Section 5.

baldie

A good friend in the trade dropped by today with some great news.

The firearms act is being amended to remove the section 5 condition for expanding ammunition and bullets.

This means expanding won't have to go on ticket, or in the expanding missile register. Plus they will then be postable.

Basically all bullets and ammo will become section 1.

Also, when an FAC runs out, the police will grant another 8 weeks extension so ammo can be bought with it..

The cynic in me knows both points are being changed simply to aid the overburdened police firearms depts, but it bloody great news none the less.

A sensible bit of legislation for once.

I believe the full story is on the Countryside alliance website, and no doubt BASC too.

The amendments have to recieve royal assent before coming law, but that is never refused, simply have to wait for it now.

Yay, do you know if any other law society review recommendations were taken into law?

Most notably, removing moderators from section 1 and making them an accessory.

There's no mention of moderators being removed from section 1, only the information regarding expending ammunition and an automatic 8 week extension during firearms renewals (as long as the renewal had been submitted at least 8 weeks before date of expiry).

It was only passed yesterday, so more details may emerge and it's still subject to change, but unlikely as Baldie correctly points out.

Can we assume this does away with loose bullets adding onto your allocation of live ammo? (I realise there is dubiety with some as to whether or not this is correct, but my force and many others enforce the law as that, so that's what I've to deal with....)

Can we assume this does away with loose bullets adding onto your allocation of live ammo? (I realise there is dubiety with some as to whether or not this is correct, but my force and many others enforce the law as that, so that's what I've to deal with....)

The way things are looking, yes, expanding ammunition (specifically the type used for deer stalking and controlling vermin) will be treated no differently to non expanding ammunition. We just need to wait for it to be official.

Being posted expanding bullets.wow that will be something.wonder what the post office will make of that then.

Nothing if it becomes legal, I doubt the PO would know the difference between an A-max and a V-max.

The way things are looking, yes, expanding ammunition (specifically the type used for deer stalking and controlling vermin) will be treated no differently to non expanding ammunition. We just need to wait for it to be official.

I've seen the Deer stalking part mentioned in several places, but not the vermin part

Got a link?

David,

my point is its irrelevant whether expanding or not, both are inert by themselves and therefore not a problem for the post office or any other carrier. So why would one wonder "what will the post office make of that then".

Not just for deer, but for all except if designed with a pistol.....

“Controls on ammunition which expands on impact

(1) The Firearms Act 1968 is amended in accordance with subsections (2) and (3).

(2) In section 5 (weapons subject to general prohibition), in subsection (1A), for Paragraph (f) substitute—

“(f) any ammunition which is designed to be used with a pistol and incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on impact;”.

(3) In section 5A (exemptions from requirement of authority under section 5), in subsection (8)(a), after “which”, in the first place it occurs, insert “is designed to be used with a pistol and”.

(4) In consequence of the amendment made by subsection (2), omit section 9 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997.”

They always ask what you are posting.most have no idea what it when you tell them.they have this really unsure look on there faces.

I recently went into the local Post Office to send something recorded delivery. It was an A4 envelope with 3 A4 pages in it, so therefore it looked exactly what it was.

The sour faced cow behind the counter asked me what was in it and I replied 'What does it look like is in it? It's a 1mm thick A4 envelope!'

'I have to ask before I can post it, so what is in it?' Sour face replied.

Fed up with the ridiculous questions I said 'It's the latest ultra slim design bomb vest and it's going to the Taliban's main Kent headquarters for testing, so don't lose it'

'Ugh, that's £3.20' came the reply.

They always ask what you are posting.most have no idea what it when you tell them.they have this really unsure look on there faces.

Our post lady just says "Metal bits"? these days :)

Well,I am just pleased that the anomalies are much reduced,though no doubt someone will still find something restrictive in the 'designed for pistols' bit.

Seems to me a win for both shooters and firearms licensing,with sensible lobbying intended to do both.

What's to be gained by denigrating postal employees ?

gbal

I was informed that the Countryside Alliance originally got the story wrong in allegedly claiming that the law had been passed putting all expanding on S1. That wasn't (isn't) the case, and the Home Office apparently contacted the C/A and instructed them to amend the original statement, as the proposals have not yet gained Royal Ascent or been rubber stamped in Parliament...they are simply proposals until then. However, it looks almost certain that expanding will all become S1 and looking on the C/A site, it looks like they have amended the announcement to "...we look forward to them becoming legally binding in the near future...".

The gun powder transportation is going to be a problem.i heard tnt are not handling it anymore.apparentley they were bought out by FedEx and they are anti guns

I often thought an RFD could do deliveries of powder , expanding heads and even arms , once a week covering as many counties as the day allowed , it could boost trade and other RFD`s could work together and spread out a network and two fingers to the big couriers ....just an idea.

Buyers could meet and collect or home deliveries made , pre payment would ensure customers were in/turned up.

Archived