My first .308 Varmint.....

So I would say I have done plenty of research and so far found a few options I would like to own.

Firstly Remington 700 Varmint. Some bad press but very upgradable

Secondly Tikka T3... Not much known by me but the lads at the gun club rate them.

Thirdly my preferred option as I think it's very nice and so comfortable to hold... Browning .308 X Bolt Varmint GRS SF...

I would like your opinions... I have £1k for the rifle. Scope will be on top. But I'm after a good firearm for target shooting between 100-500 yards.

Tikka T3, consistently better build quality and a decent trigger out of the box. Well under your budget if you look at slightly used, there's a couple of T3 Varmints on another forum going for under £1000 including decent glass. I have two of them, a .260Rem in an MDT chassis and a .308, the .260Rem is a much nicer rifle to shoot than the .308.

Tikka T3 no doubt about it. I see "most" of the Remmy 700's as similar to a Ruger 10/22. A great gun......Once you've upgraded half the standard spec parts. Just buy one that shoots great straight out of the box. And a Tikka T3/Hunters is one of those guns....

Guest Stacka

Easy the most accurate out the box for the class.

96F5EB3F-555F-49C2-8CDD-CBDEB1043F4E.jpg

Above is a group using factory ammo, during the bedding in of the barrel. The bedding in rounds are well know for not being the most accurate.

My son has a tikka t3 super varmint 22-250 he got the trigger lightened and it shoots very accurately I've got the remington 700 sps tactical 308 had to replace the stock cos it flexes that much it touched the barrel and could not get a good group iv now got an accuracy international AT stock which has made it better but it was another £700 on top of the price of the rifle but still like it

Tikka or Sako, it is the only reasonable choice...don't buy anything beginning with R, or B... ;)

Best wishes

Finman

If you're looking at buying the Remmy SPS then don't - the stock is poor and if you don't want to upgrade it - buy a Tikka.

If your looking at the Remmy PSS - different rifle! Stock is good and there are some great aftermarket triggers for around £100

The Remmy PSS will always sell well s/h.

Howa 1500? OK rifle but, come to sell it and it's like a Skoda!

Guest Stacka

A Howa is like a ex-wife....good idea at the time, you persuade your mates she's worth every bit. Then after the big day she turns out to be a total pig, never works....then after you got rid of her you'll always feel the pain and loss of money.

A Howa is like a ex-wife....good idea at the time, you persuade your mates she's worth every bit. Then after the big day she turns out to be a total pig, never works....then after you got rid of her you'll always feel the pain and loss of money.

Like it!!!

Sorry Vince and Stacka, I'm loving my Howa and personally if I shoot the death out of it in the next two years and chuck it, it will not bother me a bit.

Respecting the Tikka fan club here I got lucky with my Howa - at £700 - and the slick bolt, coupled with the accuracy and I like the new Skodas - which are frankly a rebadged Audi without the 9 grand price premium.

The OP stated a budge of 1k which rules out Sako, Steyr, Blaser and Sauer.

The new Browning Eclipse looked very good at the CLA and good people to deal with, and the new Bergara looks interesting for the spec and price.

Srvet, do you know my ex wife by the way ????????? :blink::blink:

Guest Stacka

Respecting the Tikka fan club here I got lucky with my Howa - at £700 - and the slick bolt, coupled with the accuracy and I like the new Skodas - which are frankly a rebadged Audi without the 9 grand price premium.

You take that back ha ha......I'm on my 3rd Audi now, truely a different class.

Just go tikka any way buddy.....you won't look back

Here's my .243 Tikka T3 Varmint. Paid around £850 brand new, this rifle is the one that shot the groups above.

Hope you clean your T3 better than your boots :)

Guest Stacka

Hope you clean your T3 better than your boots :)

Ha ha, very true...they are waiting to go to Imperial War Museum to be preserved. They haven't been cleaned since September 2011

I have to speak as I found , I had a Remington BDL which shot like a dream until I burnt the Barrel and since then has been on a progressive upgrade and still bug holes now . I also have a T3 that has been up graded and that shoots brilliant but cannot comment on how it shot out of the box . So in the long term if you upgrade you cannot fail with either but have to say BDL was good as standard . . Have to agree with OP though , scope on the top , is definitely the best configuration ! :-)

Cheers. Dusty man. I thought that's where I should put it.

Still like the browning as out of the box it seems the most comfortable and just feels natural. I have not had anyone say 'don't go near them' most people I ha e spoken to have said there a good bit of kit. Let's face it what ever I do choose I will end up customising a bit or a lot. The browning is half way there with the stock I really like. Plus I can get it sub £1k. Scope wise I will probably end up with a temporary fix till I find the right solution second hand.

I had a shoot with a tikka and got to say it was ok. But it didn't fill me full of joy. The Remington I have had recommended and also some people saying avoid. But it seems to be the most upgradable platform to start on.

No easy this choosing lark. What ever I do I will be wrong in some eyes but I just have to live with it myself. Either way I will never admit I was wrong LOL.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

• 3 months later...

Archived