Quarterbore LR Varminter

Hi All,

I have always considered .25" cal. as the maximum diameter for a varmint rifle, with bullets as light as 75grns and up to 120grns including a very nice Berger 115 VLD.

I therefore decided to build a 25 cal as my latest project, which i finished last week.

The ballistics of the 25-06 looked very nice but i did not want the long case and the amount of powder it burns, so i chose the .257" Roberts Ackley Improved.

Its ballistically equal of the 25-06 but burning approx 12grns less of powder, it will also give any 243 or 6mm Ackley a good run for the money.

Here she is;

Finished_257_Ackley_001.jpg

The heart of the build is a Borden Timberline action, which was mated to a custom profile, straight taper Pac-nor supermatch barrel, sandwiching a Holland recoil lug.

Twist rate is 1-10 and it has 5 groove rifling, 1.200" at the breech for 3" tapering to an .813"muzzle dia. @ 26"

Finished_257_Ackley_004.jpg

The muzzle was threaded 5/8x18 and carries a modified Vais muzzle brake which i bored out, sleeved and re-threaded to match the muzzle thread and that of the Wildcat Mod.

Finished_257_Ackley_008.jpg

Trigger is a Rifle basix LV-1 and its shrouded by PTG combined bottom metal/trigger guard assembly.

The barrelled action was bead blasted/Durabaked and pillar bedded into a Mcmillan Remington Varmint stock, BDL Long configuration painted olive drab at the factory.

Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and rings carry a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 scope with target dot retical.

Finished_257_Ackley_009.jpg

Cases have been formed by necking down 7x57 brass, these were then given the usual BR prep and neck turned to give a minimum 75% clean up.

I only had a chance to fireform and zero with 10 cartridges on sunday as the conditions were absolutely appalling, strong winds and lashing rain.

Better conditions and some range time will get her up and running, watch this space for updates.

Ian

The pictures are not loading for me,,,,,

Sound great, would love to see it

Hi Ian

lovely rifle there chap, i would love to come down and see her in action some time,

just had my email back from the supplier of the Alpine/Timberline Actions and they have gone up to £975 including vat. :P

they where on his web sit for £750 now that is a price increase, how much was your?

did you make the brake your self, ? or did you do what we have and sent for one, mine has cost £100

well done chap,and again a cracking looking rifle

ATB

Colin ;)

Thanks guys,

Its strange that some can see the photos yet others cant, maybe its something to do with the individuals browser settings, i dont know its beyond me!

Laughing Boy,

I have not heard the phrase "257 Better Bob" but i like it :P

Col,

PRS had the action in stock but i had to pay an extra £35 for the custm bolt handle, that together with £15 postage down to Northernchris's took the total to £875.

The brake is a Vais from Brownells, i had been in contact with Ron Bartlet at Vais and he said that he could custom make me one with the coarser 5/8x18 UNF thread but he wanted twice the normal price and he is not set up for creditcard or paypal payments.

I therefore decided to modify a standard .875" diameter varmint brake to suit.

I will however be making my own brakes for future projects once i have completely finished overhauling my milling machine.

I am really looking forward to getting some range time in to do some proper load developement under reasonably controlled conditions, i will be posting the results in the near future.

Ian.

Hi Ian ,

A very nice looking rifle there!!!!!!!!!!!! :P;)

Shall look forward to see the results................

All the best..........

RAY................................... :D;)

I'm looking at this on a laptop running Vista, all I get with the pic is a grey box with a red cross within it.

Anyone advise, please??????

I'm looking at this on a laptop running Vista, all I get with the pic is a grey box with a red cross within it.

Hi ronin

contact wsm he runs a laptop with vista he should know.

ATB

Colin :P

PS the rifle looks very very nice, you will have to just take my word for it ;)

Looks a cracker Ian !

After seeing the finish on your rifle Chris was raving about Durabake (I have a couple of tins sitting ready to go as a result), I look forward to seeing it in person.

TC

Very nice Ian. Funnily enough, a chap has been in today with a .257 roberts, built on an FN mauser action, and very nice it was too. I think its only the 2nd one i,ve ever seen. Big in the states i believe ?

Very nice indeed! (Wish I new how to make stuff like that! :P )

Was the brake available direct from the States easily; or was it another one of these things they can't post to their staunchest allies?

WE GOT OURS DIRECT BD

but as Ian says they don't take credit cards, so we sent $ in a registered letter/envelope.

we all so sent them all our measurements and they should arrive ready to just screw on,and off we go

ATB

Colin ;)

Hi ronin

contact wsm he runs a laptop with vista he should know.

ATB

Colin ;)

PS the rifle looks very very nice, you will have to just take my word for it :D

Andy

I`m looking at the pics on the laptop right now and it looks sweet ;)

Its definately not the board settings blocking you because I`ve just checked and all the Mods permissions are no different than mine :P

I`ll ask Gary to put a request to Invision to see if they can shed any light ;)

very nice ian and an interesting calibre/cartridge, should make a great varmint round, love the look of the rifle nothing over the top just good simple one tone stock, the rem varmint stock is a great design simple but effective, good call on the bead blasting as well, the bare stainless barrel is just too bright especially when foxing in the daylight. I am looking into those borden actions myself they sound like good stuff, keep us updated on how she shoots.

I also cant see the pics but actually handled the rifle last Sunday, it really is a nice bit of kit. Not shot it yet but I am sure it will shoot as good as it looks. Those Improved 257 cases look pretty mean.

I am interested in your blasting finish on the metalwork, perhaps you could either post or mail me details as my current project will probably want toning down a bit.

Thanks

A

Guest northernchris

I am running Vista on my laptop with no problems.

Despite making some ajustments to my system I still cannot see the pics - frustrating or what :lol:

I dont suppose Ian, you could e-mail a coulpe to me, maybe that will work?

Archived