Egg Shoot - 1000 yards!

Guys,

Just sounding you guys out for opinions.

Next year is the 150th of Diggle Range. We'd like to commemorate the occasion with a memorable shoot.

I know a few of you like the Egg Shoot but how about:

ONE thousand yards, ONE shot at an egg, ONE thousand pounds if you break it! Rules as per egg shoot - none - as long as you can carry your equipment single-handed to the firing point.

Would you travel for a one-shot shoot with a £1000 prize?

I see it as being a totally 'one of a kind' never to be repeated shoot, a 100 shooters with some (all) of the most accurate rifles in the country - good crack, food etc. maybe a commemorative 'I was there' medal.

Could it work or am I dreaming?

Cheers

Vince

Having only visited Diggle once and having never shot the egg shoot I don't know. Would it be possible to do the 500yd egg shoot in the morning and the 1000yd in the afternoon? Might make it more interesting for people and help attract people who have to travel a fair distance.

Sounds like a great idea

Its out of my league but would like to be there to witness it.

You could get a massive interest from the international scene and would help promote diggle.

It would be nice to see how the UKV boys do.

No pressure guys but we have high expectations

Mark

Thats a brilliant idea Vince.

What about making it a weekend, and having a 1000 yard fly shoot on the other day ? It would require a larger "fly " target, but that could be sorted i,m sure.

I would be more than willing to give you a hand organising it etc ?

Reminds me of the old 25m one shot through the polo hole competition at our old 22 rimfire range...great if you can do it, was only done twice in ten years with ~30 club members each year.

Either a full weekend or a one dayer

1000 yd Fly in Morning

1000 yd Egg PM

Awesome idea - would be in :D :D :D

You gotta practice!!!

Elwood - anyone who has broken the egg knows that there is a large slice of luck involved - I guarantee if we get 100 shooters, someone will do it.

When we shoot 1000 yard benchrest, we have a 'nearest to centre' novelty prize. Someone always gets within half an inch - it's been won several times with a standard rifle.

The other option dates wise would be to run it on the day of the 2011 Egg Shoot - Bank Holiday Monday, with a 1000 yd practice the day before (Sunday)

Dave - thanks for the offer of help - it will be needed if we can get 100 shooters! Maybe we can attract some prizes from the trade for near-misses.

Vince

any calibre?that sounds like a good idea-bit those that have never shot at a 1000yds myself included would need some form of practice-those that shoot long range regular would obviously have a better chance so if we turn up would we get a bit of pre-shoot coaching?

i think this would encourage a few more to join the various clubs for the differant disciplines-i for one have always wanted to shoot short range br but never had the balls to turn up and have a go-so whats the clincher?

Its a pity that the fun, the craic, and the general piss taking generated on a fly/egg shoot isn,t available in can,s.....otherwise everyone could enjoy it. :D

Any of you guys that have never been....you dont know what you are missing. Bring whatever you have, every damn gun under the sun gets used, and you will recieve all the help and advice you need. People positively fall over each other to help newcomers enjoy their day. Its a good introduction to all the Diggle regulars, and what probarbly is the finest range in the British Isles has to offer , which is virtually every rifle discipline going. All at "northern " prices too. :D

Bet most folk dont know that a years subs at Diggle are only £135 [ i think they were last year ] And it may cost you 50 p for a comp entry most weekends. That has to be the cheapest, most varied fullbore club in the UK. Its a veritable gem.

Goose or Ostrich egg for 1k ??

:lol: My reaction when I first read this was 'that'd better be an ostrich egg'.

Use a hen's egg and I think you could save hassle and effort walking to the point by just choosing to fire standing unsupported - I don't think it'd affect the probability of a hit by a noticeable margin 0.001 to 0.00099 ? :lol:

probarbly is the finest range in the British Isles has to offer , which is virtually every rifle discipline going. All at "northern " prices too. :D

Bet most folk dont know that a years subs at Diggle are only £135 [ i think they were last year ] And it may cost you 50 p for a comp entry most weekends. That has to be the cheapest, most varied fullbore club in the UK. Its a veritable gem.

That does sound rather good! :blush:

(But, as a shandy drinker, I don't even know where Diggle is (not even roughly)! )

Would you travel for a one-shot shoot with a £1000 prize?

I travel up every year for the egg shoot (so thats a total of twice now :rolleyes: ). Think it is one of the best comps going. Have never managed to make it to the Fly shoot yet. But both in one day at 1000yds. I'm there!

Rich

Guys,

I'm inspired by your enthusiasm. I just think that this could be a 'never to be repeated shoot' and one at which, in years to come, every accuacy-nut will want to say "I was there!"

Diggle Range is located about 10 miles NE of Manchester. It's about five miles from J22 off the M62 or, if you're coming up the M1, take J37 and go through Holmfirth or stay on the motorway until the M62 junction.

There is plenty of B&B accommodation close by.

Cheers

Vince

Guest richness

You gotta practice!!!

Elwood - anyone who has broken the egg knows that there is a large slice of luck involved - I guarantee if we get 100 shooters, someone will do it.

When we shoot 1000 yard benchrest, we have a 'nearest to centre' novelty prize. Someone always gets within half an inch - it's been won several times with a standard rifle.

The other option dates wise would be to run it on the day of the 2011 Egg Shoot - Bank Holiday Monday, with a 1000 yd practice the day before (Sunday)

Dave - thanks for the offer of help - it will be needed if we can get 100 shooters! Maybe we can attract some prizes from the trade for near-misses.

Vince

Brilliant :D Such a decent prize would help people make the effort to travel a long way :)

Archived