you get a .338LM you will need to travel (apart from above)

Hi Pops

Is there anyone in this parish that can help re FCSA? Have sent three requests to sec for guest and membership but no reply.

Sorry Martin for going off-topic

Mike

2 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Stick with the 6.5CM.

Use an appropriate bullet (eg the 147gn - 150gn) and an upper charge, and you’ll easily sail past the 1200m mark.

I have a big 338Norma Mag boomer. Love it though I do, you’ve got to Factor in the cost of a setup for a new gun; gun, scope, rings, dies, brass, powder, bullets, primers, gun bag/box etc etc.

Any new gun is a very, very large investment - increases so as you go up calibre’s. Your 6.5CM will do everything you want on pretty much all U.K. ranges.

By saving money on a whole new gun, you could spend that money on the best reloading gear, consumables, multiple barrels and have many tens of thousands of rounds practice down range - all improving your technique and reading the wind skills - all of which is probably a better idea I think.

It does obviously lack the big ‘BOOM’ however .😎😂

Just my opinion.

You might be right, it is pehaps a little extravagent to buy a gun to shoot perhaps once or twice a year. ( though that has never stopped me with Shotguns 🙂 )

1 hour ago, FB66 said:

Hi Pops

Is there anyone in this parish that can help re FCSA? Have sent three requests to sec for guest and membership but no reply.

Sorry Martin for going off-topic

Mike

Ah, I wish.   There's no reply to emails- I guess the Sec is inundated with work ??

2 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Ah, I wish.   There's no reply to emails- I guess the Sec is inundated with work ??

Try the facebook page FCSA UK

They are very busy with their own work plus sorting the new range out

As someone said, you can't shoot .338LM at Bisley. As you've worked out, this means a trip elsewhere and of course joining another Club. Personally I can't see the point of spending ££££ on a rifle that I can't use on my local range.

However there are ballistically very similar cartridges which you can shoot at Bisley, albeit under the HME restrictions. The limit is 3281fps and or 7000J, which makes the 'sweet-spot' a 210-220 grain bullet at 3280-3250fps. A strong contender in this category is the 300 Norma Magnum: you won't be seriously out-classed alongside the 338's when you get out to the Mile, but you can still shoot it every weekend if you want to (and can afford the barrels).

Triffid