Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

The endless quest for the perfect field watch


Recommended Posts

I absolutely get the difference between a tool watch and a field watch. I think I have the perfect suggestion for you - the Timefactors PRS-10. Basically a modern copy of the CWC/Precista G10 with a 33mm dial. Waterproof, with a sapphire crystal and a 10-year battery. And good value at £195. 

 

 

3F807BEB-6BCC-4CDE-A0C4-BC6387EB6B21.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Shuggy said:

I absolutely get the difference between a tool watch and a field watch. I think I have the perfect suggestion for you - the Timefactors PRS-10. Basically a modern copy of the CWC/Precista G10 with a 33mm dial. Waterproof, with a sapphire crystal and a 10-year battery. And good value at £195. 

 

 

3F807BEB-6BCC-4CDE-A0C4-BC6387EB6B21.jpeg

doesn't get clearer than that, is the night visibility any good?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Tikka 260 said:

I've had this on my wrist since 1972, A Rolex Sea Dweller 1665, it been to 310 metres with me in a DDC, and to 215 metres in the N Sea ( back in the day), dived it in Korea, Taiwan, Middle East, Antigua, Brazil, Barbados, Indonesia, Oman. Its not a perfect watch for deer related activities, but .... it is extremely robust, and keeps good time. OK, granted that I wouldn't pay current prices for the modern version, but this old thing has served me well. Its up for sale with original papers and some Comex Dive Logs etc. from the 1970's.

 

DSCN0815.jpeg

You stand to make a tidy sum 😊 Best of luck! 😊😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TSG said:

 

I have one and it is like the old Explorer 1 although not quite right on the dial! ( I have the Rolex  Bloodhound Air King which is very fussy on the dial but is essential a Milgaus without the disco glass an double clasp.

 

A34EA307-0E97-4E35-BC15-980AA44D7488.jpeg

How do you find the Everest?

I find the Hillary-link quite appealing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shuggy said:

Actually I just reread the original post. I had mistaken the lower picture for an original Precista, but perhaps it is one of the modern ones?

Your earlier suggestion was perfect! 😊

..Yes, modern!

But trying to work out quite what I think about it; which is rather what prompted me to start this thread.

Been issued a few CWCs 'back when'; but remember ruining one just taking a shower. Iconic, but a lowest-bidder watch.

Last got issued a Pulsar when I didn't fancy wearing a posh watch in Iraq; later, gave it to a pal. 

The new Precista is 95%. Waaay better than a CWC - and waterproof to 100m! - The lume is amazing... but my (not very) OCD brain struggles with sword hands that haven't been filled to capacity with lume - why the flippin 'eck would someone decide to do that?! 

[I've reached typing capacity - currently examining the optimum ratio of Angostura bitters reqd to make the perfect Horse's Neck!]

20200429_102843.thumb.png.d2d8d15cd7e09b42619df9c0eaaa64a9.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Smiths is Ok but as I said there is something about the dial. I chose not to but a new Explorer because I thought the crown too small compared to the Air King. I have the Quartz Precista Diver  which I like a lot, . Have you looked ar the Christopher Ward Sandhurst? 
Although I have been told ‘no more watches or large calibre rifles or rifles or knives and why have you got 23 rucksacks and lots of coats’ I shall ignore this and perhaps buy a Seiko Alpinist as its quite niche!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TSG said:

The Smiths is Ok but as I said there is something about the dial. I chose not to but a new Explorer because I thought the crown too small compared to the Air King. I have the Quartz Precista Diver  which I like a lot, . Have you looked ar the Christopher Ward Sandhurst? 
Although I have been told ‘no more watches or large calibre rifles or rifles or knives and why have you got 23 rucksacks and lots of coats’ I shall ignore this and perhaps buy a Seiko Alpinist as its quite niche!

😂

What on the dial? The balance (or imbalance)  of white writing at the top and black writing below?  I've been put off them by the undersized hour hand - something that may have just been corrected, but it's hard to tell, the website is wildly out of date,  and the forum seems to be a bit of a suck-up sycophant-fest!😂

Yup, looked at Ward and Bremont - the 37mm solo looks 'fieldy' -  but I think they're at that weird watch mid price point that makes them money down the drain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, terryh said:

They did a lovely 38mm reissue of their dirty dozen greenlander a while back:

20200430_100730.png.7014e703208d10d890f6063cc4f160f8.png

I think their current reissues have wandered back towards 'wearing my dad's watch' sizing. 40mm on this is bigger than 'proper' Rolexes - and their best field-look is 43mm:

20200430_100622.png.8138200b9f008511801a8be91f375d4f.png

Don't get the dinner-plate sizing. I think it's an Asian/Arab market thing.

Other thoughts - I never understand 13-24 on a watch face. Crowds it, reduces legibility and very Timex camping watch to my eye!😂

E.g., this Hamilton... so close, then ruined! Look how much better it looks with the visual noise removed! 😂

Time for my morning gin.....🤣

IMG-20200430-WA0000.thumb.jpg.c041fdcce15d7754c43365dbf6f06d68.jpgIMG-20200430-WA0001.thumb.jpg.d4d66946d99a002adb85a320b56b99ad.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.... bit off OP and possibly a bit sad, but this thread’s been one of the more interesting parts of my week.

I’m off the Gin, gone over to using wine in my over night oats! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not design your own 'Brown Dog Field Watch' and chat with Eddie Platts at Timefactors to get a limited Edition made. He did a run for me of only 75 pieces for an REBD Anniversary watch.

You'll get exactly what you want then, just down to you to market and sell the others, preferably before they get made

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Why not design your own 'Brown Dog Field Watch' and chat with Eddie Platts at Timefactors to get a limited Edition made. He did a run for me of only 75 pieces for an REBD Anniversary watch.

You'll get exactly what you want then, just down to you to market and sell the others, preferably before they get made

 

How different was your design - existing with logo, or totally bespoke?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, meles meles said:

That PRS 40, with a nice big date window above the 6 o'clock position, would be just about ideal. The position of the winder is good: we have a couple of watches like that and they never snag on stuff...

I think it's rather niche. Nice if you like it, but...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Smiths do a "Big Date" too, just as you wanted Brock.  All they need do now is incorporate into the NATO and Bob's your brother's badger

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

PRS40 NATO   how about this weird looker?  Very simple, rugged, but 40mm diameter. 

Screenshot 2020-04-30 at 12.35.43.png

Looks like about 500 dwarves mined the raw materials 🤔😁

Different but definitely Marmite - NB no straight lines in nature!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, meles meles said:

Plenty of straight lines in crystallography...

and if we can ignore Einstein Space/Time,  photon tracks too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, brown dog said:

 

I've been put off them by the undersized hour hand - something that may have just been corrected, but it's hard to tell, the website is wildly out of date,  and the forum seems to be a bit of a suck-up sycophant-fest!

Ah. 

Just seen a photo of the new 'corrected' hour hand.

Ummmm🤔🤔

Think I'm seeing the original problem solved, and replaced with a new one - 'balance' seems off, but now relative widths(?)

20200430_141648.thumb.png.3ce3632f441c330cf9e428f7a887e0db.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


Northallerton NSAC shooting.jpg

RifleMags_200x100.jpg

dolphin button4 (200x100).jpg

CASEPREP_FINAL_YELLOW_hi_res__200_.jpg

rovicom200.jpg

Lumensmini.png

CALTON MOOR RANGE (2) (200x135).jpg

bradley1 200.jpg

NVstore200.jpg

blackrifle.png

jr_firearms_200.gif

valkyrie 200.jpg

tab 200.jpg



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy