The endless quest for the perfect field watch

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

How different was your design - existing with logo, or totally bespoke?

We used an existing PRS design and had a logo put on the face, but we could have changed the Lume, Hands Numbers etc. He has them made for the batch to my knowledge

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Roy W said:

We used an existing PRS design and had a logo put on the face, but we could have changed the Lume, Hands Numbers etc. He has them made for the batch to my knowledge

Give him a call Matt, he will bore you to death on the phone about watches, but he was a Drop Short, so that's probably why :)

5 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Give him a call Matt, he will bore you to death on the phone about watches, but he was a Drop Short, so that's probably why :)

surprised he can hear you on the phone 😁  What's that? eh?

BD

Just ask if he can put the Expedition hour hand onto that watch and your done?

2F95C72A-39F5-43E5-827B-DABBEAA61410.jpeg.9a230247b27d3ad6259498b165da223b.jpeg

....ask me another 😁

crystallography & photon tracks, hum, something you see every day while walking the dog,or diving in the ocean or even being filmed and talked over in a hushed voice by David A 😉 (come on gents - pedantry of the highest order badges all round)

7 minutes ago, terryh said:

Just ask if he can put the Expedition hour hand onto that watch and your done?

Asked him a similar question a while back - he doesn't hold spares or work on them; what comes from his mnfr is how it stays.  I think his black everest is jinxed - this is the 4th iteration, none has looked 100%.

On the other hand, the one you pictured has a quasi-cult following - a modern watch you can actually sell immediately for more than you pay for it (small runs, limited sales windows).

1 hour ago, terryh said:

snip "crystallography & photon tracks, hum, something you see every day while walking the dog,or diving in the ocean or even being filmed and talked over in a hushed voice by David A 😉 (come on gents - pedantry of the highest order badges all round)"

I shall wear my badge proudly 😁

Lots of love for Timefactors on here. I have been a fan for years and thought that I was the only one here with that affliction. My absolute favourite is the PRS-18Q, but it is definitely in the ‘tool watch’ category. On TZUK someone once described it as the ‘thinking man’s beater’. Sad to see that it is discontinued, but they do turn up secondhand.

08C0C60E-04FC-4654-A8C3-373A9B477102.jpeg

I'm currently reviewing an Elliot and Brown special edition, MREW, watch, and as waterproof 200m, with very bright luminous markers and simple face, and also a really neat feature is the prismatic glass, being able to read the time easily at an acute angle. 2 straps, rubber and webbing, with retaining pins that screw in, not spring loaded bendy pins. I dont think the movement is anything too special, but it appears to keep time very well.

9977C19D-4039-4485-8AD7-47991CA27706.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, One on top of two said:

I had a similar situation last summer, I have a couple of nice automatic watch’s ( moon watch / Longines HydroConquest Ceramic) yawn 🥱 

but I wanted an everyday watch to cover Life / range / hunting /stalking and just being in the thick of it 
I went for a Gamin fenix 6 Pro complete with ballistic software .

i can’t fault it ! Absolutely love it ! Never comes off my wrist , and it takes 40 mins to charge from flat and that will last 3 and a bit weeks . 
100 % accuracy all the time . 
without doubt the best watch I have ever owned!

Hmm might be the watch for me! Cant make my mind up between Garmin and Suunto 

• 2 months later...

Nothing special but I really like the simplicity of the design of my GPW mission.

42.5mm case, looks just about perfect on my wrist.

Guts are a Seiko NH35 automatic. Works well, possibly runs around 1min slow over the course of a week, which isn’t bad as I’m mostly sat at my desk 5days. 

So far, titanium case and sapphire glass has held up to resist scuffs and scratches. Whatever they coated/treated the bezel with also resisting scuffs, unlike my last Suunto Core which looked like all the paint had been bead-blasted off in less than 6 months.

Nice and light, feels comfy, waterproof to 200m, good luminosity but not iridium, strap is great (Suunto split after 4 months). 👍

6D4201CB-6220-4C06-8F74-6FC4BE68830F.jpeg