New bolt fluting style and guess what........

baldie

This is my newest bolt fluting style, available alongside the normal straight flutes, and the small helix flutes.

This one is called "Barley sugar " :D

Just done one on my own Tikka [pics to follow ] and also on this Sako 75.....yes you read that right.

This one style is available on the sako 75 and 85 . It works perfectly even with the case ejector underneath. All you can detect is the faintest "drubbing" from the bolt as its worked back and forth.

sakobolt1.jpg

sakobolt2.jpg

This is a tikka bolt.

tikkabolt.jpg

Remington bolts are also possible too.

This is a more involved process than the lighter fluting which unfortunatly makes it more expensive. Several new jigs have had to be manufactured to enable this style, hence the price of £150 per bolt.

Fluting stops a bolt locking if dust or sand gets blown in there....its not just bling.

Set up jigs and machining costs making those jigs, have to be factored in to the price.

Its the first sako fluting to be available for a long time. Plus the tikka and Remmy. I make no apologies for the cost. Considering the outlay, its a fair price.

Fluting stops a bolt locking if dust or sand gets blown in there....its not just bling.

Set up jigs and machining costs making those jigs, have to be factored in to the price.

Its the first sako fluting to be available for a long time. Plus the tikka and Remmy. I make no apologies for the cost. Considering the outlay, its a fair price.

not questioning the price, just wondered if there was any practical reason for the fluting......

tony

The tikka has a sloppier hole than our lass Ronny. :wacko:

The flutes will take any debris on the bolt. If its small enough to pass the gap, it wont hurt. If its bigger, its forced into the flutes as the bolt is rotated into battery due to where they finish.

The fluting looks superb Dave, a nice tight twist.

Yes it may be spendy, but if the original bolt is worn in usual places that they do, it will transform the looks of the rifle.

Given the set up costs, I think its excellent value, transforming "plain jane" into Miss Middleton....

Like it alot!

This is my newest bolt fluting style, available alongside the normal straight flutes, and the small helix flutes.

This one is called "Barley sugar " :D

Just done one on my own Tikka [pics to follow ] and also on this Sako 75.....yes you read that right.

This one style is available on the sako 75 and 85 . It works perfectly even with the case ejector underneath. All you can detect is the faintest "drubbing" from the bolt as its worked back and forth.

sakobolt1.jpg

sakobolt2.jpg

This is a tikka bolt.

tikkabolt.jpg

Remington bolts are also possible too.

This is a more involved process than the lighter fluting which unfortunatly makes it more expensive. Several new jigs have had to be manufactured to enable this style, hence the price of £150 per bolt.

I think it's pretty neat.

Not my cup of tea but neat all the same.

Also, I don't consider £150 to be expensive for all that work.

Remember if it goes wrong the machinist has to swallow the cost, so the price reflects the risk

Given the set up costs, I think its excellent value, transforming "plain jane" into Miss Middleton....

My new/old :o birds called Miss Middleton and she is a little twisted :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing that stands out for me and makes this different to other so called fluting jobs on bolts, is that the fluted machined finish is to a very high standard.

Obviously a lot of time spent on solid jigs and a good understanding of material and attention to detail shows through. Well done Dave. atb Lee

Something I have learned in my 42 years is that current girlfriends are usually sweethearts and ex girlfriends are all either twisted/mad/barmy !!!

...and dont poke them with sharp objects, they tend to punture.

Something I have learned in my 42 years is that current girlfriends are usually sweethearts and ex girlfriends are all either twisted/mad/barmy !!!

...and dont poke them with sharp objects, they tend to punture.

Bolts or Girlfriends?

Dave,

Looks the ballocks, Can you do the same to a Mauser M03 Bolt?

Dave

I have no doubt its possible Dave, but at over £1000 to just make up the fixture for an individual bolt, i would have to say no. There would be no way i,d ever recoup the set up costs doing Mauser bolts.

Sorry.

Funny you should say that Ian.....wait while the shooting show at Newark. ;)

Dave

It might be worth pointing out that if you go to Newark you're gonna be very lonely :ph34r: since the show is at Stoneleigh Park ...lol

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

That looks damn fine work and nice design , + 1 on being well worth the pennies spent . Think I might be having to talk to you soon as I've always thought of having it done on one of my rifles . Is there a calibre limit to the work ? A question I've always had re fluting and might be answering it my self , does it reduce the strength of the bolt in any way or does it not matter ? eg is all the load on the lugs during firing and the locking of the bolt into the action by the bolt handle is only to stop the lugs from moving and there is no load along the bolt back to the handle at all ? Always thought the latter but thought would take this opportunity to ask ( sorry if being a numpty ) , cheers Ian

Hillbilly question: If the bolt is so well fit to the action that the flutes pick up any debris, can't it also be said that the fluting has now also lessened the bearing surface of the bolt body and might therefore, theoretically,accelerate wear to either the bolt or the action itself?~Andrew

PS: $225 US for that work is a bargain.

Archived