damn fireworks

banus02

well its started,kin fireworks¬!!!! three families close to use started at 1800 and still going,scaring the animals and near by babies,load bangs/rockets etc etc f,,king wrong the general public should not have access to fire works and november the fifth ONLY and at paid to enter displays only.i will have this crap nearly every night from now untill february ffs.,i live 1/4 mile away from 6000 bloody peasants and lower forms but they all have money for fireworks!

Swap the word 'firework' with 'rifle' and then it gets closer to home.

Banning something because you don't like it is short sighted and narrow minded. Are you saying the firework is to blame? Like saying the gun is to blame for all the gang shootings or knives are the problem when it comes to stabbings.

Now banning the person(s) being antisocial or dangerous is another kettle of fish.

2 hours ago, Mattnall said:

Banning something because you don't like it is short sighted and narrow minded. Are you saying the firework is to blame? Like saying the gun is to blame for all the gang shootings or knives are the problem when it comes to stabbings.

Now banning the person(s) being antisocial or dangerous is another kettle of fish.

That argument doesn’t hold water. Firearms are controlled and there owners licensed, and they (we) can’t shoot them anywhere we feel like it, let lone in our own gardens. But anyone can buy fireworks at any time they are available for sale and let them off anywhere regardless of consideration for anyone else.

4 hours ago, Mattnall said:

Sorry, that just doesn't work.  More than a few irresponsible fools create the need for controls on access to dangerous stuff.  To take your argument to a logical conclusion it would require wholesale social controls to prevent "undesirables" access to otherwise freely available items. How would that be done and on what basis?

Much easier to control general access and then permit persons endorsed as safe.  Like firearms.  I'd be happy to see fireworks controlled much more tightly.  If idiots just hurt themselves I wouldn't really care overly but it's the harm and distress to pets and the risks to kids that need controls by society because we can't trust the idiots.

7 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Sorry, that just doesn't work.  More than a few irresponsible fools create the need for controls on access to dangerous stuff.  To take your argument to a logical conclusion it would require wholesale social controls to prevent "undesirables" access to otherwise freely available items. How would that be done and on what basis?

Much easier to control general access and then permit persons endorsed as safe.  Like firearms.  I'd be happy to see fireworks controlled much more tightly.  If idiots just hurt themselves I wouldn't really care overly but it's the harm and distress to pets and the risks to kids that need controls by society because we can't trust the idiots.

Precisely 

11 hours ago, Brillo said:

Firearms are controlled and there owners licensed, and they (we) can’t shoot them anywhere we feel like it, let lone in our own gardens. But anyone can buy fireworks at any time they are available for sale and let them off anywhere regardless of consideration for anyone else. 

You aren't allowed to let off fireworks anywhere you want, there are also age restrictions and nuisance laws.

Replace 'firearm' with 'air rifle' then, see how that now works.

However my point was not about the law but about the rash generalisations and the wanting to ban something that was not to your liking. What if it was TR guys saying there is no need for self loaders, or the hunters seeing no need for target shooting (or god forbid the tactical training thinly disguised as PLR or CSR), and having it all banned because one person goes crazy and breaks the law.

Don't ban the thing for the actions of the individual, apply the law and ban the individual.

52 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

You aren't allowed to let off fireworks anywhere you want, there are also age restrictions and nuisance laws.

Replace 'firearm' with 'air rifle' then, see how that now works.

However my point was not about the law but about the rash generalisations and the wanting to ban something that was not to your liking. What if it was TR guys saying there is no need for self loaders, or the hunters seeing no need for target shooting (or god forbid the tactical training thinly disguised as PLR or CSR), and having it all banned because one person goes crazy and breaks the law.

Don't ban the thing for the actions of the individual, apply the law and ban the individual.

I would agree in an ideal world, it's much the better way.  But I just don't know how that's to be achieved before the fact.  Mass profiling? 

ie how does society identify the wrong 'uns before they commit a crime/nuisance ?    I point at gun control (lack of) in USA resulting in horrendous acts for my example.

good morning,my idea is no fireworks in public hands,thats it .fireworks at well managed events with the public paying an admission fee,well sign posted and advertised well in advance,every one knows where the display is and when, fire arms are licensed so should fire works be, only to the safe and right minded people. a fire work by its very nature is an explosive all be it packed with a small amount of black powder but still an explosive,so should be properly licensed

13 minutes ago, banus02 said:

good morning,my idea is no fireworks in public hands,thats it .fireworks at well managed events with the public paying an admission fee,well sign posted and advertised well in advance,every one knows where the display is and when, fire arms are licensed so should fire works be, only to the safe and right minded people. a fire work by its very nature is an explosive all be it packed with a small amount of black powder but still an explosive,so should be properly licensed

Totally agree with that, I lost a young Labrador for a night due to someone letting off a huge barrage of rockets one evening, no warning, just BOOOOOM, I didn't know it was coming !!!

I never understood why, in this day and age of terrorism it's possible to buy explosives over the counter. I know a few rockets aren't going to take out a stadium  but I thought the powers that be like to site national security to regulate virtually anything and everything.