Quarterbore LR Varminter

Hi All,

I have always considered .25" cal. as the maximum diameter for a varmint rifle, with bullets as light as 75grns and up to 120grns including a very nice Berger 115 VLD.

I therefore decided to build a 25 cal as my latest project, which i finished last week.

The ballistics of the 25-06 looked very nice but i did not want the long case and the amount of powder it burns, so i chose the .257" Roberts Ackley Improved.

Its ballistically equal of the 25-06 but burning approx 12grns less of powder, it will also give any 243 or 6mm Ackley a good run for the money.

Here she is;

Finished_257_Ackley_001.jpg

The heart of the build is a Borden Timberline action, which was mated to a custom profile, straight taper Pac-nor supermatch barrel, sandwiching a Holland recoil lug.

Twist rate is 1-10 and it has 5 groove rifling, 1.200" at the breech for 3" tapering to an .813"muzzle dia. @ 26"

Finished_257_Ackley_004.jpg

The muzzle was threaded 5/8x18 and carries a modified Vais muzzle brake which i bored out, sleeved and re-threaded to match the muzzle thread and that of the Wildcat Mod.

Finished_257_Ackley_008.jpg

Trigger is a Rifle basix LV-1 and its shrouded by PTG combined bottom metal/trigger guard assembly.

The barrelled action was bead blasted/Durabaked and pillar bedded into a Mcmillan Remington Varmint stock, BDL Long configuration painted olive drab at the factory.

Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and rings carry a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 scope with target dot retical.

Finished_257_Ackley_009.jpg

Cases have been formed by necking down 7x57 brass, these were then given the usual BR prep and neck turned to give a minimum 75% clean up.

I only had a chance to fireform and zero with 10 cartridges on sunday as the conditions were absolutely appalling, strong winds and lashing rain.

Better conditions and some range time will get her up and running, watch this space for updates.

Ian

Good looking rifle Ian, gotta ask though , why the pepperpot on a field rifle? I would imagine it to be as welcome as a foreskin in a synagogue when you're out and about around Naseby. ;)

Just out of interest, have you been granted "vermin" on your ticket for the .257? Only asking as you could be setting a bit of a precedent for the rest of us in Northants :D Hope it shoots well for you when you get your loads sorted.

All the best.

Pete.

Chris

no mate, still blind on this post, had some help from members but it hasn't resolved the problem -

Maybe Ian will e-mail me a tantilising pic - pleeeeeaaaaase ;)

Hi Pete,

I like brakes but as you will see i also have a mod now ;)

Yep the 257 is cleared for all vermin and pests, fox, ground game and all deer.

As soon as i read that ACPO were recommending that shooters should be allowed to use their deer rifles for vermin control i applied.

I sent a letter DIRECT to the Firearms office and did not involve my FEO, asking for the condition to be amended quoting ACPO's recommendation.

Two weeks later FAC was back with the new condition.

Now, i regard FEO's in the same light as doctors receptionists, and thus do not contact my FEO if i have any firearms licencing business, my enquiries are always straight to the office.

If they then think i need a visit from the FEO them so be it.

Firearms enquiry officers are just that they have no powers to tell you yes or no unless they are delivering the answer form the firearms ofice manager.

To many shooters take what their FEO says as gospel so when he/she says you cant do that or you cant have this its never taken further, its not his decision!

I am saying this because i believe had i involved my FEO then the condition change would have not gone as smoothly and quickly as it did.

Ian

I share FEO with vermincinerator and would agree that he is not of an acceptable standard, tries to make the law up to suit himself.

His boss ( Bridget?) though is an excellent girl, really on the ball.

Did the ammendment cost or did they do it FOC, I might have to get cattle added to mine. Can you imagine what a ho ha that would be with the FEO. We have a wild bullock in the valley somewhere on the loose that may need taking out.

A

I share FEO with vermincinerator and would agree that he is not of an acceptable standard, tries to make the law up to suit himself.

His boss ( Bridget?) though is an excellent girl, really on the ball.

Did the ammendment cost or did they do it FOC, I might have to get cattle added to mine. Can you imagine what a ho ha that would be with the FEO. We have a wild bullock in the valley somewhere on the loose that may need taking out.

A

it should be free, you only pay to add a firearm to your license,unless you are swapping it.

if a bull was causing havoc and putting live stock or members of the public at risk, then i think you would be within your rights to shoot the bull.

after all it does not say dog on your licence but if one is worrying stock,or attacking it you can if so inclined shoot the dog.

surely this would be the same under the way your licence is worded.

ATB

Colin ;)

Yes it was free Geoff, I also have this:

Condition 10. The holder of this certificate may possess purchase or aquire expanding ammunition, or the missilesof such ammunition in the calibres authorised by this certificate and use only with (a) the lawfull shooting of deer; (;) the shooting of vermin, or in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife; © the humane killing of anumals; (d) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

Regarding section (d), does that mean i can shoot your bullock?

Ian

Yes it was free Geoff, I also have this:

Condition 10. The holder of this certificate may possess purchase or aquire expanding ammunition, or the missilesof such ammunition in the calibres authorised by this certificate and use only with (a) the lawfull shooting of deer; (;) the shooting of vermin, or in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife; © the humane killing of anumals; (d) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

Regarding section (d), does that mean i can shoot your bullock?

Ian

Not sure, I have similar condition on mine but a 6 month old calf is not exactly a threat to human life unless it gets on the road or railway line and causes an accident as happened to another cow from this heard last week. Trains are not really an issue though, takes more than a calf to stop them but it is unpleasant for the driver.

What bothers me is that I have heard second hand of an incident where a guy shot two dogs worrying sheep with a rifle, he reported what he had done to the Police but was prosecuted as he did not have dog on his ticket. In my book the above term is good enough, perhaps he did not have it.

A

I have also heard of the incident concerning the shooting of 2 dogs that were worrying sheep. The farmer was prosecuted for criminal damage. And his certificate revoked. It is my understanding that the farmer did not see the dogs worrying the sheep but shot them a short time later. This is not allowed, it has to be at the time of the event. Hence not complying with the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans. If you can't prove beyond all reasonable doubt that it was the animal involved, leave it alone.

Ian

I have now seen the creation (thanks Col), its lovely.

The Timberline looks spot on - only one thing I thought of the forward rail encroaches into the eject port a little - you considered changing to a one piece for aesthetics?

Just being picky really, it does look superb - love the brake, doesnt interrupt the lines.

Probably a silly question, how does it shoot?

Hi Pete,

I like brakes but as you will see i also have a mod now :rolleyes:

Yep the 257 is cleared for all vermin and pests, fox, ground game and all deer.

As soon as i read that ACPO were recommending that shooters should be allowed to use their deer rifles for vermin control i applied.

I sent a letter DIRECT to the Firearms office and did not involve my FEO, asking for the condition to be amended quoting ACPO's recommendation.

Two weeks later FAC was back with the new condition.

Now, i regard FEO's in the same light as doctors receptionists, and thus do not contact my FEO if i have any firearms licencing business, my enquiries are always straight to the office.

If they then think i need a visit from the FEO them so be it.

Firearms enquiry officers are just that they have no powers to tell you yes or no unless they are delivering the answer form the firearms ofice manager.

To many shooters take what their FEO says as gospel so when he/she says you cant do that or you cant have this its never taken further, its not his decision!

I am saying this because i believe had i involved my FEO then the condition change would have not gone as smoothly and quickly as it did.

Ian

Cheers Ian, I just wondered as I have a visit from the FEO next week, my renewal is the end of this month and I asked for a couple of new calibres, so I may as well see if he'll give me the vermin condition on my deer calibres.

Pete.

Cheers Ian, I just wondered as I have a visit from the FEO next week, my renewal is the end of this month and I asked for a couple of new calibres, so I may as well see if he'll give me the vermin condition on my deer calibres.

Pete.

I recon you now have every right to demand it but you might know the FEO will deny all knowledge and resist if it is the same one as ours. Please advise how you get on.

A

I recon you now have every right to demand it but you might know the FEO will deny all knowledge and resist if it is the same one as ours. Please advise how you get on.

A

i have spoken to the norfolk feo and he sees no problems with that calibre for vermin control

Ian

I have now seen the creation (thanks Col), its lovely.

The Timberline looks spot on - only one thing I thought of the forward rail encroaches into the eject port a little - you considered changing to a one piece for aesthetics?

Just being picky really, it does look superb - love the brake, doesnt interrupt the lines.

Probably a silly question, how does it shoot?

The problem with the Borden Timberline and the Stiller Predator for that matter, is that the rear reciever ring is the same diameter as the front reciever ring and does not have the scallop like the Rem

and Win.

This means that you need two front bases for the action so you have to purchase two sets.

The only thing i would do to, improve looks would to swap the front extension base for a standard one the same as the rear base.

I only managed to shoot 10 rnds the other sunday mainly to check that the fireforming and zero, so as of yet i cannot tell you how it shoots but will do as soon as i have finished the fireforming and completed the load developement.

Ian.

A

The FEO we have just got is Andy Jamieson, from your side of the county I believe. Seemed cheery enough when I spoke to him on the phone recently regarding his visit for my renewal. I asked for a couple of new calibres, 6mm and .20, I'll be happy to trade one of my .243's for the BR, I also want to do a .20 barrel and upper for my AR15, Mark Bradley built me a wonderfully accurate rifle last year and I see no reason why .20 wouldn't be as good or better.

The visit is next Wednesday and obviously other lads in Northants will be interested in my request for vermin on my deer calibres.

Pete.

• 2 months later...
The FEO we have just got is Andy Jamieson, from your side of the county I believe. Seemed cheery enough when I spoke to him on the phone recently regarding his visit for my renewal. I asked for a couple of new calibres, 6mm and .20, I'll be happy to trade one of my .243's for the BR, I also want to do a .20 barrel and upper for my AR15, Mark Bradley built me a wonderfully accurate rifle last year and I see no reason why .20 wouldn't be as good or better.

The visit is next Wednesday and obviously other lads in Northants will be interested in my request for vermin on my deer calibres.

Pete.

Pete,

How did you get on with the FEO's visit ?

A

Pete,

How did you get on with the FEO's visit ?

A

Was given the 6BR in exchange for .243, wouldn't give .20cal for vermin/fox unless I gave up the sporting condition on .223 and had it as target only.

I wasn't overly fussed at this, as for now funds would allow me to concentrate on the 6BR.

So the line up for now is:

.308 deer, fox, feral goat.

.243 deer, fox, vermin.

6BR deer, fox, vermin, ground game.

.223 small deer, fox, vermin.

.22lr vermin, ground game.

All the above with target condition and moderators.

Bit of a saga with ticket printing, and after the third time of it being returned, sometimes with different rifles, mods, or ammunition purchase being incorrect I've settled for the way it's printed now.

I'll work on the .20 later in the year, I like my AR15 in the field too much to give it up for target only, as I only go to Bisley or our local range a few times a year.

I'm not sure why ground game was added to the 6BR as I never requested it, but there you are, we do live in Northants with our own very special FLO.

I got the usual question, why do you want another .22rf for vermin when I requested a semi auto barrel and upper for my AR, again it was suggested I gave one up for target only.

I explained I was trying to help with time and paperwork by putting in for the additional cals. at my renewal but alas it's fell on stony ground, I had to put one .243 in to the gun plumber and return my ticket the day it landed on the carpet from the renewal, even though I'd informed them that rifle was booked in to be rebarrelled in 6BR in January. So another variation and two returns for reprinting with the correct information is where I'm up to at the moment.

Never mind new toy, new loads to play with, that'll keep me amused for another few months. Bought Wilson dies and a Sinclair arbor press to load the 6BR and I'm impressed, I'm tempted to change to Wilson kit to load the others as well.

Pete.

Archived