Copper fouling

No i deer

My 6.5x47 pac-nor super match barrel has done 2000 shots and it's begining to copper foul quite badly now.. Its had a hard life shooting 200 and 300yds McQueens . Also 600 and occasional 1000yds snaps comps.

At the moment is still shooting great.

I recently bought a teslong borescope and it looks pretty firecracked.

Photo is the patches used to clean the bore soaking in the dolphin muzzle brake.

Approx 90 shots through the barrel before this clean..

There's probaly 12 patches in the brake ports 

No copper in the bore on inspection.

20200410_184338.jpg

7 hours ago, No i deer said:

Photo of the throat of my 6.5x47

Screenshot_20200410-210716_Endoscope Camera.jpg

A few strokes with JB compound may reduce copper fouling, seems to smooth the rough edges I am sold on it.

13 hours ago, No i deer said:

My 6.5x47 pac-nor super match barrel has done 2000 shots and it's begining to copper foul quite badly now.. Its had a hard life shooting 200 and 300yds McQueens . Also 600 and occasional 1000yds snaps comps.

At the moment is still shooting great.

I recently bought a teslong borescope and it looks pretty firecracked.

Photo is the patches used to clean the bore soaking in the dolphin muzzle brake.

Approx 90 shots through the barrel before this clean..

There's probaly 12 patches in the brake ports 

No copper in the bore on inspection.

20200410_184338.jpg

If it’s still shooting...then don’t worry about it! Why worry about something that isn’t broken!

Only give it a concern when accuracy isn’t there anymore.

What powder are you using btw?

Also, not sure if it’s true or not, but have read somewhere that PacNor barrels can be a bit soft. 

Here's a shot of my 6BR.......(Musgrave with Lothar barrel). I bought this second hand 7 years ago. The barrel dates from the mid 2000's, and I have no idea how many rounds have been through it before the 3K or so that I've done. In january this year, it did a sub 1/2moa 5 shot group at 300yds, so it's not yet ready for the bin............

Pete

muzz.jpg

10 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

If it’s still shooting...then don’t worry about it! Why worry about something that isn’t broken!

Only give it a concern when accuracy isn’t there anymore.

What powder are you using btw?

Also, not sure if it’s true or not, but have read somewhere that PacNor barrels can be a bit soft. 

Originally it ran on 39.8grs of H4350 pushing the 139gr scenars and 140gr amaxs..

I used 50 shots of 39grs of RS60 to launch the 140gr amaxs loads  i hunted with..

Once the H4350 dried up its been running on RS62..

I've not got any of the jags and bits and bobs needed to apply the JB paste that's shown on the videos I've watched on YouTube..

I've got a tiny tub of JB paste off a fellow shooters..

Can I just use a nylon bore brush or would I need bisley patches and a bisley jag..

What other oily jollop can I use in place of kroil oil as I've none of this stuff..   

Ok thanks saddler.

I went through my old bisley jags and I only found a 30 cal and a 22 jags.. 

I switched over to pro-shots jags and patches years ago..

Could I use a drop of 3 in 1 oil to help the JB if I can't source what you suggested or kroil oil..? 

35 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I gave the JB paste a whirl..

I used boretec eliminator as that's all I had and it's a barrel cleaner anyway. It didn't feel like It was doing anything.

Before and after.

It's definately shinnier 

Screenshot_20200413-175812_Endoscope Camera.jpg

Screenshot_20200413-175821_Endoscope Camera.jpg

Ooo yeah that’s bought the fire-cracks out ! 
like has already been said , I personally would not think that’s anything to be concerned about , but as also had been said it would be helpful to see how far the cracks have gone down barrel . 
IMHO if that’s all you have , I think whatever your doing after 2000 rounds your doing right ! 👍

35 minutes ago, Gluv said:

As long as it shoots, who cares ?

Bore scopes are the worst thing you can buy 

Gluv🇬🇧

I'm not bothered by the firecracking because I never expected anything less..

It was interesting to see and how my cleaning regime was going..

When we get back out shooting hopefully I will see if the JB paste has reduce the copper fouling..

I will get the right tooling for the job which I'd feel happier with using..

The firecracking diminishes fast as you move down the barrel..

I will measure it next time I get the borescoped out..

I will definately keep shooting it until it dies 😁

The easiest way to use JBs is to get a highly worn bronze brush of the same cal, or a smaller diam brush, say a .270 in a .30 cal barrel. Wrap your patch around the brush and lather with JBs. This gives the necessary pressure against the bore and you can work it back and forth in the throat area without the need to do full-length runs down the barrel.

Ok Chris. 

That will be possible as I've several different worn brushes bronze and some nylon ones I could do that 👍

I did smoother some JB paste over a naked nylon brush and worked that up n down the bore too.

As the throat got shinnier it must of polished it to a fashion 👍

Personally I wouldn’t JB paste it. Sure it’s firecracked but using the polishing compound will only widen your bore diameter (albeit minutely), which will alter the bullet to bore pressure seal created.

Just why bother to worry? The gun still shoots fine. And you know the barrel is a consumable part that will eventually have to be replaced. Why spend time ruining what’s left of the throat, when you could focus energies on other more important things? Be safe in the knowledge that you can pick the gun up again after all this COVID19 rubbish and still shoot small groups.

4 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Personally I wouldn’t JB paste it. Sure it’s firecracked but using the polishing compound will only widen your bore diameter (albeit minutely), which will alter the bullet to bore pressure seal created.

Just why bother to worry? The gun still shoots fine. And you know the barrel is a consumable part that will eventually have to be replaced. Why spend time ruining what’s left of the throat, when you could focus energies on other more important things? Be safe in the knowledge that you can pick the gun up again after all this COVID19 rubbish and still shoot small groups.

☝️👍