Need Recomendation for new boots

Had a pair of Meindle service issue boots for the last 4 years.

They were comfortable, waterproof and warm in all but the coldest weather.

The heel on both sides have now disintigrated and I need a replacement pair.

These were £130 when I bought them, but a similar pair is now circa £200.

The boots are a mid height design with closed eye loops in black.

I am looking (*quickly) for a replacement pair and am considering alternatives as I want something warmer in winter.

For an idea of usage - I wear them every day, am stalking once / twice a week on wet field, lowland hill terrain in all weathers - they have to be up to the job.

Considerations are;

Lundhag - Professional

Altberg - Field and Fell or Norway

Meindle - replacement - Army Gore

Anything else I should be looking at or recommendations / comment on the above choices?

Lowa's ?

Been using them for years and do the job very well.

Been on ranges for last few days, and been hearing some of my blokes moaning about how cold there feet where.

And they have been wearing the standard issue boots which are horrid.

However my feet have been toasty.

Kind Regards

Rob

Just bought a pair of Le Chameau Mouflon plus. The highest ones anyway.

At last dry feet. Even after falling once again into a bog hole boots were

slightly wet inside but very warm.

Very good support on the hill.

Never had any meindels, so can't compare.

edi

Just bought a pair of Le Chameau Mouflon plus. The highest ones anyway.

At last dry feet. Even after falling once again into a bog hole boots were

slightly wet inside but very warm.

Very good support on the hill.

Never had any meindels, so can't compare.

edi

Had a pair of Mouflon, didn't last 10 months until leather split on the banding around the sole, I'll never buy another pair. I now have Meindl Dovre, comfy from the off, waterproof and warm.

Had a pair of Mouflon, didn't last 10 months until leather split on the banding around the sole, I'll never buy another pair. I now have Meindl Dovre, comfy from the off, waterproof and warm.

Can only hope that's a once off....they don't even look beaten up.

My hunting pals have Mouflons in the fourth season going strong

except for a snapped lace.

edi

Can only hope that's a once off....they don't even look beaten up.

My hunting pals have Mouflons in the fourth season going strong

except for a snapped lace.

edi

Like everything I have they were well looked after, I bought them on recommendations from others as you did. I have heard that production has been sourced out and materials are inferior to earlier boots, really hope you get some wear out of yours.

Andy,

Didn't think: What size feet are you? If 9, I have a pair of barely used civvy meindl mountain boots you're welcome to.

Thanks Matt

but my feet are 11, (must be the hair)

Give Dave a shot at them.

Will look at Lowa - any particular model - I prefer black.

I had a lot of Lowa recommendations but wanted a high boot with less of an "issue" look.

I have a pair of Hunter GTX on order which seem to fit the bill and have decent reviews.

My link

Cheapest I could find was £166.

Tony

Ronin,

don't discount the Lundhag Professionals: from the Scotish hill to the African veld, these boots never have disappointed, they are superb. Warm, waterproof and bombproof and with a guarantee to match (had, in another pair of Lundhags-Scout- the sole delaminating, send them off to sweden and they came back with new soles, both boots). I know of folk who have been wearing them for 16 years and they are still going strong. I'd steer clear of the LeChameau, have heard that they don't last more than a season or two. Meindl and Lowa I don't know but, once I have had Lundhags, don't think I shall need another boot, or need to change them soon...

Finman

I'm with Finman.

Bought a pair of Lundhag midi boots about 3 years ago. Think the current price is about £240 and not had wet socks since unless doing silly stream crossings etc. Use mine with Berghaus yeti gaiters and the combination is spot on for anything. Last weekend whilst carrying a deer and a rifle I stepped into a moss covered water hole up to my nuts. By the time I put the deer down and my rifle I had been in for 30 seconds. Extracted myself and carried on wearing the same socks for the rest of the day.

Couldn't fault them except probably too warm for summer when I use a different boot anyway.

Andy

Danner Boots are definitely worth consideration, I use them for 'winter' boots down here, always accepting that this is the softie south, and may not be up to northern climes. :D

Red Deer Outdoors keep 'em in UK .... or that's where I got mine from 3 years ago.

ATB

P

I do a lot of mountaineering and some mountain marathons and use the same boots for my shooting. Asolo, they are light, warm and waterproof. They are around the £120 mark depending on what model you choose, I'm using the Fugitive GTX model at the moment. Perfect for hill, forest and dale.

All the best,

Jay.

I've had a pair of Lowa's for ~8 years now and they have never failed - warm, breathable & always waterproof. Even at £50 for a pair of the ex army ones they are worth a try. For the last 12 months I've been weighing up whether to get them resoled or just a new pair...

• 1 month later...

Guys

after much deliberation, I settled on a pair of Lowa Mountain GTX, at £145.

The boots are warm, comfortable and supportive - and will last a few years I think.

If you are ever passing through Appleby on the A66, I recomend a drop in to this spot;

http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_survival/index/

Absolute gold mine for kit....

Archived